RPG Character Appearance

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I make them look as stupid as i possibly can. Out of proportions is always the best with freaky feet, hands and heads on tiny bodies and massive necks. Female characters with fat bellies and tiny breasts. I want my characters to look as stupid as the things they can do in the game worlds because i tend to enjoy games far more when their stories are rendered silly by my character design. The old wrestling games were hilarious when you made your arms too long and the animation just made a complete arse of it. The first saints row was amazing for it's character editor aswell...i had stick thin giants with massive ears and mouths that just looked mental.

I'm always disappointed when a game gives you an editor but doesn't allow you to step out of the game world to make it stupid. 10 different boring generic hair cuts, 10 different face set-ups...you know...boring...bland...waste of time...worthless. Don't give me an option if the choice is 10 shades of the same shit

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Human characters tend to look more like me, in the Elder Scrolls that would be in the case of Nords, Imperials or Bretons. Elves and Beastfolk just look like badass dudes with prominent and memorable features.

I like to make them look rugged and normal at the same time.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Depending on the class I play.
But I usually aim to making my character's physique to be around 18-20ish. General body structure slightly shorter/smaller than the average person. No facial hair. Roudish jaw - what you would call child like.
Then if I am melee - I use black hair, Range classes Blond hair, Magic silver/white hair. Hair style is either natural or spiked back. Or something along those lines.

I don't know really why. In every RPGs I played with others I usually play the youngest and weakest character. I think it is called underdog complex - or something like that.

I think it is because of the fact that in real life I am: Tall, massive torso build, wide shoulders, strong legs, wide neck. My face complexion is strong and powerful, my eyes are quite "small" looking because they are quite "deep" in my face and people generally say I look scary. Specially when I look the in to the eyes. Many girls I have spent time with me say that don't smile and look at them because I look extremely Sinister. And I have deep voice, I am a Bassbaritone on my voice range and have extremely loud and powerful voice and I speak in very deliberate voice and people listen to me. Thats where I got Minister. Hence why my handle and artist name is "Sinister Minister"

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
If there's an option to have a female MC I tend to pick them and make them super pretty.

Saint's Row, GTAO, Skyrim... All supermodels :p

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I try to make them at least decent looking, but it depends on the game.

In PS3 Skyrim, it's pointless since you rarely see your character's face at all, so I'll usually just mash some random sliders together and call it a day.

Dark Souls depends on the build of the character. If s/he'll be wearing a helmet for most of the game, then I just mess with hair and basic features and move on. If not, then I'll put more effort into it.

Mass Effect, however, required a perfectly sculpted character because it is entirely your story. Your Shepard has a unique story to everyone else's (within reason), so it's appropriate for him/her to have a unique face to go with it.

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
If it's a male character, they tend to look like Conan. More the barbarian, than the O'Brien kind, though that's mostly due to the lack of hairdo choices with swirly tops. Female characters tend to stay as the default the game made them look, with a ponytail if it's an option.

Never have any luck when messing around with the advanced customization options. Everyone usually develops a face the shape of a frying pan.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I usually make them female, but otherwise do whatever the hell I feel like at the time. If it's a sequel, I will try and recreate the prior character(s) I did, but otherwise, the sky's the limit.

tippy2k2 said:
Short dark blond hair, a goatee, white skin, etc. (see my profile pic if you're interested for some strange reason).
You don't look like your avatar? I am disappoint.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
tippy2k2 said:
Short dark blond hair, a goatee, white skin, etc. (see my profile pic if you're interested for some strange reason).
You don't look like your avatar? I am disappoint.
In my defense, my avatar was the first thing created by me when I was in college (so...shit, now I feel old. That was almost a decade ago). On the plus side, I've lost a good amount of weight since then. On the negative side, now I'm old...

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
I do my very best to make them look like me.

I do generally cheat on my weight though because I'm sad that I'm a fatty :(
If that is so, then simply dress in Victorian garb and grow mutton chops. It's a good look.

OT: I usually go for something that looks like a face I have seen before and can remember clearly enough, or failing that, I go for an absolute abomination.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
In my defense, my avatar was the first thing created by me when I was in college (so...shit, now I feel old. That was almost a decade ago). On the plus side, I've lost a good amount of weight since then. On the negative side, now I'm old...
At least you look like a pimp.

