Rudest Customer You've Ever Met

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
PaulH said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Phone service is possibly the worst because they don't have to look you in the eye before they threaten you... just like some of the shit people talk online, you know face-to-face they'd never say it IRL, its just a gut feeling.
I'm the type of person who values integrity, and most people don't have it.
Phone service is the worse? I can see that ... Theatre work doesn't seem so bad. But hypothesis is not fact. I mean if someone hated the movie, they won't complain to the who cleans the lobby or makes sure everyone gets their lollies and popcorn ... right (with no small sense of hope)?
Funny enough people don't complain much at the movies about the movie being bad. They're pretty well content with knowing that paying for a ticket is a gamble... But if popcorn is even remotely approaching stale (by stale meaning not within 10 seconds of freshly popped) by all means raise hell... or don't because pissing off people who serve you food wasn't just a funny movie with Ryan Reynolds.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Also protip if you're complaining to someone in any service industry and they begin to grin like the Joker and say things like "of course" or "we'll take care of that right away", be wary... especially if it has to do with food service.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I remember when I used to work at an Esso and there was that guy. He kept filling up and leaving the second he finished. He didn't even pay. I tried calling the police, but I never got his license plate.

I told my boss. Got in trouble and I almost lost my job. The customer walks in with the money at the end of the day. He was a friend of my boss's dad. He figured that he could do what he wants as long he pays back at some point. I pointed out that this was?illegal and he throws a huge fit. My boss walks in and talks to him. Boss told me to not worry about it, but keep an eye on him if he does this.

The guy came back every week and did the same scenario for two months. My boss's dad did some "persuasion" (More like downright intimidation) and we never heard from him again?until his wife came along. She just wanted to blow steam and make me look bad. However, the best convenient thing happened? A cop walks in. Never seen a customer going from an overzealous loudmouth to a polite citizen in a short moment like that.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I work as an English teacher in Shanghai. Here are two students I distinctly remember:

1) A year ago I went on a company retreat for two weeks with about 100 children to teach them English, paintball with them, etc. We had one boy who managed to become infamous within a single day and was given the staff nickname of "The Problem Boy"; in English among the Chinese staff, no less. This problem boy was a half-mix of Aussie and Shanghai, raised in quite a rich family, and we would discover later that he more or less lived alone as both parents would work rather than raise him, and they often sent him on things like this to get him out of their way. All very sad, but didn't help in the immediate.
Firstly, he was hugely disrespectful, not just to other students, but would openly insult teachers. As the only male teacher on staff for the first week, he knew damn well not to insult me, but whenever I wasn't around, he would ask our black teacher why she was so dirty, he would tell other teachers they were fat or ugly, he would throw a tantrum, he would sneak into the rooms of girls and throw things at them, he sexually assaulted girls and one case that will always give me shivers, he held down a special needs child in the showers (where the teachers generally don't go) and took photos of the naked boy with his phone for nothing more than pleasure.
Due to head office being friends with the boy's mother, there was basically fuck all we could do about it. Didn't stop me from taking his phone and wiping the memory clean before shouting in his face for half an hour, the little shit still had a shit-eating grin on his face. Thankfully I didn't get in trouble for it later. We ended up putting him into isolation with a newly arrived physical education teacher who was ex-Chinese military, and a nice guy but didn't take shit (I still had classes to teach). He cried when we sent him home after two weeks (when he had managed to not only piss off every staff member of the teaching staff, but also assaulted and insulted several members of the camp staff) and his mother screamed at him over the phone, but when you've been that much of an arsehole, we were little disposed to help him. When I found out they had signed him up to the second trip later that year, I quietly removed myself from it. I learned later he sexually assaulted several teachers during that trip and the wrong teenage girl, who promptly beat the shit out of him while the teachers were mysteriously long in arriving to stop the fight.

