Router problems

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'd post this in Advice but that's deader than Dillinger. I don't feel like making an account in some PC troubleshooting forum but if anybody knows any good ones, you're welcome.

Laptop isn't connecting via router; recognizes the internet signal and appears to connect to my home network but there's no internet access (same deal with my mobile). Now if I hook up the computer to the modem via ethernet, that's fine, I get a connection AND internet access (here I am). So the problem's the router. And I'm officially out of ideas once turning it off and on doesn't work. Help?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sometimes my Wifi setting would just turn...off. Maybe that happened to you? Do not know why it got set to off, but it has happened atleast twice.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Saelune said:
Sometimes my Wifi setting would just turn...off. Maybe that happened to you? Do not know why it got set to off, but it has happened atleast twice.
You mean Function Key + F-whatever, the thing that enables you to see WiFi connections? I see mine and a whole bunch of others. Technically it shows as 'connected' and all, I just don't have any internet access at all. DNS problems say the failed-to-load pages.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Saelune said:
You mean Function Key + F-whatever, the thing that enables you to see WiFi connections? I see mine and a whole bunch of others. Technically it shows as 'connected' and all, I just don't have any internet access at all. DNS problems say the failed-to-load pages.
Like, going to options and settings, and under Wi-Fi, it is set to 'Off'.
No guarantee it is the issue, just giving you one possible but kind of odd reason. I am not computer savvy though, and hope someone else can help you better.

I am not referring to the list of connections though.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
type of router, conditions of use? Extreme heat or humidity can screw cheap ones.

Otherwise you might want to restore to factory settings, then see if there are any firmware updates out for your specific router. If you got it from an ISP as part of your net package it could just be that the router is buggered. Those things are super cheap and they can just die or stop recognizing devices.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
EvilRoy said:
type of router, conditions of use? Extreme heat or humidity can screw cheap ones.

Otherwise you might want to restore to factory settings, then see if there are any firmware updates out for your specific router. If you got it from an ISP as part of your net package it could just be that the router is buggered. Those things are super cheap and they can just die or stop recognizing devices.
It's this piece of crap. I don't remember where I got it but it's not part of the net package. Apparently my internet company only does modems with built-in wireless connection, though I could've sworn they're the ones who gave me this thing.

How do I even restore factory settings? Is it the reset button you can only reach with like a needle in the back? Because I already did that and that didn't work.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
Saelune said:
While you're connected via ethernet, try entering "192.168.0.1" into your browser's address bar. This should open up either a webpage or a prompt for you to login to your router itself. If you've used this page before, you should know the login. Otherwise, there's generally a sticker on the router that should tell you what it is. Failing that and if your router came from your ISP, call them for help. (Steps 0a, 0b, and 2 below can be tried even if you can't get logged in).

Once you're logged in, you should be able to see if your router believes its wireless connection is working properly. You can also make sure that the router sees your device as being connected to its network. If it doesn't show any obvious issues, here's some troubleshooting steps you can take.[footnote]Disclaimer of sorts: These are just kind of off of the top of my head potential fixes in the order that I'd try them personally. I've screwed around with a number of routers trying to fix various problems over the years, but I'm not trained nor employed doing this stuff.[/footnote]

0a. (Assuming you're on a windows pc), Try updating your laptop's wireless card's driver. In the search bar/menu bar type "Device Manager" and open the program. Another way to access this is through your Control Panel. Once you've got it open, open the "Network adapters" dropdown. Right click on your wireless adapter (should say "wireless" or "802.11" or similar) then click "Update driver" and follow the steps it brings up.

0b. (Assuming you're on a windows pc), Reset your laptop's wireless card. In Device Manager, right click on your wireless adapter again then click "Disable device." Once the app refreshes, wait about 30 seconds or so then right click on your wireless adapter again and click "Enable device." Feel free to restart your computer at this point, but that shouldn't be necessary. See if your connection is working now.

1. Check if your router itself needs an update. There should be an option for that in the management page you're logged into. If you can't find it, a google search for your brand and model can point you to it.

2. Fix loose connections. Turn off your router then completely disconnect the coax cable that plugs into your router from both the router and its outlet. Then reconnect the cable securely and turn the router back on.

3. This is where you should probably call your ISP if you haven't already. You can skip to 4/5, but they're a bit more permanent steps and checking what your ISP says would be safer to do first.

4. Factory reset your router. This can sometimes be done physically on the device, but, more likely, you can do it through the management page. If you can't find it, a quick google search for your specific brand and model should tell you how it works. This will reset any/all logins, settings, passwords, etc you have set up for your router and wifi.

5. Repair/replace. Depending on your personal budget, see what is your best option between the two. One thing to consider is what standard of wifi your current router gives you. The newest standards for wifi are 802.11n (2007) and 802.11ac (2013).[footnote]https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/12/30/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-wifi-whats-the-difference/#14ef17039574[/footnote] If you're not running at least 802.11n, replace the router completely. If you're running 802.11n, it is probably worth it to upgrade as well, but this will depend on prices and what your laptop's wifi card standard is (ie: a "n card" + "ac router" receives much less upgrade benefit than "ac card" + "ac router" upgrade). If you already have an ac version router, then it literally is a question of <price for nearest/best repair person to fix> + + vs . I'd lean towards replacing it especially if its just a cheap one, but it's entirely up to you.

