RPG game for noob girlfriend

Udyrfrykte

Jun 16, 2008
So, I've been telling her that she should try out a game some time, since she's had close to NONE gaming experience before in her life, and like the nerd I am gaming is dear to me.
I suggested she should play a nice RPG, since it's rather slow paced and focus on story and all that.
Anyone got tips? And possibly dont bring on superweird JRPGS with furries and tentacles, she's not nerdy at all. I've thought about FF7 though (I've mostly just played/enjoyed the FF series).

oh, and for PC! And a somewhat older game, it's for an old laptop. Or possibly for the Wii (if there are any decent RPGs on Wii and if i can part with it for some time)

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Hmmm... that is a tough one... don't know if some big, sprawling RPG is right for a gaming noob.

But for good, old RPGs for PC... you have Morrowind (not a good idea for a noob) and Deus Ex (only played like 15 minutes of it, but I know that it is not right for a noob).
Maybe she should stick with less complicated games until she is comfortable with games.
Then get her Morrowind.

EDIT-

Irridium said:
Fable 2

Oh, for PC.

um... KOTOR?
Good idea, KOTOR is just what she needs, not extremely complicated, story-driven, and entertaining.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Get Fire Emblem. A fun strategy RPG with an interesting cast of characters.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
The Longest Journey or its sequel might actually not be a terrible place to start.

Not really an RPG, I know, but it's slow-paced enough for someone who isn't used to gaming, but good enough that it will leave a positive impression. Also, a female protagonist is probably what you want in this case.

Rhade

Jan 2, 2010
Some facebook game or advertised-in-banners-looks-like-it's-made-with-Flash games. They're usually not real hard. Not real good either, but whatever.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
As someone has said before me, The Sims is a good place to start because it's laid back and doesn't really punish you for screwing up.

Diablo II is a good choice (it's simple to play but still has a lot of satisfaction as far as leveling up goes) but it's heavy and dark atmosphere and design might make it inappropriate for you're girlfriend's first RPG.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I think an RPG woul dget her addicted so it's a good plan. I'd go with... an emulator with Advanced Wars. That game is fun. It's strategy though.

But fire emblem works very well. She can go as deep or shallow as she wants.

But serious RPG, I'd have to say, no to Oblivion. How about Diablo? I know plenty of girls who like it. Demi-God? BLACK AND WHITE! not rpg's but... I think they're great newbie games.

GET HER A FIVE DOLLAR GAMEBOY AND LET HER HAVE AT IT WITH POKEMON SILVER!!! hehe, seriously!

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Does it have to be an RPG? I remember the first PC game I've ever played was an adventure game (i.e. Buried in Time) and hooked me to the medium since then. They're heavily story driven and involve creative thinking, which most girl gamers I know tend to like. Telltale exclusively develops adventure games, how about starting her off with Sam and Max?

The last thing you want to do to a new gamer is intimidate them. Avoid games like The Elder Scrolls since they require metagame knowledge of the mechanics to play properly.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
KOTOR (or Mass Effect if you think the laptop could handle it) seems like it would work pretty well.

Though not an RPG, Beyond Good and Evil isn't that hard, and seems like it would be a good start.

Baldr4500

Jan 11, 2009
Maybe Fable the lost chapters it?s pretty easy fairly linear progression no stat management to deal with.

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Hand her Knights of the Old Republic, help her out with the character creator (explain what the points do, why she should put them there, if she has any real trouble), and then answer any questions she might have. Star Wars is a familiar setting, Jedi are awesome and the learning curve isn't that difficult. It's easy, fun to play, and set in a universe that she will already have experience with.

The first console game my first boyfriend had me play with KoTOR, though I was familiar with N64 beforehand. (So one cannot say that he got me into gaming altogether.) But KoTOR was what got me hooked. And it is not, NOT too difficult for a noob to play.

Plus, by now it's cheap.

EDIT: But this is only if she's actually interested in learning to game. Trying to force your girlfriend to change is generally a bad idea and one she will certainly not appreciate. If you are the the one pushing and not her asking, or if she's only doing this to make you happy or because she's afraid of losing you, I'd suggest you stop altogether. It'll most likely end with you losing her.

Just an extra bit of advice.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Final Fantasy X, probably. The story is a great personal one with an emphasis on romance, and the battle system isn't time-based at all, so you have as long as you want to pick your options. Also, since it has voice acting and better graphics, it might be a better introduction to gaming, since it might be kind of hard for a noob to take the dated graphics and subtitles dialogue of FFVII seriously.

Personally, VII is my favorite, but I think X would be better to start someone off.

Amalith said:
Though not an RPG, Beyond Good and Evil isn't that hard, and seems like it would be a good start.
Also, this. Amazing game, and not that difficult. Available for PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and PC.

Belvadier

May 17, 2009
Knights of the Old Republic, no doubt. One of the 5 best games ever made. Should run on any computer bought in the last...i dunno...5 years or more

Belgian_Waffles

Jan 24, 2010
Fable II
it may not be the best game out there but it's a really good "stepping stone RPG" it will run her through the basics but won't frustrate her with the more complex details that come with games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect

OhJayEee

Sep 26, 2009
I must agree with everyone else on this forum in recommending KOTOR. This was my first true RPG (discounting the rather lame Pirates of the Caribbean) and I got the hang of it easily enough.

Still that's just my opinion. I would use my girlfriend as an example, but she was the one who turned me on to Dragon Age