Rowling Almost Killed Ron Weasley

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I think she made the right choice. I mean, Fred? Sirius? Lupin and Tonks? HEARTBREAK ANYWAY. Ron would have been too much. Although I have to admit I almost thought he might have a face-heel turn in DH, 'cos I flicked through when I bought it, just sort of looking at the pages but flicking them so I couldn't read it, and accidentally read a broken bit of sentence which read: -I'LL KILL YOU, HARRY!' shouted Ron.
Turned out it was 'cos Harry wanted to save Malfoy, but still. Worried much..

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
If Ron had died, Nevile would have been a close second in the 'who gets to marry Hermione' thing. He turned out to be a teacher after all, and I'm sure Herimone would have become one as well...assuming she isn't already...I have no clue what she ended up doing after Hogwarts (unless of course her, Ron and, Harry are ALL Aurors)

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
the spud said:
He was always kind of necessary for comic relief in my eyes. Killing him off would seem like a mistake. Oh well, it is kind of nice to know that sometimes people do stuff purposely to piss off their fans (and I miss Fred too).
That's what I was thinking. It was nice to break up the seriousness every once in a while, otherwise it would get very boring.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
michiehoward said:
Ron was the soul of the Trio, Hermonie the heart. And Harry was the mix of two because he was the leader.
Surely Hermione would have been the brains of that outfit, and Harry the heart. Just sayin'

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I started thinking I might polish one of them off. Out of sheer spite. 'There, now you definitely can't have him any more.'
Sounds like she's talking about the fangirls who kept writing bad fanfiction about him. I know this series was notorious for that.

It's funny, actually. Twilight seems to be specifically geared toward that sort of people, but I never hear about them writing bad fanfiction for it. Maybe nobody bothers writing any because it's already exactly identical to what they'd all write anyway.

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
I believe that Rowling fucked up here. She should have went with her gut. I can truly say that Ron is the least favorite character of mine. I was upset that all three made it through till the end. She obviously had no problem killing off 'main' characters, so why did all of them live through it?

Instead of providing the catalyst that Harry needs to forge his way to greatness, Ron ends up with the best deal out of everyone. He gets to help George with the shop and gets to sit back while Hermione ends up being a barrister for the MLE, taking all the money home while he emulates his mother. Hermione and Harry both have careers and deal with reshaping the Ministry, Ron gets to play Exploding Snap and help George develop new pranks.

Out of everything that's what angers me the most. Ron doesn't change, at all. Yes there was some bravery in book 7 but really, he ends up living his dream, if not being a Quidditch player. He's lazy, self centered, jealous, and idiotic. And Rowling would have done the whole series a favor by killing him with fire.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I always thought Hermione should have married Harry to be honest. Harry and Jenny just seemed like Rowling was forcing two opposite shaped puzzle pieces together with scissors and glue.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
CastedPhil said:
Sounds like someone's trying to bring attention back to her series
Considering the vast popularity of Pottermore, which is literally More Potter, I don't think this is a stunt. I'd say it's just something that was said in an interview on a slow news day.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I hate her... she kills every single character i like and leaves alive every character i feel is shit...except Luna.

Ron dying would of been nice though.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I'm glad she didn't. Even though the books get darker as they go along it still had that fairytale feel to it and killing Ron would've ruined that. I like how she keeps revealing information like this. It's nice to understand her thought processes and ideas that she didn't get to write into the books. Hard to believe she got the idea simply from walking into a train station.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
D Moness said:
Safaia said:
I was disappointed she didn't kill one of the big three off. About halfway through the series I would have put money down that one of them was going to die. I didn't get the 'everything is going to end in sunshine and rainbows' vibe from her until that fucking epilogue.
Epilogue .. What epilogue. Oh you mean that terrible fanfiction add-on. In my opinion the deadly hallows is the worst book of the series. Up to halfway i really got bored reading it.
I agree with you there. It's a shame this was the movie they decided to split up into two parts. The book should have been called Harry Potter goes Camping

redeemer09

Jan 19, 2009
ron was a 3rd wheel.why she never kiled him is beyond.me bet warner bros money was invovled

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
vansau said:
I'm not going to lie: I sort of adore the fact that Rowling almost killed off one of her main characters simply out of "spite." I'd have much rather had Ron bite the big one instead of Fred Weasley, but I guess someone had to marry Hermione.
JK actually almost had one of the Weasley Twins marry Hermione. So it probably would have worked if Ron had died.

Still, I find this pretty interesting. I really love how the last book came out years ago, but there is still so much to learn about the Harry Potter universe.

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
I probably wouldn't have been too happy if Rowling had done that... but hey, just a book right?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Should have killed them all. most of them were pretty stupid, i cant see how they survived that far, unless it was part of the plan due to harry carrying evil soul. and yes this is a spoiler, so there you go.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Every time I hear a story of an author deciding to kill off a character because they're in a foul mood or sparing a character because they grow some affection for them I can't help but think of a deity. The author, given all this power over the universe that they have created, holds life and death on a whim. I know some people malign happy endings, but I've always preferred my Gods be merciful.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Killing off children in movies is kind of a big deal, I can see why she might have avoided it. It's a potential disaster waiting to happen. And while she may have written the books first, I have no doubt that the last couple of them were written with the intent of being easily translatable into movies.

Hey, at least she killed off Snape, that's pretty gutsy. He's a favorite of a lot of the older readers.