2) On my birthday, I agreed to take a client for a friend. So I went, on my birthday, to this house with was an hour away commute, and the child was a rich spoilt thing. Look up "Little Emperor Syndrome" if you want to know more about this in China. Over the course of an hour, he screamed two inches from my face, shouted, threw toys at me and the kicker was when he spat in my face. This was an 8 year old boy. He was also the last boy I ever taught. I got up, informed the mother what had happened, and left. The mother immediately denied what had happened and said her boy was perfectly behaved and he would never do that. Shanghai mothers are the worst for this. I immediately moved all my young boy clients to other teachers, and found out from the previous teacher he had done the same to him, and the mother still denied it.

-----------------------------------------------------

In order to try and add a bit of kindness to this thread, I'll tell you my latest trend. I have begun to have to phone companies a bit more, and when something goes wrong, I've finally developed enough of a backbone to start asking for it to be fixed. But I don't shout, and whenever someone does help me, I have always asked for the manager. And every time, I have told the manager that so and so has helped me today and has been wonderful and that the manager should pay them more money.

I like to think it comes up when they next get a raise. Or at least let's people know they're appreciated for helping me. I know their work is pretty shitty otherwise.

Ladylotus

Nov 1, 2014
I've worked at McDonald's for four years.

If anyone isn't familiar with how McDonald's works, it's part franchised, and part owned by corporate.

Corporate stores and franchise stores have different prices, but corporate only advertises prices and deals made by corporate. Meaning ALL commercials are based on a price range for a small portion of the overall number of stores.

And customers lose it every. Single. Time.

"Why isn't your ice cream 50 cents? The commercial said it was!"

"What do you mean your Mocha Frappes aren't buy one get one free?"

"Your Four Piece Nuggets aren't a dollar?!?!?!"

The most notable had to be a lady who came in for a McDouble, but our price for them was 50 cents higher than normal (AKA corporate). She responded by throwing the McDouble at our manager, screaming that we were the worst McDonald's she'd ever gone to, and knocking over our wet floor sign just because.

Never saw her again.

Second place has to be given to the crazy 70+ year old lady who comes in every day, wears a surgical face mask, orders us to wear gloves every time we handle her empty drink cups, orders us to open a new 'fresh' bag of everything just so she doesn't risk catching anything, refuses to directly hand us change, and overall is just completely awful. Her reason? The Afordable Care Act (Obamacare) was made to poison fast food to cull the population, especially old people.

Of course, she refuses to believe that this is insane, and she's believed this since before the ACA was even a thing, but whatever.

I think the funniest part is that she's doing this because she thinks it'll help her live longer, but she's devoutly Christian so wouldn't leaving this 'sinful world' when god wills be a good thing? Why try to delay what only your god controls?

Sep 9, 2007
Dr.Susse said:
Well I only ever did retail for about a year and we don't often go super rude in Australia ,just dumb or arrogant.
That, pretty much. I work at a general store and by and large we don't get rude/abusive customers, just ones never remember that we close at 7.

A classic example of that happened last year. It was about half past 7 and we were just about finished cleaning up the take away section, which was the last major thing we needed to do before heading home. The TV and one bank of lights were on, but everything else was turned off and everything outside had been brought in. I had just finished drying the last of the take-away utensils, when someone waltzed through the unlocked door, looked around for a second and asked "Oh, is the power off?". I don't actually remember what he was after, because I had to hide in the office so he couldn't hear me break out laughing.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
There was that one time some guy had sex in our parking lot, and then another time when somebody would take shits in our soap dispensers. They may not be rude, but are really inconsiderate.

I do not miss working at a pool.

Woiminkle

Sep 8, 2012
I was working for a marketing company doing in store demos of the original Xbox in the weeks before Christmas the year it was released, I was getting paid to play Xbox with the kids, answer questions and log feedback. Great job until...

