Ruins of Calrad: A Mount and Blade RP (interest/sign-up thread)

Mr.Ivebeenframed

Jan 6, 2011
SamtheDeathclaw said:
Oh I was wondering, how realistic is the RP going to depicted? Like weather, attrition, supplies, and exhaustion of your troops who are in the fight too long are going to play part in the RP or is this a good old dandy unlimited swings of death that I've come to love Warband so much?

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Mr.Ivebeenframed said:
Oh I was wondering, how realistic is the RP going to depicted? Like weather, attrition, supplies, and exhaustion of your troops who are in the fight too long are going to play part in the RP or is this a good old dandy unlimited swings of death that I've come to love Warband so much?
Hm... I'm not a big fan of too much realism, but there will be some. Probably a bit less than in M&B, since I can't find a good way to calculate some things by hand. I made a bunch of concessions to realism, just to keep it moving. A few of your questions are answered in it.

-Weather will not be a factor, since it never shows up in M&B, that I recall.

-A string of battles in a row lowers morale, lowered morale means a negative modifier on the combat roll, and your opponent having low morale gives you a positive. So yes, attrition warfare is doable.

-Supplies are simplified from , costing 10 denar to feed 10 men for 50 days. Which is ridiculous, but whatever. Everyone will start out with some food (20 days' worth), even if it's not mentioned in the character sheet.

-In sieges- which will be vastly different and any npc help you have won't run off to fuck with peasant- you can choose to attack in waves, with your most expendable in front and your veterans in the back. you'll take a morale hit and lose most of the earliest wave, but capture the castle more easily because the defenders are tired. But that's the only time combat tiredness will come into play.

I hope this is acceptable? There is some realism, quite a bit really, I guess, but not as much as M&B is renowned for, simply because I can't figure out a way to make it work.

Geth Reich said:
That sounds like the best solution: let everyone get settled, build a powerbase and then let us loose on the Calradian heir story. Hopefully with lots and lots of dirty politicking, betrayals and gory battles!
Oh don't worry, it's going to have all that and more. :D

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
EDIT: Rewritten as requested.

Name: Jakob Aidler

Appearance: A slender giant of a man, Jakob is both uncommonly tall and uncommonly slim for a nobleman, standing roughly a head taller then most men of Calradia. The sharp aristocratic features of his face are dominated by sunken swamp green eyes and an enormous forked black beard and moustache, giving him a permanmently tired, brooding look. His hair is the same colour as his bard and is cut short in a manner befitting his military upbringing and his skin, normally of a pale complexion thanks to his noble Swadian birth, has been tanned by the heat of the Sarranidian enviroment. The most distinguishing feature Lord Aidler possesses-other then his height-is a clubbed left foot, a legacy of an ambush by bandits in his earlier years. While not severe enough to require the use of walking aids, Jakob cannot run as quickly as others nor is particularly agile: an interesting situation given the man's preference for fighting on foot.

Personality: Jakob Aidler is a Swadian aristocrat through and through: contemptuous of his lessers, paranoid about his fellow nobles and their insidious designs and utterly convinced of his own superiority; be it with blade, intellect or blood. Calculating and mistrustful, Jakob suspects treason and plots at every corner and while he is usually adept at maintaining a calm facade, sometimes his paranoia gets the better of him and can cause fits of violent temper as he lashes out at real and percieved foes: an expensive education has only excacerbated this trait as the man is convinced the same coups and conspiracies of history can happen again.

Notable Skills: Jakob is a skilled if unexceptional swordsman, highly trained and well experienced in the use of sword and shield. Although he is a competant rider, he only uses his steed for travelling purposes and dismounts when combat is afoot. Jakob's other expertise lies in commanding others as he is well versed in tactics and possesses a forceful charisma born of complete self-conviction that enables him to dominate the lower orders.

Equipment: Left almost completely destitute by the fortunes of war, Jakob can only boast a few score Denars to his name and is equipped with merely a simple arming sword and the tattered clothes of a Khergit captive. However, he is determined to rise again......

