RPG games to fill my Dragon Age Origins needs.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
synobal said:
Well damn, everything suggest I've played, except for the JRPGs which I don't enjoy and don't have a console for anyways. I guess I should of mentioned I'm strictly a PC gamer. Honestly I was hoping some RPG master would come in here and suggest some lesser well known rpgs. Because I've beat or at least played most the mainstream ones.
Well, hell. You should have said you'd played them in the OP. You've even done Anachronox? Damn.

I mean, you could go into, like, Wizardry or the Ultimas (I personally have a huge soft spot for the first Ultima Underworld) or something recent like Dungeons of Dredmor, but I don't think those are what you're looking for. What about the first Legacy of Kain game? That might be up your alley.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
The Crotch said:
synobal said:
Well damn, everything suggest I've played, except for the JRPGs which I don't enjoy and don't have a console for anyways. I guess I should of mentioned I'm strictly a PC gamer. Honestly I was hoping some RPG master would come in here and suggest some lesser well known rpgs. Because I've beat or at least played most the mainstream ones.
Well, hell. You should have said you'd played them in the OP. You've even done Anachronox? Damn.

I mean, you could go into, like, Wizardry or the Ultimas (I personally have a huge soft spot for the first Ultima Underworld) or something recent like Dungeons of Dredmor, but I don't think those are what you're looking for. What about the first Legacy of Kain game? That might be up your alley.
*points to his avatar* The Legacy of Kain games are among my top five favorite game series.

Laudanum

Feb 6, 2012
synobal said:
Laudanum said:
Seeing how often Planescape: Torment is being mentioned in here I feel obligated to inform people that a spiritual successor to that game is in the making. Currently on kickstarter under the name "Torment: Tides of Numenera" by the same guy who headed the first one.

Might be worth a look OP, though I doubt it will scratch your current itch. :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera
The problem is that it isn't out yet. Just like wasteland 2 and the host of other kickstarters that are being funded and such right now.

I know, it was sorta a shameless plug to try and get it some more publicity so we can get a better product. On a side note, one of the rewards for supporting them gives you both that game and wasteland 2. :D

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
synobal said:
The Crotch said:
synobal said:

*points to his avatar* The Legacy of Kain games are among my top five favorite game series.
Well, crap. Didn't even look.

Well... I'd recommend finding a Genesis or even better a Super Nintendo and picking up Shadowrun and Uncharted Waters 2 (which is kind of a hybrid of a JRPG and Sid Meier's Pirates).

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
The Crotch said:
synobal said:
The Crotch said:
synobal said:

Well... I'd recommend finding a Genesis or even better a Super Nintendo and picking up Shadowrun and Uncharted Waters 2 (which is kind of a hybrid of a JRPG and Sid Meier's Pirates).
No biggy, I'm thinking I'm just gonna wait for wasteland 2 and some others to come out. It just seems like the game industry has given up on RPGs like Dragon Age Origins.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
in the same vein as DAO, not exactly, but Kingdom of Amalur Reckoning isn't a bad game.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
synobal said:
The Crotch said:
synobal said:
The Crotch said:
synobal said:

No biggy, I'm thinking I'm just gonna wait for wasteland 2 and some others to come out. It just seems like the game industry has given up on RPGs like Dragon Age Origins.
Honestly, I think Baldur's Gate-style games were the product of their time. The late 90s and early 2000s were a unique time where development budgets and technology were just right for that particular subgenre. Now, quite frankly, the high budgets and modern graphics and animation are actively detrimental to the games.

So, yeah, the let's-go-back-a-decade of the big-name Kickstarter games is pretty much the future for that sort of thing.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Ghostwise said:
synobal said:
So I've put 219 hours into Dragon Age Origins, I own ALL DLC for it. I'm considering another playthrough but I kinda want a new game. I want an RPG in the same vein as Dragon Age Origins.

I've played and beat all the Mass Effect games, and beat all the DLC though I need to do citadel a few more times to see it all.