This one guy came over to me and asked some questions about the system while his kids are both playing a couple of feet away, so I launch into my spiel regarding specs, games etc at a normal "indoor voice" level. I barely get the first sentence out when the guy turns purple in the face, eyes bulging at me like I just fucked the family pet and snarls,

"Keep your fucking voice down, Christmas might be coming but you're not fucking Santa Claus"

I was only 22 or 23 at the time and just so shocked at the sudden outburst that I sort of just quickly rattled off the last of the pertinent info he had asked for just to get rid of him. Looking back I wish I would have told him to head off.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
FalloutJack said:
I actually work at a church. Being rude is kind of taboo there.
Oh it happens, trust me. I mean honestly, just once you mistake a confessional for a toilet cubicle, well, lets just say the reaction of the church-folke was not very Christian...

OT: I used to be a retail manager and had more experiences than I would care to recall with aggressive and rude customers. There is one that will always stick with me - although she wasn't technically a customer as she hadn't come to buy anything. In the morning we had caught a youth shoplifting, for the second time, and had had him removed by the police. That afternoon I get called down to the customer service desk to address a complaint, turns out to be the lad's mother, come to take issue with the us for having her son arrested.

Fifteen minutes of shouting and screaming then ensued during which time I was called some very unpleasant names (and some others I didn't even recognise), she accused us of being racist (saying we wouldn't have had a white kid arrested for the same thing) and finally she started threatening to sue us for being "a bunch of bastard bastards". I finally lost patience with trying to calm her down and explained she had to the count of 10 to leave or I would call the police and have her locked up along with her thieving scumspawn. Regrettably aggressive with hindsight but it felt damned good and had the right result.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
TallanKhan said:
FalloutJack said:
I actually work at a church. Being rude is kind of taboo there.
Oh it happens, trust me. I mean honestly, just once you mistake a confessional for a toilet cubicle, well, lets just say the reaction of the church-folke was not very Christian...
Okay, I wanna hear that story, if you have it from personal experience. What precipitated this ummm...precipitation?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
FalloutJack said:
I've a different story stemming from a Catholic Mass and an assault charge on my behalf. I didn't get charged mind you, the other party did because they thought it was ok to push me from behind during the whole kneeling part (I'm not Catholic, I was there for moral support for my Grandmother who asked me to go). Hit my head on the pew and busted open, turned around and freaked out and called the cops... yeah I'm that guy who makes a scene during mass but it was assault and battery.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
FalloutJack said:
I've a different story stemming from a Catholic Mass and an assault charge on my behalf. I didn't get charged mind you, the other party did because they thought it was ok to push me from behind during the whole kneeling part (I'm not Catholic, I was there for moral support for my Grandmother who asked me to go). Hit my head on the pew and busted open, turned around and freaked out and called the cops... yeah I'm that guy who makes a scene during mass but it was assault and battery.
Well, I AM Catholic and I'm here to tell you it's not alright for someone to push somebody else in church and cause a head injury, even if you're not Catholic.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
FalloutJack said:
FalloutJack said:
Well, I AM Catholic and I'm here to tell you it's not alright for someone to push somebody else in church and cause a head injury, even if you're not Catholic.
Oh trust me I know that, and most people I know who're religious of some sort understand that. This person obviously didn't, and wasn't allowed back in that church for a very long time. I didn't press any charges beyond letting them sit a night in lockup, just because I was pissed. But even though I'm not religious (I've my own views and I keep them personal), I am forgiving.
Plus its a funny story to tell about how people can be jerks no matter where/when you are.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
PaulH said:
Having worked in food service, retail, video rental, movie theaters, tech support of both in home, office and phone types, I've pretty much endured every iteration of the rudest customer archetype...
Everything is mashed up into one giant rude jackass named "the customer" who believes he/she is always right and is entitled to his/her way no matter what. *shrug* They're all jackasses.
Can I ask ... which was the worst for bad customers though? I haven't had a customer-centred job in years, but given that I recently quit my education sector job to go back to uni, I was wondering which of all those jobs was the least stressful for part-time work? I don't deal with irate or unreasonable customers well, those who feel like they can order someone about.

