RPGs: Useless companions

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Jandau said:
Sten's crap simply because Mages > Everything in DA:O. Bring a rogue for the traps, a tank, a healer and then a damage mage. Granted, you don't HAVE to do that, but whenever I brought Oghren or Sten, they felt like a waste of space. At least when I played a 2H Warrior myself, I got all the free stats ans whatnot that made me decent.

Cernd's decent up until you start getting good items on your other frontline fighters, while his Werewolf form stays the same. He gets badly outclassed in melee by pretty much any dedicated combat class.

Hanharr only applies to Darkside players, doesn't he. And I still maintain that the Jedi party members are better simply due to Force abilities. I used the other companions for the flavor, but when I needed shit done, it was 3 Jedi all the way in both Kotor 1 and 2.

Jack's an annoying *****. And she sucks in combat. And her clothes are stupid.

Agreed about Coran and Skie, and I'd like to add that bard fellow you can pick up early on as well (can't remember his name)
I never found two-handed warriors to be that effective, though. And I hate Sten's personality. Oghren is way to pre-specced when you get him, so I almost never use him. I wish they had those books that allow you to respec characters like they had in Awakening. Keep in mind, though, I'm one of those weirdos who loves Archery in Origins. You basically just auto-crit towards the end of the game. Love it.

Hanharr is quite a beast, though. But I still prefer Mira. Make her a Jedi, give her Master Speed and two Mandalorian Rippers, and then you have an awesome Jedi Gunslinger. The most fun I ever had in KotOR 2 was when I had Atton, Mira, and the Exile as Gunslingers. It was like there was a field around us, and you just drop dead when you it the perimeter.

About Jack: They just neglected to give her a damage-focused power. Warp Ammo is very effective, but ammo powers are boring. Shockwave is handy for taking out multiple waves of Husks and Abominations (provided you have taken out their armor, Husks die instantly if their feet leave the ground). But she needed something like Warp or Reave, which are the stars of the biotic talents in ME2.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Antitonic said:
I almost never use Cid in FF7. By the time I get to where he's available, Tifa's a wrecking machine and Cait Sith is a sponge. I'd replace Cloud if I could, and put Vincent, but eh...

Pretty much every Final Fantasy has at least one person I don't use.

FF1: Thief. Doesn't seem a viable choice in a party of Fighter, Fighter, Black Mage, White Mage
FF2: Been a while since I played last, can't recall...
FF3: As above.
FF4: Never bother with Edge, unless I have to.
FF5: Class-wise, the Ninja. Not sure why...
FF6: Strago. The blue magic system isn't great. On a similar note, Gau.
FF7: The aforementioned Cid.
FF8: Rinoa. The whole love story always felt a little shoehorned, and she's the target.
FF9: Quina, because of blue magic, and Eiko because she annoys me.
FF10: Wakka. So you're good against flying types? Big whoop.
FF11: All of them, because it shouldn't be counted in the numbered games.
FF12: Penelo. When everyone can learn everything (eventually) she seems pointless.
FF13: Hope. He annoys me so.
FF Tactics: Any special characters. I trained my units, dammit, and I'm going to use them!

Hmm... in KotOR I don't use Juhani or Jolee. One Force user is enough, thanks!

Basically, I could go on... :p
Funny, once I got Cid, he was pretty much perment fixture in my party along with Yuffie.

As for the others...

FF1: Black Belt and Red Mage.
FF2: You're stuck with everyone, but if there was one charcter I'd dump if I could, Gordon.
FF3: Hardly used most of the classes. Never touched Geomancer, Ranger, Evoker, Magus, Bard, Monk, Black Belt, or Viking.
FF4: Once you got to the point where you could switch up the party, I only bothered with Edward, Palom, and Cid to unlock their trials in the bonus dungeon. My go-to party was Rydia, Porom, Yang, and Edge.
FF5: Never bothered with Berserker or Cannoneer. Only used serevral others to master them and get their innates, then used Freelancer for the rest of the game.
FF6: Never bothered with Gau or Umaro.
FF7: As above. Went out of my way to not use Cait Sith.
FF8: My party was Squall/Zell/Quistis for pretty much all of the game.
FF9: I love them all. It's almost impossible to pick a party sometimes.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
DustyDrB said:
About Jack: They just neglected to give her a damage-focused power. Warp Ammo is very effective, but ammo powers are boring. Shockwave is handy for taking out multiple waves of Husks and Abominations (provided you have taken out their armor, Husks die instantly if their feet leave the ground). But she needed something like Warp or Reave, which are the stars of the biotic talents in ME2.
The problem with Jack is a problem with Biotics in general in ME2 - on any higher difficulty so many enemies have one or more defensive layers (Armor, Barriers, Shields) that by the time you get to their health bar, you may as well just kill them off. As a result, powers like Shockwave are rendered borderline useless. Anything that can be affected by it can just be gunned down. Anything that you'd WANT to affect with it is likely protected in some way. Warp ammo isn't bad, but there are plenty of other ways to get a group ammo power, so it's not really a selling point...

