Sep 29, 2005
Roundup: MLB 2K11 vs. MLB 11 The Show

Which baseball sim reigns supreme?

Read Full Article

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Show forces you to pull back and push forward with every swing, which was way harder for me to time. Switching between contact or power swings is a button press, which is a pain in the butt if, like me, you forgot to do choose before each swing.

Or, you know, you could go into the options and switch it back to the way it used to be: A simple button press to hit. That way, Square turns into "Power Hit", X turns into "Normal Hit", Circle turns into "Contact Hit" and Triangle becomes "Bunt".

Solves your problem quite nicely. And, in my opinion, is much more fun than the silly analog stick flinging.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
... I actually have no idea why I watched that.

I now challenge you, Mr. Tito.
Review a Cricket game so I may have my revenge!

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'm planning on picking up The Show this weekend. It's been years since I've played a good baseball sim (gave up on MLB 2K after '08's glitchfest). I remember playing Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr for like six years as a kid. Ah, those good memories of the super changeup.

It's good to know The Show is still regarded as high-quality now that I have a PS3 the play it on.

Go Yankees!

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
I'm going to go ahead and assume that the reviewer is not so interested in The Show or in the 2K series (or baseball, for that matter), which is fine in life, but becomes a bit of an issue when having to review the two games. The basic idea of doing a comparison exclusively centered on core gameplay is, frankly, near-useless to everyone who has played a baseball game in the last half-decade or so. Almost every single person who picks up either of the games will have a basic understanding of what a baseball game is and how it works. That in mind, any buyer's guide has to include an in-depth discussion of the modes of play and changes from previous years, and in general, things aside from the basic fact that you do stuff with the analog sticks.

Beyond just the basic structural component, statements like "The Show has been creeping up the standings..." fulfill the obligatory sports review cliche requirement, but are at best a misrepresentation of things, and at worst, objectively inaccurate. The Show has been superior to 2K for quite a while now, according to essentially everyone.

I don't mean to be too critical. It's entirely possible that the writer actually knows his stuff and is writing down to an audience he presumes has never seen a baseball before. I'm not sure which reality would be a better one, to be honest, but I do believe it's worth pointing out that large portions of the review are either nonsensical or inaccurate.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I wouldn't be doing my duty as a sports fan if I didn't correct something here.

"The ad campaign for 2K11 is all about how hard it is to pitch a perfect game both in the videogame and in Major League Baseball (even though there were 3 last season, er, sorry Colorado, 2)."

While both Roy Halladay and Dallas Braden were both able to complete perfect games, Colorado's Ubaldo Jimenez only had a no hitter going. I'm guessing that line is referring instead to Detroit's Armando Galarraga, who had a perfect game taken away when 1st base umpire Jim Joyce made the wrong call on what would have been the final out of the game.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
NeoAC said:
I wouldn't be doing my duty as a sports fan if I didn't correct something here.

"The ad campaign for 2K11 is all about how hard it is to pitch a perfect game both in the videogame and in Major League Baseball (even though there were 3 last season, er, sorry Colorado, 2)."

While both Roy Halladay and Dallas Braden were both able to complete perfect games, Colorado's Ubaldo Jimenez only had a no hitter going. I'm guessing that line is referring instead to Detroit's Armando Galarraga, who had a perfect game taken away when 1st base umpire Jim Joyce made the wrong call on what would have been the final out of the game.
And Edwin Jackson had a no hitter...with eight walks allowed.

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
Guys, The Show has Kevin Butler. Of course they get an automatic victory against MLB2K11.

Jun 30, 2009
Saying that MLB 2K11 represents the real game's intricacies as well as The Show is an insult to the The Show. It's simply not even close. You repeatedly say that things in The Show are realistic, but frustrating as hell. That's what makes it more like reality, 2K11 is far too easy and not even a somewhat accurate representation.

steelguy17

Aug 5, 2009
PoweD said:
Best Baseball game(Most fun):Super Baseball 2020 on the genesis
Had it loved it to death but those damn crackers got me everytime, and I hated the robot team with a passion that should not have belonged to an 8 year old.

Also I think the reviewer left out one very important thing is the game modes, sure you have season and dynasty, but The Show is all about The Road to the Show game mode and that definitely makes it worth the buy over 2k11.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
DustyDrB said:
I'm planning on picking up The Show this weekend. It's been years since I've played a good baseball sim (gave up on MLB 2K after '08's glitchfest). I remember playing Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr for like six years as a kid. Ah, those good memories of the super changeup.
Oh man, I remember that game! You'd have to be damn-near psychic to play with automatic fielding turned off, but it was still awesome. First game I've seen a game with accurate stadiums.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
SilentHunter7 said:
DustyDrB said:
Oh man, I remember that game! You'd have to be damn-near psychic to play with automatic fielding turned off, but it was still awesome. First game I've seen a game with accurate stadiums.
Remember that stadium preview thing where you could move the camera across whatever field you picked? I think I spent more time in that than I did in playing and beating Portal.

...I didn't have many games as a kid.

Judokast

Nov 19, 2010
I have to admit i am disappointed with MLB 11. I still play MLB 07 on the PS2 and i have to say aside from graphics, the gameplay seems alot better on that game then this one. I do wish i had the graphics of 2011 but the gameplay of 07. I am glad i still play 07 then, and play on the Xbox.