RTS problems

TheBarrel

Mar 30, 2009
After the release of Halo Wars. It really hits me that RTS games should not be on the console. It is just so much easier, more diverse and better looking on the computer. As opposed to the dumbed down clunky version for the 360.

Let me know if you a)agree/disagree with me and b)if theres any other games that should not be on the console or computer.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
I realised it after Supreme Commander (iirc was along those lines for a name).

Consoles are for bad RPG's and FPS's.

PC is the master platform.

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
it's not just RTS, every genre of gaming is getting dumbed down
RTS should be exclusive to the PC

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
Barry93 said:
it's noy just RTS, every genre of gaming is getting dumbed down
RTS should be exclusive to the PC
there were some genres that should have stayed just with the PC, and you're right, RTS is no exception.

Samman

Mar 19, 2009
It's just the lack of mouse/keyboard. Hopefully Sony and Microsoft realize that they're shutting themselves out of a couple genres and smarten up for their next gen of consoles.

cas

Mar 27, 2009
A lot of games are more fun with a controller like racing games, fighting games, and some with lots of menus and stuff like sim games and RTS games are better for PC

LumiHawke

Dec 5, 2008
Last time any console had good RTS games, it was really the N64, the version of Command and Conquer on the N64 was actually better than it's PC/PS1 counter parts. Starcraft worked well on the N64 as well, and Army Men RTS was also nice on the PS2, though it shortly came over to the PC not long after. Console RTS games are not bad, it's just the type of RTS games they can make on consoles now days will always be far sub par to their PC counter parts primarly do to the low ram and power possible on the consoles vs their PC counter parts. I mean you will never see a game like Company of Heroes on the 360 or PS3, I can garentee it just isn't possible.

Kawakta4890

Mar 20, 2009
I have always looked on consoles as a means to play with your friends at the same place, ofcourse you could have a LAN with computers, but for me it's not the same.
I will always remember all the good times with my friends on the N64 with Goldeneye.

That is why I don't think RTS games should be on consoles. And neither should RPGs.

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
Seriously? Everyone has agreed with this, just look at any thread discussing Halo wars.

What's the point of this thread, anyway?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
cas said:
A lot of games are more fun with a controller like racing games, fighting games, and some with lots of menus and stuff like sim games and RTS games are better for PC
Pretty much this. All depends on the genre, because I know that Turn-Based strategy works fine on consoles. But if you need "quick reactions + complicated menus", then stick to the PC.

The console can do both of those things, just not at the same time.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Yammer-yammer-yammer-bleat-bleat. Oh, look, another excuse to say EXACTLY THE SAME THING over and over again. Joy.

Let us all find affirmation in the clone-like identity of our opinions, because to do otherwise is Communist.

-- Steve

PS: I don't agree. I enjoy Halo Wars; I think it's a good effort, and find it much more to my liking than I did End War though that's an interesting experiment too. To reiterate, from my many posts about this before and from the flippin' promo materials for the games, I like the idea that developers are working on the Goldeneye of the RTS. If nothing else, it's a way to mix the genre up and see if there's new ways to play what is becoming an old genre. (Then again, DoW2 is mixing things up in another way too. Interesting times...)

To those who prefer the PC, fine... there are plenty of great RTS titles on that platform. Vive la difference and all that, and leave the platform wars boosterism to some lesser forum please.

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
It's mainly because RTS games are getting a lot more complex. Who here remembers playing Command and Conquer (the first ones) on the playstation? It actually moved rather smoothly compared to recent RTS games on the consoles, because it was so much more simple.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
RTS works well on the console when it's something like Endwar, but other than that I'd say they should stay on the PC.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
LumiHawke said:
Last time any console had good RTS games, it was really the N64, the version of Command and Conquer on the N64 was actually better than it's PC/PS1 counter parts. Starcraft worked well on the N64 as well,
I really hope you're kidding, those titles were absolutely awful on consoles. They're shining examples of what a console RTS shouldn't be.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
personally I found Halo wars to strike the right balance between simplicity and actual brain use, on top of this I had no qualms with the control sceme at all, despite what some review sites (and certain forum members) have been parroting

what I disliked about halo wars was the base limitation, though making sense to make games quicker and more action oriented, however freedom of choice is imperative these days.
The campaign could have used a Covenant side, though the human campaign was fairly decent with a VERY involving story (FOOOORRRGEEE NOOOOO!)the brute chieftan didn't get a look in and it would have been much more interesting if he did.

controls on the PC and console are as good as each other, I prefer games on the 360, but thats just me, I can't stand PC elitists though, and I tend to be a very tolerant person

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
Kukul said:
I don't have a problem with console RTS games, but I do have a problem with developers releasing games that are perfectly suitable for PCs like GoW2 or Halo Wars only on consoles to force people to buy that useless toys that consoles are.
100% Agree, I have not touched my Xbox 360 and Wii for a very long time and when the new series of consoles get released I honestly don't plan on buying one. The only "consoles" I even play anymore are the mobile ones (PSP / DS) of which I have the DS. It gets me through times were I can't have my computer.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
I learned this truth when I bought Battle for Middle Earth 2 for the 360. The controls just aren't built for it, you need to be able to click and drag and shift click and assign groups to numbers. It just too hard to get a good tactical attack on a console because you basically have to just select all attack.