Roy, Ryu Data Uncovered in Latest Smash Bros. 4 Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Roy, Ryu Data Uncovered in Latest Smash Bros. 4 Update

Sound files for Fire Emblem's Roy and Street Fighter's Ryu have been uncovered in the latest Super Smash Bros. update.

Yesterday, an update went live for Lucas [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/super%20smash%20bros%20wii%20u?os=super+smash+bros+wii+u].

Two of the Roy and Ryu sound files are in the exact same format as all of the other character's victory music, which you can check out here [https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhbakdk7wt30r5x/snd_bgm_Z81_F_Ryu_3DS.wav?dl=0]. Roy's victory music is the Fire Emblem main theme, and Ryu's is appropriately the Street Fighter theme. Additionally, there is a second Ryu sound file that seems to be related to a new Street Fighter-themed stage. Can't have a new franchise character without a stage to play him on, after all!

Roy was actually a Smash Bros. character back in the Ike [http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Roy_(SSBM)]. Ryu, has, of course, never been in a Smash Bros. game before, but considering Nintendo's partnership with Capcom in bringing Megaman to the game, adding the iconic martial artist as a new character doesn't seem too big of a stretch.

While it's a bit early to say these characters are completely confirmed, keep in mind these are official game files being dug right from the guts of the 3DS version of the game, and added only in the most recent patch.

Source: reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32nymz/smash_update_106_decrypted_first_observations/]

Sep 14, 2009
oh no...

HADOUKEN spam, it's either gonna be under powered to hell and back, or it's going to be the next final destination + fox only character.

I do welcome roy to return though, not that I don't kick ass with ike, roy was always my favorite.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
So more fire emblem characters? Great, don't have enough of those.

I guess they are getting the clones out of the way since they seem to be all coming back but I hope they plan on expanding some of the other franchises at some point.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Datamining has really taken out all the magic out of video games. XD

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Kinda expected Roy would reappear (such as Mewtwo did).
Ryu is...pandering. Why not Ladd Spencer? He was another Capcom character that had a big roll on Nintendo systems...

NoeL

May 14, 2011
C'mon Nintendo, let's get Simon Belmont on the roster already!

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
NoeL said:
C'mon Nintendo, let's get Simon Belmont on the roster already!
I was just about to say... couldn't agree more! The Castlevania franchise has always seen a good deal of success on Nintendo, especially the first three titles and the Metroidvania games on the DS. Plus he'd be a perfect fit. Can't you just already see his move set? Up+B is Super Jump, Right+B for the boomerang-esque cross, and his Smash Attack could of course be the Holy Cross attack. Come on, Nintendo!

I'm not really interested in Roy. Smash Bros. has far too many Fire Emblem characters for my liking already. And Ryu? Isn't he in enough fighting games already? Couldn't we get like, I dunno, Zero (Mega Man Zero series) or Arthur from Ghouls 'n Goblins if we're going for another Capcom character?

If Nintendo is already scraping the bottom of the barrel, they might as well throw in Bayonetta or Travis Touchdown instead of clones.

Virtual Boy

Feb 21, 2015
Ryu is cool and all, but I was hoping for someone more... Interesting. To me the charm of Smash Bros. is the fact that the characters are a bit out of place in a fighting game.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Eh, one could make the Argument that Street Fighter 2 was a Huge part of the SNES (Though I'm sure it was also on Genesis), so one could argue that Ryu does fit into Smash Bros. However, if this is true, I kind of feel like someone else would be better then Ryu from Smash.

My younger brother played Roy all the time in Melee. I know a lot of people missed him (And Pichu and Mewtwo) in Brawl, so it's nice they're bringing him too (If this is true). Odds are he'll be the first guy we buy for Smash (Unless we do end up buying Mewtwo).

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Davroth said:
Datamining has really taken out all the magic out of video games. XD
Yea, pretty much. It's also hard to avoid spoilers like this too.

I remember a few months back when the "Binding Of Isaac Rebirth" Dev got pissed via reddit because people data mined the game for all the info and what not within a week. (Since he wanted the game too last a couple of years with it's secrets)

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I hope they change up Roy's moveset or something. They probably won't but this will make three characters who share Marth's moves.

I have no problem with the inclusion of Fire Emblem characters, I'd just like to see a bit more variation is all. The series has pegasus knights, dragon knights, mages, heavy knights, cavaliers, lancers, manaketes (dragon people), and it seems like all we ever get in Super Smash are Lords. I know that the Lords are typically the main characters, but they can do more than just swing a sword in the same way as Marth.

At least use Soren or Merric instead and borrow some from Robin's moveset, replacing the sword with some more magicky looking attacks.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Please, no more Fire Emblem characters. Ryu, I'm cool with that. I love Street Fighter. I was voting for Simon Belmont though.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
At first I got Roy confused with Dan (thinking both characters were from Street Fighter). Now that would have been an interesting character to add.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Really wish they hadn't plonked these files in with the patch if they are true, people will always mine this stuff for fun and find it, you gotta keep a tight lid on anything nowadays.