Bio: The Aidler family had served as margraves of the Swadian-Khergit border for many generations when Jakob was born in their ancestral castle at Rindyar. His was a privileged upbringing: the only son of a prestigous family, he was afforded the best martial training and education money could buy since he would not only assume the position of Margrave of Rindyar when fully grown but he was also vital to the continuation of the Aidler bloodline. As might be expected, Jakob grew up relatively spoiled and became used to the idea of inherent lordship over all, an idea reinforced by frequent trips accompanying his father to conscript local peasants and passing mercenaries for the defense of the border.

In spite of any personality flaws, Jakob soon assumed responsbilities in his family's fiefdom in his teen years and was often charged with leading small patrols around its territories, on the lookout for Khergit forces, outlaws and simply anyone the young lord didn't like the look of. It was during one of these patrols that Jakob experienced a defining moment of his life: spying an infamous outlaw of the region, Jakob gave chase at once, racing ahead of his surprised comrades. It was only when the first javelin whipped past his head did he realise he'd been lured into an ambush. Seperated from his horsemen and having foolishly followed the outlaw into the wooded border with Tilmaut fied, Jakob was forced to fight for his life alone and against a dozen bandits-worse, attempting to dismount, his horse was brought down by more javelins and pinned him to the earth by his left leg. Though his party arrived in time to scare off the bandits and drag him free, Jakob was left seething from what he saw as the humilation of being outwitted and outfought by common peasantry, even after his leg had been set at Rindyar and the outlaws caught and hung. He vowed that so help him gods, he would never be outmanoeuvred again.

The next decade saw Jakob orphaned by a thankfully minor outbreak of plague and fighting in the seemingly endless border wars with the Khanate, chasing off raiding parties and crossing the border to raze villages. It was here he excelled, showing a ruthless enthuaism for plunder and little quarter to the enemy. The Rindyar garrison saw off numerous Khergit attacks but it was never employed as the starting-off point for a serious counter-attack: something that increasingly infuriated Jakob. He petitioned Praven again and again for the right to launch a campaign against the Khanate, to conquer their lands and ensure the safety of the margrave but again and again the royal court refused. To add insult to injury in Jakob's eyes, he was constantly invited to feasts and tournaments even as his fief wrestled with invaders! Strategically frustrated, convinced that the lords who attended the feasts were mocking him and viewing King Harlus as a weak man incapable of decisive action, Jakob took action and mustered everything he could from Rindyar for his own assault on the Khergit.

When Calradian scholars talk of the greatest military defeats of modern history, the Battle of Halmar features most prominently.

Jakob's campaign against the Khergit targeted the town of Halmar, a key trade point for the Khanate and no doubt a wealthy source of plunder, not to mention that the capture of such a prize would prove to Harlus and his court that Jakob had been right all along and would galvinze them into true war. But the campaign ended in disastor: despite initial success in raiding nearby villages and destroying small enemy parties, the campaign ground to a halt when Jakob committed his men to a seige of Halmar, despite the advice of his lieutenants. Barely a few months into the seige, a relief force arrived, greatly outnumbering the Swadians-investing the town, they could not escape the fast moving Khergit horsemen and were brought to battle. It was a slaughter: Jakob personally fought with ferocity but his arrogance had doomed his men from the moment they had arrived at Halmar. His army was destroyed in short order, cut down by lancers and horse archers with the few survivors taken prisoner, including Jakob who had tried to organise a last ditch defense when the Khergit infantry approached to mop-up the remnants of his forces. Had his captors recoginised his heraldry they might have lopped off his head there and then, great was the hatred the Khanate bore for the latest Aidler but as luck would have it, his coat of arms had either been hacked from his armour or was so rent and damaged by blows it was impossible to decipher, giving Jakob the dubious fate of imprisonment in the town he had sought to capture.