I don't like KOTOR (any of them) as I really really loath Star Wars (dodges stones).

I've played and beat Alpha Protocol a few times as well.

I'd love another Fantasy RPG similar to Dragon Age Origins, it doesn't have to be a triple A game, hell it could be a 2 side scroller for all I care but it needs to have interesting characters, a story and lore I can get into.

Oh and PS don't recommend Dragon Age II, we shall not discuss that ...."game"...
I think you should check out A Game of Thrones. It's very much like Dragon Age. Playing through it for the story alone is worth it. It's nice and cheap now too.
The problem is I've read all the Song of Fire and Ice books, I can't even watch the TV show. I'm just burned out on it really.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Nothing really has the same feel as DAO, because Bioware spent like 6 years and a lot of money making DAO and it very much feels like it. If you just want a game with "interesting characters, a story and lore I can get into" though, then:

Arcanum: I play a lot of RPGs(pretty much every RPG released without a J infront,) and I would rate this as the best RPG I have ever played. Fantastic writing, huge re-playability due to the incredibly wide range given in character creation, divergent quest solutions. And an underused(never used?) setting that combines steam 'punk' and fantasy.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines: Same people who made Arcanum. Same extremely top notch writing, every single line of dialogue your character says is changed just by picking the Malkavian clan vs 'normal' clans. Also has some of the best voice acting I have ever seen. It's about vampire societies which I thought was kind of dumb when I first played it, but it definitely made vampires seem awesome despite the best efforts of vampire fiction from the past 10 years.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Divinity 2. [http://www.gog.com/gamecard/divinity_2_developers_cut]

The game is a bit more action oriented than your typical RPG, sometimes it even feels like an MMO lite, but the fantastic music and the great story more than make up for it, you even transform into a dragon at some points in the game, although the dragon mechanics are a bit wonky.

I'd may recommend you the first game too, Divine Divinity [http://www.gog.com/gamecard/divine_divinity], it looks and plays pretty much like a Diablo clone, but with a much, much deeper story and a bit more lighthearted.

Gothic 2 [http://www.gog.com/gamecard/gothic_2_gold_edition] and the Gothic series in general are a great alternative to The Elder Scrolls games, they're similar in that it's a big open world and you do your stuff however you want, but the difference with this game, is that it's way harder than your typical Elder Scrolls and you actually need to prepare beforehand, heck, even some areas in the start are unreachable until much later.

Anachronox [http://www.gog.com/gamecard/anachronox] is a hidden gem from Ion Storm, it's pretty much a western JRPG, also it's very light hearted (sometimes hilarious) and it has some of the coolest and strangest companions ever seen on any RPG.

Di-Dorval

Jan 11, 2012
Exius Xavarus said:
The Witcher 2
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Dragon's Dogma
Fallout: New Vegas

All are particularly awesome and should easily fill the void from DA:O.
This plus Dark Souls (amazing gaming experience with DS fix)/Demon Souls, Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines and the original witcher since you already played the 2nd.

All the mario RPGs are great too except sticker star. (Mario and Luigi: superstar saga being my favorite)

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Di-Dorval said:
Exius Xavarus said:
The Witcher 2
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Dragon's Dogma
Fallout: New Vegas

All are particularly awesome and should easily fill the void from DA:O.
This plus Dark Souls (amazing gaming experience with DS fix)/Demon Souls, Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines and the original witcher since you already played the 2nd.

All the mario RPGs are great too except sticker star. (Mario and Luigi: super star saga being my favorite)
I purposely excluded Demon's Souls and Dark Souls because I figured the OP wanted something more story oriented. Nonetheless, they're both great titles with amazing gameplay and should be at least tried, regardless.

Also, I second Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Easily my all-time favorite Mario game.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'd recommend The Witcher 1&2 if you want something different than your typical western RPG which is quite a breath of fresh air.

