RTS Games With A Great Singleplayer.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
So, having tired of the recent Diablo 3 season I've uncorked some of my old favorites and almost finished them. Have been in the mood for some RTS recently and had an absolute blast with the new Homeworld remastered, as well as:

- Starcraft and Starcraft 2.
- LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth.
- Warcraft 3.
- Warhammer 40k
- C&C 3 and Generals.

Have I missed anything? Really hankering for some more RTS goodness.

Bonus points for:
- Runs well on modern resolutions/tech.
- Good storyline.

Chemical123

May 2, 2013
World in Conflict tells a great story(some really emotional parts too)
Company Of Heroes series
Impossible Creatures( Relic game, prior to Dawn of War 1, you splice animals together to make awesome fighting units, killer whale dragonfly e.g.)
Stronghold 1 (maybe not the best story but quite funny nonetheless)

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
have you tried other Westwood games? like Emperor battle for dune. or the old red alerts and C&C's

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Age of Empires II HD, you can find it on steam and it has multiple campaigns based on different medieval conflicts (William Wallace's war against the English, Joan of Arc's struggle against the English, Genghis Kahn's conquests, etc) they are all really good.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I really enjoy the SC2 and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade/ Dawn of War 2/Chaos Rising campaigns.

Halo Wars is also pretty neat. Comes with some sweet Blur cinematics too.

Feb 28, 2008
Stronghold. Absolutely great campaign; historical sieges; scenarios. You can have a great deal of fun with the single-player aspects of that game.

Sep 14, 2009
empire earth. from what I've played and read, the second and third games weren't that great, but the first game sucked me in hardcore, and some of the campaigns (there were alot of campaign/missions) were harder than hell, you had to really think hard/play within your means to win, couldn't just overload the enemy on most of them.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Well, seeing as you have the first BFME game, I'd also recommend the second. Though, good luck finding it at a reasonable price. I've been looking all over and so far I can only find it being sold online for $200 and up.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
I had fun playing LOTR War of the Ring. I don't think it is that well known, but I enjoyed the campaign. Some of the heroes are hilariously OP, like Aragorn. You can win entire missions with just him lol, and Boromir too.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Homeworld, Homeworld: Cataclysm. Both of those are classified as RTS's, though not your more traditional kind I grant you. And they have incredible stories. I personally didn't find Homeworld 2 all that compelling story-wise, but HW 1 and Cataclysm both sucked me in and elicited genuine emotional responses on multiple occasions. Can't recommend them enough.

*gasp* Oh look! And there is the remastered version of Homeworld out right now! xD What excellent timing for you!

*edit*

And I somehow missed the sentence where you said you played Homeworld remastered. xD

Another fun RTS is the Sins of a Solar Empire series of games. Those are pretty damn fun. They're not actually 3 dimensional like Homeworld, but the camera is, so you can spin it around at all different angles to watch the fights. But the game progression is really fun, the research tiers are enjoyable and clever, and the methods by which you can win are quite clever. I remember one match I decided to try and win by money, so I focused all my production/research on generating wealth, and sending out my culture's propaganda. With the money, I regularly bid for the Pirate faction to go and attack the other groups. And I won when it just became me and my one ally, and the pirates had killed everyone else.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Crusader Kings II. It doesn't have a story you follow more so as you make your own story by either playing as a Count, Duke, King, or Emperor, and building your dynasty while ruling your kingdom. It's a mix of RTS and Grandstrategy.