RTD steps down from Doctor Who.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Now I'll be interested in the effect this has. Couple of episodes lately were somewhat below par (7 days? Clones? What?!), so this could be good.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
that's nothing new, he already said he was stepping down over a year ago, which caused a lot of ppl to whine and cry

i think if he sticks around for longer that david tennant will be the best doctor, currently i rank him #2 above john pewtree but behind tom baker

Feb 13, 2008
Did I mention his replacement was the writer of Blink (Weeping Angels), The Empty Child (Are you my mummy?) and The Girl in the Fireplace?

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7411177.stm

I think I may just have had a Who-gasm.
Soooo, you're saying this is a good thing? Clue me in here, I don't know much about the Doctor or how his production system works.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Did I mention his replacement was the writer of Blink (Weeping Angels), The Empty Child (Are you my mummy?) and The Girl in the Fireplace?
This definitely bodes well.

Feb 13, 2008
HalfShadow said:
Saskwach said:
Soooo, you're saying this is a good thing? Clue me in here, I don't know much about the Doctor or how his production system works.
Well, when two Gallifreyans really really love each other...
Personal Opinion Follows:

RTD is a egomaniacal, dickwad that cannot write a decent story without relying solely on 'death of a family member' 'twist' and makes up shit as he goes along.
Moffat writes stories that have you talking about them for years afterwards and still squealing when you see them again; and STILL manage to be within the spirit of the show; without being set on a bloody London Council Estate.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Steven Moffat is taking over? Yikes... as brilliant as his episodes have been, I'm not sure I want him helming the whole show...

Quistnix

Nov 22, 2007
When I saw the subject, I thought "Please let it be Moffat, please let it be Moffat." And yes, it proves once again that wishful thinking really works!

Ares Draxus

May 6, 2008
Without RTD we wouldn't have new Who and while it is sad to see him go I think his replacement will do a fine job if not a better job than he did. I say good luck Mr. Davies in your future and let Doctor Who continue for decades to come.

madmurch

Nov 1, 2007
RTD is a egomaniacal, dickwad that cannot write a decent story without relying solely on 'death of a family member' 'twist' and makes up shit as he goes along.
Moffat writes stories that have you talking about them for years afterwards and still squealing when you see them again; and STILL manage to be within the spirit of the show; without being set on a bloody London Council Estate.
That is exactly why I've hated so much of the new Doctor Who series. As far as I have seen, RTD simply has no backbone: after massacring the cast at the end of series 1, Magic Rose brought everyone back to life; in the series 2 finale, Rose "died in battle" just like the Devil said... oh, wait, NO SHE DIDN'T! After that, I've only seen a few episodes, and from what I have seen I doubt that very much has changed. After all, he wrote Torchwood. Idiot.

And then there are all the episodes that revolve around screwing up British history... already Shakespeare, Agatha Christie and Queen Victoria had suffered at the hands of poor writers. It won't be long before Doctor Who is revealed to be King Arthur, pulling Excalibur from the stone with his sonic screwdriver; or perhaps he'll lead the British to victory in World War 2 instead of Winston Churchill. Maybe RTD doesn't write these ones (I haven't seen much of the show recently, though the Doctor's Daughter episode almost had a few good elements buried within the rubbish) but since he is the Big Boss of Doctor Who, he clearly approves of them.

Doctor Who needs a shake-up. With RTD gone, I might try watching the next series: who knows, it might try something original and decent. I can but hope.

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
Those are my favorite episodes; I am in a state of glee.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Larenxis said:
Those are my favorite episodes; I am in a state of glee.
I concur; they actually were interesting to watch, and gave a little horror and interest to Saturday nights, rather than just 'O LOOK ALIEN BATTLESHIPS LUL!'.

Gooble

May 9, 2008
Those 3 eps were pretty good...but it seems the vast majority you just cant take at all seriously. They're entertaining enough and those potato dudes were pretty cool. I don't know how seriously the old ones were meant to be, so it might just be continuing the trend; but for me they need to make them far more serious, even if it does cut out some of the younger audience.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
madmurch said:
That is exactly why I've hated so much of the new Doctor Who series. As far as I have seen, RTD simply has no backbone: after massacring the cast at the end of series 1, Magic Rose brought everyone back to life; in the series 2 finale, Rose "died in battle" just like the Devil said... oh, wait, NO SHE DIDN'T! After that, I've only seen a few episodes, and from what I have seen I doubt that very much has changed. After all, he wrote Torchwood. Idiot.

And then there are all the episodes that revolve around screwing up British history... already Shakespeare, Agatha Christie and Queen Victoria had suffered at the hands of poor writers. It won't be long before Doctor Who is revealed to be King Arthur, pulling Excalibur from the stone with his sonic screwdriver; or perhaps he'll lead the British to victory in World War 2 instead of Winston Churchill. Maybe RTD doesn't write these ones (I haven't seen much of the show recently, though the Doctor's Daughter episode almost had a few good elements buried within the rubbish) but since he is the Big Boss of Doctor Who, he clearly approves of them.

Doctor Who needs a shake-up. With RTD gone, I might try watching the next series: who knows, it might try something original and decent. I can but hope.

ok let's see if i can do this

1 they all "died" at the end of the first series cause christopher eccleston only wanted to do one series, so yeah most had to die

2 rose did die, according to the offcial list, and no he wasn't the devil but the basis for him, you see his spawn in torchwood

3 torchwood is very well written, better than most sci-fi out there today and no he didn't write it, he created it and produces it but like doctor who he doesn't do all the writting

4 as for screwning up british history, have you ever watched any of the old series? screwing up history was par for the course for doctor who, which was designed to teach you about history believe it or not

on the plus side i do have a full length season 16 scarf, it's very warm and long

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Gooble said:
Those 3 eps were pretty good...but it seems the vast majority you just cant take at all seriously. They're entertaining enough and those potato dudes were pretty cool. I don't know how seriously the old ones were meant to be, so it might just be continuing the trend; but for me they need to make them far more serious, even if it does cut out some of the younger audience.
no they weren't meant to be all that serious, there's always been a bit of tongue in cheek humour across all the series and doctors

john pewtree would famously says "reversing the positron flow" or "reversing the electron flow" because he didn't want to say a whole bunch of scientific stuff that he couldn't always say