The new few months in captivity brought further ill-tidings: Jakob learnt from his captors that another great victory had been achieved by the Khan's warriors and that the castle of Rindyar had fallen, leaving him dispossessed and penniless. Before long he was taken from his cell: he feared that his identity had finally been discovered but it was not so-instead he was to be taken to the slave markets of Narra to see if he could fetch a fine price for his foes. Stripped of his title and family holdings and destined for a life of slavery in some distant Khergit pit, it seemed Jakob's saga was coming to a ignominious end-however fate smiled on the man.

The prisoner caravan was halfway to Narra when it came under attack by a sizeable force of deserters and brigands garbed in the manner of Rhodoks-surely the remnants of some army defeated by the Sarranids, whose border was only a day's travel to the south. Volleys and counter-volleys of arrows and crossbow bolts flew across the plains as the caravan guards fought with their assailiants and in the confusion the ropes binding Jakob came loose and he was able to free himself, pausing only to grab a sword some food from a fallen guard before fleeing the fight on a stolen horse. The caravan a distant object and hidden inside a copse, the nobleman took stock: his holdings in Swadia were gone and with them his wealth and worth in the kingdom. To stay in Khergit lands was a death sentence: even if no-one recoginised him as the Margrave of Rindyar he was still an escaped prisoner and lords paid just as well for the heads of such individuals as they did for the whole body. There was only course left to Jakob and so he took it, making his way to the Sarranid border with the intent of regaining his status in this world at any cost.....

(There! Re-created my in-game character and his epic story)

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
SamtheDeathclaw said:
Mr.Ivebeenframed said:
Hm... I'm not a big fan of too much realism, but there will be some. Probably a bit less than in M&B, since I can't find a good way to calculate some things by hand. I made a bunch of concessions to realism, just to keep it moving. A few of your questions are answered in it.

-Weather will not be a factor, since it never shows up in M&B, that I recall.

-A string of battles in a row lowers morale, lowered morale means a negative modifier on the combat roll, and your opponent having low morale gives you a positive. So yes, attrition warfare is doable.

-Supplies are simplified from , costing 10 denar to feed 10 men for 50 days. Which is ridiculous, but whatever. Everyone will start out with some food (20 days' worth), even if it's not mentioned in the character sheet.

-In sieges- which will be vastly different and any npc help you have won't run off to fuck with peasant- you can choose to attack in waves, with your most expendable in front and your veterans in the back. you'll take a morale hit and lose most of the earliest wave, but capture the castle more easily because the defenders are tired. But that's the only time combat tiredness will come into play.

I hope this is acceptable? There is some realism, quite a bit really, I guess, but not as much as M&B is renowned for, simply because I can't figure out a way to make it work.

Geth Reich said:
That sounds like the best solution: let everyone get settled, build a powerbase and then let us loose on the Calradian heir story. Hopefully with lots and lots of dirty politicking, betrayals and gory battles!
Oh don't worry, it's going to have all that and more. :D
Excellent, excellent-can't have a Mount and Blade RP without backstabbing and treason (if the game is anything to go by, lords defect every day)!

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Geth Reich said:
It's good, but diabolus ex mundi. There are a few things I would have you change a bit.

The Sarranids have no reason to be fighting the Khanate. They're not exactly allies, but a Sarranid force wouldn't attack a Khergit group, or even be in Khergit lands at all. If you can find a way to justify a Sarranid attack on the Khanate, though, go right ahead! But it should be a reasonable explanation, at the least.

You may want to reduce the equipment a bit. It's a bit... Much for an as-of-yet common mercenary- even one who was once a lord. Maybe just a step down in quality for either the sword or the shield? The rp starts out with people at a fairly low-ish level. You'll get better kit as time goes on.

That's really all I would ask that you either change or justify. Oh, and just so you know, your links are broken. :|
ALSO: How many men does he have? I'm assuming 15, which is the ballpark max for the moment.
ANYWAYS. It's a good character, just needs a couple of things changed.