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Erja_Perttu said:
In FFX you're missing out the wonderful Rikku. What's that; you're hideously weak and have no offensive skills? Ok, back to the pile you go!
...she's the best healer in the game...

...her items do lots of damage...

...steal oneshots machines...

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Jandau said:
The problem with Jack is a problem with Biotics in general in ME2 - on any higher difficulty so many enemies have one or more defensive layers (Armor, Barriers, Shields) that by the time you get to their health bar, you may as well just kill them off.
How is this an argument against bringing characters that can oneshot said defensive layers? If Barriers are a problem, Warp them away. Incinerate that armor!

The powers are there to efficiently remove barriers, not to be foiled by them.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Jandau said:
The problem with Jack is a problem with Biotics in general in ME2 - on any higher difficulty so many enemies have one or more defensive layers (Armor, Barriers, Shields) that by the time you get to their health bar, you may as well just kill them off.
How is this an argument against bringing characters that can oneshot said defensive layers? If Barriers are a problem, Warp them away. Incinerate that armor!

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Jandau said:
DustyDrB said:
The problem with Jack is a problem with Biotics in general in ME2 - on any higher difficulty so many enemies have one or more defensive layers (Armor, Barriers, Shields) that by the time you get to their health bar, you may as well just kill them off. As a result, powers like Shockwave are rendered borderline useless. Anything that can be affected by it can just be gunned down. Anything that you'd WANT to affect with it is likely protected in some way. Warp ammo isn't bad, but there are plenty of other ways to get a group ammo power, so it's not really a selling point...
Well, Warp and Reave are probably the best two attacks in Mass Effect 2, so I can't diss Biotics as a whole. It's just that a few of the biotics in the squad (Jack and Jacob only have crowd control biotic powers. You might include Morinth as well).

But I always take squad members with Shockwave or Throw with me to places with a lot of Husks. If you have someone with Shockwave and two squad members (possibly including Shepard) with armor-killing powers, then you can take out Husks in a hurry. You just set up the anti-armor attacks first, one for a group of husks in the front and another for a group further back. Then wait a fraction of a second before you send out a Shockwave, taking out numerous of them in a row. It works very well in places like the derelict Reaper.

For most enemies, you are right. You might as well just kill them with your weapons because they don't instantly die once they leave their feet like Husks and Abominations do.

Supposedly, they're going to fix biotics in Mass Effect 3. Armor and universal cooldowns really nerfed biotics in ME2. Remember how (especially in the final battle) in the first game how you could pull enemies off the ground and then throw them into the void of space? That was satisfying. Universal cooldowns definitely need to go away.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
DracoSuave said:
Jandau said:

Actually, the fun Biotic powers ARE there to be foiled by defenses...

Have you ever used Shockwave or Pull against any Barrier, Armor os Shield? You know what they do? Diddly squat. Nothing. Nada. Barely scratch it. What powers does Jack have? Shockwave and Pull. Do you know what almost every enemy has on any difficulty higher than normal? Armor, Barriers or Shields. You see where I'm going with this? I'll give you a hint - Jack sucks, and not in the romantic way... :p

Yeah, Warp and Reave are great, but they are also quite boring. They're just point&damage. You go Biotics to toss people around, at least you did in ME1. ME2 screwed Biotics over by making everything that had any protection be immune to physics effects. And by the time you drop the protections you might as well just finish shooting the target.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
DA:O
Leliana, never found her useful. I only used her to *cough* pickpocket people in towns. But otherwise if I wasn?t playing a rogue myself I would take Zev. I?m probably a bit bias tho because I don?t like her.
Dog take up a slot but doesn?t feel like a full companion so I never used him. It would have been better if there was a pet slot.
Oghren, you get him pretty late so can?t level him up yourself.

Mass effect 2.
Jacob, I barley ever used him.
Mordon, tho I never really tried with him. Maybe I was just using him wrong
Allot of people thing Jack is useless. It true on higher difficulties when all enemies have defences it disarms her somewhat, she certainly isn?t the most powerful and using her effectively requires micro management but she is still very useful against husks IMO. She has the fastest cool down of your biotics, shockwave and pull. Group them up, strip their defences, use CC and watch them all fly. Shockwave can also slow enemies down and knock them out from behind cover so you can take them out even if it won?t send them flying tho flashbang is better for that. I just wish she wasn?t using a shotgun. It?s the worst weapon to go with her skills and means she runs in and gets herself killed if you don't watch her.

BG2.
Been years since I played that game but I don?t think I ever really used Jaheira or Haer'Dalis.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
In FFX you're missing out the wonderful Rikku. What's that; you're hideously weak and have no offensive skills? Ok, back to the pile you go!
Rikku not only was my favorite FFX character, but one of my favorite characters period. And if you level her up, she's amazing. I took her through EVERYONE's sphere grid. :)

vasudean

May 30, 2008
Me personally, when it came to Final Fantasy, I never had much use of the Red Mage or Black Belt. The first one because when I am constructing a team, I try and balance it by picking specialization characters, Fighter is my tank, Black Mage is my Artillery, White Mage as my healer and undead stomper, and Thief as my escape artist in case I need to get the heck out of there. Red Mage doesn't really fit in my party and doesn't get the spells that are exclusive to Black Wizard and White Wizard and the Black Belt gets swiftly outclassed by Fighter.