I don't mind being ordered about unreasonably by a boss, given they are the ones putting money in my bank account ... but customers giving me shit for no reason? I want to limit that as much as possible.
Phone service is possibly the worst because they don't have to look you in the eye before they threaten you... just like some of the shit people talk online, you know face-to-face they'd never say it IRL, its just a gut feeling.
I'm the type of person who values integrity, and most people don't have it.
I think any job that deals with intoxicated people would have to be the worst, because what they wouldn't say or do sober online, on the phone or otherwise, they sure as hell WILL say and do drunk in person.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Lil devils x said:
I think any job that deals with intoxicated people would have to be the worst, because what they wouldn't say or do sober online, on the phone or otherwise, they sure as hell WILL say and do drunk in person.
At least though in serving alcohol (or other intoxicants... whatever else you're thinking of?) people HAVE an excuse for being stupid out of control morons... I mean yeah I've had some people who were obviously not completely sober call into phone support before but most people were genuine grade A sober assholes with no excuse for their behavior but being human and most of the time, completely wrong about the situation (issue was their fault, out of warranty, wasn't even our equipment, they caused the failure, etc.).
I've worked at a bar before, drunk people are a bit easier to deal with at times depending on the level of intoxication, size and number of people with them and said entourage's size and intoxication (and even that only decides on when you just call the cops who're usually a street away). Drunk assholes are so much easier to deal with because you can actually be arrested for being a drunk jerk, whereas being an asshole at a retail establishment 90% of the time (or to tech support) doesn't have any negative consequences and sometimes can get you free shit or refunds when you shouldn't get them.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Lil devils x said:
At least though in serving alcohol (or other intoxicants... whatever else you're thinking of?) people HAVE an excuse for being stupid out of control morons... I mean yeah I've had some people who were obviously not completely sober call into phone support before but most people were genuine grade A sober assholes with no excuse for their behavior but being human and most of the time, completely wrong about the situation (issue was their fault, out of warranty, wasn't even our equipment, they caused the failure, etc.).
I've worked at a bar before, drunk people are a bit easier to deal with at times depending on the level of intoxication, size and number of people with them and said entourage's size and intoxication (and even that only decides on when you just call the cops who're usually a street away). Drunk assholes are so much easier to deal with because you can actually be arrested for being a drunk jerk, whereas being an asshole at a retail establishment 90% of the time (or to tech support) doesn't have any negative consequences and sometimes can get you free shit or refunds when you shouldn't get them.
I would guess for the verbal issues of rudeness to some extent,however, they are less likely to be arrested for their physical rudeness to employees in a bar than they would be in a store. If a person picked you up above their head and started running around with you in a retail setting, they would surely call the police, in a bar the people just laugh and think it funny. They consider being sexually assaulted to be " just part of the territory" when working at a bar, I do not think that is the case for other customer service settings.

Though when you think of it, those same people who are rude assholes sober in the retail settings, are even WORSE when you get alcohol in them. You do not call the police for every rude customer in a bar, you only call the police on the ones who are considered a danger to themselves and others, otherwise you would have no customers left. You don't call the police for people who are just rude or even on the ones who put their hands on you, you only call for those who are trying to kill people. They are still just as rude in an attempt to get out of paying their bill and in an attempt to get free drinks.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Lil devils x said:
I would guess for the verbal issues of rudeness to some extent,however, they are less likely to be arrested for their physical rudeness to employees in a bar than they would be in a store. If a person picked you up above their head and started running around with you in a retail setting, they would surely call the police, in a bar the people just laugh and think it funny. They consider being sexually assaulted to be " just part of the territory" when working at a bar, I do not think that is the case for other customer service settings.