Edit: Anyone know why some of my pointy brackets "" get turned into regular brackets "[]" but others don't?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Avnger said:
While you're connected via ethernet, try entering "192.168.0.1" into your browser's address bar. This should open up either a webpage or a prompt for you to login to your router itself. If you've used this page before, you should know the login. Otherwise, there's generally a sticker on the router that should tell you what it is. Failing that and if your router came from your ISP, call them for help. (Steps 0a, 0b, and 2 below can be tried even if you can't get logged in).
if 192.168.0.1 doesnt work, the best way is to open a command line window and type ipconfig /all while connected to your network. you will see a bunch of information, but look for default gateway. this is your router adress.

one way to troubleshoot this is to first try to ping your default gateway. if it respond, it confirm that your laptop is talking to your router.

then if you have a second computer that have access to internet via your router connected by wire, get the adress of that computer (again use ipconfig) and try to ping it. if you dont have another computer, you can always try to check the adress of your phone while connected to your wifi (even if it doesnt have internet access) and try to ping it. in either case, if it respond, it mean that your router does relay information inside your network, but for a reason doesnt let you access internet from the wifi. check the settings inside your router.

anyway. in any case if you never messed with it, and if what you showed before is your router, the user name and password of your router whould be "admin" all in lower case. once inside, i would recommand to check wireless mac filtering, and put it to off if it's enable. check if your DHCP is enable, and if your laptop is listed in the client list. disable any parental control, and access control rule management.

you can try the firmware update, however i highly doubt it would work.

if nothing work, or either if you dont remember the password or you cannot access your router at all, check behind it. there should be a button marked "WPS / Reset" (note that depending of your version, it can be two separate buttons, in that case, just push the reset one) and press it for at least 10 second, until the SYS LED becomes quick-flash from slow-flashs. it will factory reset your router. give it time to reboot and try to access your internet again.

after that if it's still doesnt work, you might considering buyong a new one.

note that all this is assuming that both your phone and your laptop have the same problem accessing internet through your wifi. if the phone work, then the trouble is most likely on your laptop side.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
You could try logging into the thing and checking what the settings are. That would definitely help to debug further.

EDIT: Also, where is the router physically located, and where are you trying to access it via your laptop?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
BreakfastMan said:
You could try logging into the thing and checking what the settings are. That would definitely help to debug further.

EDIT: Also, where is the router physically located, and where are you trying to access it via your laptop?
Right now everything's in the same room. I've turned the router off and just have the laptop hooked up to the modem.

I'll be trying the solutions offered above and see where that takes me. So far no dice.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
BreakfastMan said:

Right now everything's in the same room. I've turned the router off and just have the laptop hooked up to the modem.
What is next to the router? Is there a microwave next to it, or metal?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
BreakfastMan said:
What is next to the router? Is there a microwave next to it, or metal?
There's nothing wrong with the router's surroundings. It's been where it's been for the past 6 years. Just a TV, a modem and an unplugged DVD player next to it. The place is room-temperature, there's no humidity, there're no external threats to the thing.

EscapistAccount

Aug 18, 2017
So if it's affecting your phone and PC it's not the OS on either, if you can get a wired connection it's not the connection or probably not your router.

So what I'm getting is that you can connect and authenticate but then can't access the network. Can you disconnect from the wired connection, connect to Wi-Fi, open a command prompt or Powershell, run ipconfig /all and copy the resulting output to a text file then upload the output?

Best bet is that the password actually isn't working, that it is and the Wi-Fi connection isn't giving you a valid IP configuration or that something a bit more complex is going on. Have you monkeyed with your DHCP scope settings? Is it possible you've topped out your IP range or that you're issuing incorrect router parameters?

Additionally can you run ping 8.8.8.8 in a command prompt when only on Wi-Fi? The other option is your Internet settings are fine but you don't have any valid DNS servers.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The Wi-Fi may have gone out on the router, especially if its over 6 years old. Its about time for a replacement. Advice is to save up for a decent router. Currently I have an ASUS Router running custom firmware and have almost no connectivity issues, so long as I reboot it every now and again.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Pardon the tinfoil hat, but wasn't there a news that apperently Russia hacked a thousand routers?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055450-FBI-warns-Russians-hacked-hundreds-of-thousands-of-routers

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I didn't know asking stupid questions was against the forum rules.

Maybe I won't ask if it's been hacked by the Russians then.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
EvilRoy said:

It's this piece of crap. I don't remember where I got it but it's not part of the net package. Apparently my internet company only does modems with built-in wireless connection, though I could've sworn they're the ones who gave me this thing.

How do I even restore factory settings? Is it the reset button you can only reach with like a needle in the back? Because I already did that and that didn't work.
I've used that thing, weirdly enough. Mine similarly died after some period of time significantly less than one might hope, and if the hard reset didn't do it for you then it may just be donion rings. If you search the router name with the words firmware update you should find something, but if you haven't done anything to this guy and it just went out on its own then its probably old and fried.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
EvilRoy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
EvilRoy said:

I've used that thing, weirdly enough. Mine similarly died after some period of time significantly less than one might hope, and if the hard reset didn't do it for you then it may just be donion rings. If you search the router name with the words firmware update you should find something, but if you haven't done anything to this guy and it just went out on its own then its probably old and fried.
Yeah I'm beginning to suspect that's the case. There was a massive powerout for a couple of weeks. Internet connection came back and works fine via modem, but router just doesn't respond. Chances are it just died on me. Ima try with a different router tomorrow, see if that works.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Try changing to a different channel.
For 2.4GHz routers (the most common), channel 6 is the default for most routers, so stay away from it. Try channel 1 or 11, the other two other non-overlapping channels. For 5GHz wireless N or AC routers, you shouldn't have much of an interference issue since it's less commonly used.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I tried a second router, connected it to the modem, laptop was able to connect to WiFi... but still no internet access. Same old "DNS problems" page every time I try to go online. I know it's not the laptop's problem (it connects to other WiFi signals just fine, like at work) and I doubt it's the routers (two of them?!). The modem works fine when connected directly to the laptop (case in point)... is it possible the problem is the modem's connection to the routers? Like the massive power outage removed its ability to go WiFi?