But I know how you feel. I'm 34 later this year. My girlfriend, in her twenties, is complaining about feeling old, and I'm all "Puh-lease."

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
I suck at character creation, they never look normal so I usually cycle through the presets till I find one I like and then make a few small changes.

I never thought it mattered to me what my character looked like until I started a dalish ranger in Dragon age I made his skin tone too light, so I had to restart after about 5 hours cause I couldn't stand looking at him any more! He's a hunter who's spent his entire life out doors, he should at least have a tan!

In saints row my Boss is a silver skinned blue haired female (because screw the canon) alien with snake tattoos around the eyes who dresses in either black and purple or black and red. She looks ridiculous and I love it

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Generally I try and role play with my characters, In Dragons Dogma, which I've just started and is giving me no end of difficulty, I made a strider that looked like me and a tiny, rosy cheeked little Mage pawn to pimp out. I quickly became bored and made a busty yet classy sorceress lady named Elune, her pawn, Beatrix the Jackal is probably the coolest character I've created. She's a dark skinned fighter with golden eyes and short, grey hair severely cut. She's beautiful and strong, with warrior tattoos and scars.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
SnakeTrousers said:
Kyrian007 said:
The only real memorable "looking" character I made was for "The Godfather." Wish I could get a screenshot (I'm at work) because it was possible in that game to make a character who looked and dressed exactly like Ricky from Trailer Park Boys. Which placed into the context of "The Godfather" made that game the best comedy game I've ever played.
Goddamn that is the most perfect thing I've ever heard.
Wow that's fucking awesome

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
I always try to make my characters look cool. If the character is male, I'll typically give him short dark brown or black hair, blue or grey eyes, and a goatee. When I play a female character (which I find myself doing as much or more than male characters), she'll always have shortish dark red hair and green eyes. In either case, if there's an option for one of those vertical scars across one eye, I pick it because that kind of scar looks badass.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I always turn them into the most warped sins against nature possible, especially in dialogue heavy games with lots of face closeups like mass effect.
The sex scenes. Oh my god those sex scenes...

vIRL Nightmare

Jul 30, 2013
Fit character of average height and weight, Caucasian, brown hair (if possible a cherry brown wood stain color) with a short beard, blue or green eyes, if applicable age around 27-33 years. Should facial features be an option I try to go with something that conveys good humor and confidence.

This character just kind of stuck out when he first came to fruition pretty much my standard ever since.

Oct 2, 2012
I used to make characters either look as similar to me as possible if male and fit to my idea of attractiveness if female.

But these days I make them look kind of generic but not a handsome/pretty generic, more of a plain or average looking generic.
My characters usually aren't ugly but they aren't very good looking either. Don't have any screens though :/

Only exception would be the beast races from Elder Scrolls. I usually make them look really badass and unique for some reason.

Yeah, I'm boring :p

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
I have a weird thing where almost all my RPG characters are black(or Tan) female characters.
This weird kick started with my redguard character in skyrim, and after playing a bit i decided it boring to always have a white character, especially in fantasy settings, and from then on I stuck with the idea.
Yes, it's weird i know...

examples:

Not original redguard, but a remake on my PC

What is with DA2 and the tiny ass propics?
Also, the character skin doesn't go dark enough until i modded it in. how rude bioware.

OH, forgot this mess of a face
and several more.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Either like me before I was baldish (usually not even an accurate option for it anyways), or something else entirely.
Depends on my whims.

In Saint's Row IV I was President Satan until I got plastic surgery to become President Cardinal Darth Silver Surfer.

In Skyrim I'm Odin Alföðr. A huge burly ancient viking.

Like an Ultramarine in Champions Online.

Like MegaMan or Zeus in Minecraft.

*shrug*

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Young with white hair, maybe a scar.

I like to imagine that my char at the beginning of such RPGs is a pretty unexperienced maybe naive guy that will be dragged down to harsh reality pretty fast.

Theres a black haired power hungry version too if i feel like playing an evil char (if the game lets me that is)

But thats about it... nothing outlandish.

Also no fat characters because its immersion breaking for me to have a fat guy scale a giant dragon to attack its weakspots or to dash around the battlefield like an olympic athlete (looking at you dragons dogma) It might be hilarious to look at but the novelty wears off rather quickly.

Same for crazy looking chars that look totaly out of place, simply immersion breaking for me.