With the rest of the Final Fantasy's, I pretty much gave the Blue Mage a very wide berth, for they only learn spells from monsters and to me, they're too much hit-and-miss for me, which has absolutely no place in my party.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Jandau said:
DustyDrB said:

Too true. Playing an adept on anything above normal in ME2 wasn't just un-fun and useless it was FUCKING FRUSTRATING! They could not deal enough damage to kill off things. ME2 was as close as mass effect could be to being a straight shooter. Shockwave on easier difficulties was fun, heck, playing an adept on easier difficulties was pretty fun (not as fun as ME where you could stack your powers and use stasis-lift-throw and send the huge Geth Colussus flying but still pretty fun).

Grimfolse

Feb 28, 2011
Yeah, I've got a few...

In FFX, I used just about everyone, but Kimahri was my least useful, overall. I only brought him out in fights to gain experience/throw out a Mighty Guard...until my second playthrough that is. That's when I took him through Auron's part of the grid and he became rather awesome, like a mini-Auron.

FFVI suffered from Too Many Characters Syndrome. By the endgame, the only characters I actually used with any regularity were Celes, Sabin, Edgar, Setzer, Terra, and Locke. The rest were basically filler.

In Breath of Fire 2, I only really used 4-5 of the characters: Ryu, Katt, Rand, and Nina/Bleu. Bow was a possibility, but since his shaman transformation meant I couldn't use Katt's transformations at all (and given that she's my favorite character...). Sten was boring and unimpressive, I only used him until I passed the dungeon where having him is a requirement. Spar and Jean are both boring and not as useful as my main party.

In Chrono Trigger, I drop Marle pretty early. No multi-target healing spells? No thanks. The main reasons to use her are Arise and Haste (and Haste Helms can be used by some characters to make up for not using her).

Mass Effect 2: Jacob, Zaeed, and Jack. Zaeed's more useful than the other two, but there's almost always better options for squadmates. I hardly used any of these three outside their loyalty missions. Also, Legion, if only because you have to unlock him so late in the game if you want the best ending. I also almost never used Samara. Just never liked her or her daughter.

Dragon Age 1: Sten, Oghren, Morrigan. I preferred Sword/Shield tanks to 2H warriors, and Wynne was much more useful for me as a mage/healer. Sten's personality was awesome though, so I did use him more than the other two.

Dragon Age 2: Fenris, Isabela. Fenris was not only a jerk, but since I was playing a 2H warrior Hawke he was also redundant. Isabela I rarely used because there was a glitch that could screw up your attack speed permanently if you gained her friendship. Shame, she was pretty cool otherwise.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
Jandau said:
Fallout 3 - Everyone except Fawkes
Fawkes is the uber companion. it was actually kind of ridiculous and unfair to NPCs just how strong and useful he is.
as awesome as he was, he actually died on me once. somehow, he got stuck on some derbies, wouldn't move or fight back, and got mowed down by a laser turret. it was actually kind of funny: he just stood there for almost 30 seconds while this laser turret chipped away at his health.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
every companion i've had in Skyrim. i can't count the number of times i've had to Fus one of them out of a doorway so i could get past.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Lets see:

Final Fantasy X: Kimarhi. I like the guy, but he's easily the weakest of the bunch. He's just so... vanilla. Also, to the guy bashing Wakka, if you level up his attack enough, and you're good at the slots, his limit does AWESOME damage.

Persona 4: Naoto. Again, a character I like, but I absolutely DESPISE one-hit kill attacks, so I never use her. And having access to the "Megi" line of spells isn't enough in my book.

Pokemon: There are WAAAAY to many to list here. The list starts with "Starter Rats" and goes around the block. Twice.

Somatsu

Feb 22, 2011
I liked everyone in final fantasy 7, no one in 8, Auron in 10, Paine in 10-2 and Balthier in 12. Everyone else in final fantasy was always so unnecessary. I liked everyone in DA:O including Orhgren and Sten but I tended not to use Leliana or dog because Zevran's personality was better.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
In ME2, I shelved Jacob as soon as I could; he's pretty much a weaker Grunt. I also didn't use Mordin much since he only has that one offensive skill and no gun talent. Also, I don't think people are giving Jack enough credit. Sure she isn't that useful in general situations, but there is no party member that can tear through husks like she can.

Roselina

Mar 5, 2011
All companions in skyrim since mostly they get within the way of my fireballs or poison arrows.
In KOTOR2 i never used disciple, mira, GOTO, and whichever scout i had. Its not that they were bad they were just tardy to the party and had to sit on the back of the bus.
In Mass Effct 2 i never seemed to use jacob, jack, or grunt again cause they didn't complement my fighting style.