Though when you think of it, those same people who are rude assholes sober in the retail settings, are even WORSE when you get alcohol in them. You do not call the police for every rude customer in a bar, you only call the police on the ones who are considered a danger to themselves and others, otherwise you would have no customers left. You don't call the police for people who are just rude or even on the ones who put their hands on you, you only call for those who are trying to kill people. They are still just as rude in an attempt to get out of paying their bill and in an attempt to get free drinks.
Uhmmmm if I were physically assaulted while I was working at a bar and no one called the cops, there would be lawsuits going around to the whole damn establishment... Thats not "just part of the territory" of working at a bar, or at least none of the bars I've ever been to or worked at. I've seen multiple bartenders physically assaulted, yes, but those people also got their asses handed to them and ended their nights in cuffs. Don't fuck with the people serving you alcohol.
In retail, same courtesy extends, aside from the law doesn't change just because you're in a bar or in Walmart...
What world do you live in?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Lil devils x said:

Uhmmmm if I were physically assaulted while I was working at a bar and no one called the cops, there would be lawsuits going around to the whole damn establishment... Thats not "just part of the territory" of working at a bar, or at least none of the bars I've ever been to or worked at. I've seen multiple bartenders physically assaulted, yes, but those people also got their asses handed to them and ended their nights in cuffs. Don't fuck with the people serving you alcohol.
In retail, same courtesy extends, aside from the law doesn't change just because you're in a bar or in Walmart...
What world do you live in?
For female bartenders, a hand on your ass or your breast happens like every 5 minutes. No, you do not call the cops for every asshole who thinks they can grope, grind or give you unwanted affection. You remove their hand and tell them to back off and move on to the next customer. What world does this happen in? Many bars on 6th street in Austin Texas, many bars in Dallas Texas, and how about the rest of the US? It would be living in a fantasy world to think otherwise. Even when I went to the televised speed bartending competition OTHER bartenders would do that crap. A girl who makes a big deal out of someone grabbing her ass doesn't work there very long, lawsuit or not. That is the reality of the world we both live in.

I was a speed bartender dealing with 10 rows back at the bar, the sheer volume of what you deal with in that environment would make it impossible to do anything about it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Lil devils x said:
For female bartenders, a hand on your ass or your breast happens like every 5 minutes. No, you do not call the cops for every asshole who thinks they can grope, grind or give you unwanted affection. You remove their hand and tell them to back off and move on to the next customer. What world does this happen in? Many bars on 6th street in Austin Texas, many bars in Dallas Texas, and how about the rest of the US? It would be living in a fantasy world to think otherwise. Even when I went to the televised speed bartending competition OTHER bartenders would do that crap. A girl who makes a big deal out of someone grabbing her ass doesn't work there very long, lawsuit or not. That is the reality of the world we both live in.
Ahh, you used some hyperbole about being picked up above one's head and paraded about like that was a regular thing. Yeah sexual assault is a bad and unfortunately regular thing in bars, and when I worked in them usually found ways of dissuading customers from that type of behavior myself and a lot of the bars I worked at had partnerships going between co-workers to keep eyes on wandering-hands customers. Some people are drunk and stupid, and its not an excuse but where I grew up it was also accepted to get knocked on your ass for being too forward, but its something about small towns and such.
Larger the setting, the less personal people are and the more assholish people can get so I can totally understand that.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Lil devils x said:
Ahh, you used some hyperbole about being picked up above one's head and paraded about like that was a regular thing. Yeah sexual assault is a bad and unfortunately regular thing in bars, and when I worked in them usually found ways of dissuading customers from that type of behavior myself and a lot of the bars I worked at had partnerships going between co-workers to keep eyes on wandering-hands customers. Some people are drunk and stupid, and its not an excuse but where I grew up it was also accepted to get knocked on your ass for being too forward, but its something about small towns and such.
Larger the setting, the less personal people are and the more assholish people can get so I can totally understand that.
I was talking about the green beret guy who picked me up and carried me around, and no he was not arrested.. he was there with his police and military buddies.. He was a war hero, loved by the local police. He could carry me wherever he wished and they would just laugh... No he didn't go to jail even with the police right there. No, he was not the first customer to pick me up off the ground, I am petite, it happens all the time. For some reason men think it is okay to pick up small women into the air, like we should have no say over our own person because we are small. For some reason in peoples minds it is okay to pick up small women because they are small? The whole idea of " Oh your so little I could just pick you up!" is what happens, and then guys think my own personal space means nothing at that point. No, none of the men who have lifted me into the air have gone to jail for it.