RPG Maps

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
MAPS! Who doesn't love 'em? Okay, maybe it's just me, but I've always enjoyed poring over maps, both real and fantastical, a great deal. Lately, I've gotten into making my own for the campaign I'm running. I initially used a vector graphics program called Inkscape for this, and while the product was serviceable, I suppose, it didn't look very nice. Haven't got much artistic talent, unfortunately. I ended up turning to a fantasy maps program called Wonderdraft, and it helped a great deal. This is the world map I'm using for the campaign:
3TDza4j.jpg
And here is a more zoomed in look onto one of the regions of the world:
Gozreh's Temptation.png
I had to reduce the resolutions considerably to attach them here on the forums, so the details and a lot of the smaller writing is blurry, but you get the idea.

Have you guys made any maps yourself you're especially proud of, or are there any from RPG novels and tabletop books you really like? What kind of software do you use, or do you make it all by hand?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
This is the world map I'm using for the campaign
Looks quite nice. Better than ours, which by comparison looks sparse and underdeveloped. Currently still a hand drawn map, but we're working on a more detailed and high-res redraw in Foundry VTT. Anyway, here's ours:

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Looks quite nice. Better than ours, which by comparison looks sparse and underdeveloped. Currently still a hand drawn map, but we're working on a more detailed and high-res redraw in Foundry VTT. Anyway, here's ours:
If that's hand-drawn, I think that's actually a damn nice map, better than anything I could have made.

I don't know Virtual VTT, but it looks pretty intriguing as an integrated roleplaying software package.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I don't know Virtual VTT, but it looks pretty intriguing as an integrated roleplaying software package.
We went with Foundry VTT because there's quite a bit of homebrew in our campaign, so something that can be relatively easily modded is a must, and Foundry is quite open and customizable compared to all other virtual tabletops we've tried. It's still in beta tho and not yet publicly available unless you're a patron.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I've taken to using Inkarnate, which doesn't produce a map quite as elaborate as the one you've got there, but it's easy to use and the basic version is free. Here's a map I was using for a freeform game a while back:

(The blank parts are unexplored by players)

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I've taken to using Inkarnate, which doesn't produce a map quite as elaborate as the one you've got there, but it's easy to use and the basic version is free. Here's a map I was using for a freeform game a while back:

(The blank parts are unexplored by players)
Yeah, I've been in a campaign that used Inkarnate, and it's decent for good-looking maps that don't want to get too detailed. I might have gone with Inkarnate over Wonderdraft if it wasn't subscription-based.