Keep in mind this is not a RPG based on D&D and it's more going for a Action RPG with heavy storyline with choices&consequences with moral choices in a "shades of grey" system.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Not one shout out for Mask of the Betrayer? I imagine the OP has played it (If not do so. Right. Now) but a whole slew of RPG fans suggested games that might have good stories and not one mention of Mask of the Betrayer leads me to believe some people who care about stories in RPGS haven't played it.

That won't do at all.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Rack said:
Not one shout out for Mask of the Betrayer? I imagine the OP has played it (If not do so. Right. Now) but a whole slew of RPG fans suggested games that might have good stories and not one mention of Mask of the Betrayer leads me to believe some people who care about stories in RPGS haven't played it.

That won't do at all.
I could mention all the classics and old games with good stories (MoTB, Kotor 2 etc), but since the OP said that he wants games similar to Dragon Age Origins which is a fairly "new" game so to speak (4 years is quite recent), I thought that he was interested in newer games that have been released in the past few years. Hence why I didn't mention the older (and in some cases better RPG's).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
synobal said:
So I've put 219 hours into Dragon Age Origins, I own ALL DLC for it. I'm considering another playthrough but I kinda want a new game. I want an RPG in the same vein as Dragon Age Origins.

I've played and beat all the Mass Effect games, and beat all the DLC though I need to do citadel a few more times to see it all.

I don't like KOTOR (any of them) as I really really loath Star Wars (dodges stones).

I've played and beat Alpha Protocol a few times as well.

I'd love another Fantasy RPG similar to Dragon Age Origins, it doesn't have to be a triple A game, hell it could be a 2 side scroller for all I care but it needs to have interesting characters, a story and lore I can get into.

Oh and PS don't recommend Dragon Age II, we shall not discuss that ...."game"...
Well, Bioware kind of sold out to the EA clone factory and started releasing increasngly action oriented games, while you can hope "Dragon Age 3" is a return to the original format, it doesn't seem likely. "Dragon Age" was intended as a spiritual sequel to "Baldur's Gate" so you could always check those games out. "Neverwinter Nights 2" is another Bioware game that has a decent main campaign, but honestly it's a case where it doesn't go beyond "decent" the sequel to it the "Mask Of The Betrayer" add on is where it really shines.

If you don't care about old, and haven't tried them yet I recommend "Arcanum" and perhaps "Temple Of Elemental Evil" (though it might need to be modded) both of which are availible on GoG. Arcanum in paticular is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Ultima 7/7 part 2, has a HUGE fanbase that continues up to this day and programs like "Exult" created to run it smoothly on modern machines.

The final "Wizardry" trilogy... "Bane Of The Cosmic Forge", "Crusaders Of The Dark Savant", and "Wizardry 8" are cumulatively one awesome production, of course it doesn't include anything close to the dialogue present in "Dragon Age Origins" even in a text format.

To be honest, I expect the end of this year will be a sort of second coming for the RPG genere. "Shadowrun Returns", "Wasteland 2", "Tides Of Numenera", "Grimoire", "Dead State", "Cult: Awakening Of The Old Ones", and a few others are all slated for releases starting around May with "Grimoire", I think Wasteland 2 is set for October, and oddly Tides (which they just stated collecting for) seems to be set for December. I think "Shadowrun Returns" is planned for june. Not sure about "Dead State" I think they were shooting for October as well.

With a bit of patience I expect a lot of things to come out this year that you can at least try, some of which might recapture the kind of magic your looking forward to. That said "Dragon Age: Origins" is a tough act to follow, being an actual RPG with AAA production values and a lot of attention to detail. It's probably worth being called one of the best of all time.

I'll also say that as far as storytelling and world building goes "The Secret World" is excellent, it's an MMORPG but one availible now for a one time purchuse, sort of like "Guild Wars". It has some great voice acting, and a rather unique set up. It's content is a bit limited, but just going through the single player/solo stuff will doubtlessly keep you pretty well occupied while you wait for other things.

TheLycanKing144

Mar 3, 2013
I recommend Ni No Kuni, it is an excellent "old-school" style JRPG. I also recommend the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, both are open world RPG's that you can get lost in for an insane amount of time.