Geth Reich said:
Excellent, excellent-can't have a Mount and Blade RP without backstabbing and treason (if the game is anything to go by, lords defect every day)!
I chose the heir thing out of a few ideas just because it gives a lot of reason to have everyone betraying everyone. :D

Fishtie

Sep 19, 2010
It's bandit time! This could make for some... interesting team ups.

Name: Gerick Crito

Appearance: Gerick is perhaps an inch or two below average with broad shoulders though the rest of him is somewhat thin. Gerick's face is quite squarish and his brown curly hair is quite short and wild. Gerick lacks any major scars or marks, but his rough and generally dirty skin indicate that fine beds and bathing are a rarity in his lifestyle. Gerick's eyes are a lighter brown and he's got a tendency to squint slightly to make up for his slight farsightedness. Gerick almost never stands up straight, mostly slouching when he can't find a shady spot to lean or lay in.

Personality: Gerick is most happy when he's allowed to be rather laid back and humorous, often finding a sour laugh in his sometimes black sense of humor. On the other hand, whenever engaged in any kind of business Gerick becomes exceedingly serious with his lack of joking directly proportional to how many lives could be at stake. Gerick tends to have an easy relaxed aura about him and is particularly unflappable when lying though heavy fighting tends to unsettle him. Gerick has a rather peculiar sense of personal honer; despite being a lier, cheat, and bandit; he always sticks to his morals and promises.

Notable Skills: Gerick is a highly knowledgeable engineer learned in both classic and modern construction methods and materials. Gerick's profession has also led to becoming decent at a series of skills. Gerick is quite skilled at hiding as well as setting up ambushes, particularly in forests. He's also a decent if not good shot with a bow and he knows how to handle a knife in a fight. Gerick is also a skilled bluffer, he lies easily and well as well as knows how to spot someone else deceiving in an instant.

Gerick also know a touch of first aid and is surprisingly good at keeping his motley crew in line.

Equipment: Gerick's main weapon is an old worn short bow with some bent arrows. He also keeps a notched dagger as well as a few throwing knifes on him most of the time. Like most of his followers, Gerick doesn't wear much armor beyond a few hardened leathers and a bit of padding but he maintains a pair of tough cloaks; one thick and white for winter and the other is a dark green for when it isn't snowing. Gerick also likes keeping a few caltrops on hand.

Gerick has a handful of coins for expenditures, but most of his wealth is tied up in long term food and wages for his crew.

Location: A surprisingly well constructed bandit hideout in the woods between Ibrian and Tahlberl. (East of Suno)

Bio: Long ago... when the Old Empire controlled Calrad and all were united the Empire held great power and knowledge. And when the royal family wanted a river bridged or a fort destroyed they called upon the Imperial Engineer to oversee the work knowing that he would never fail them. For generations the position of Imperial Engineer was held by a member of the Crito family representing the true mastery of the empire. But as the end drew upon the Old Empire, Decimus Crito's political enemies united and drove him out, he swore then that he would serve no lesser lord and that his time of return would come. And so he made his way out into the mountains and forests to live as he must...

Or, at least that is the story that Gerick was told by his father all his life. Gerick's father was the leader of a group of forest bandits, the same group that his grandfather had led and allegedly so on back to Decimus Crito. Gerick's father never tiered of telling Gerick that these situations were merely temporary; that one day the Old Empire would rise again and Gerick would have a place within it at the vary top. Well... maybe Gerick's grandchildren... that wasn't important, the time would come.

Appropriately, Gerick's father raised him both to lead the bandits when his time came, as well as in the methods of construction and destruction of all manor of buildings and contraptions. Over time Gerick came into the skills and when his father died of disease he took up his place as head of the bandit crew.

As years went by Gerick shaped the group and their operations even more to his liking. They focused their efforts even more on making their traps and raids bloodless and even chased most of the rival bandit gangs out of their turf. Since the group had never harassed the local villages the area actually became quite safe and some caravan leaders even came to consider it a good idea to pay a 'nominal fee' rather then travel more dangerous roads.

Meanwhile, Gerick became even more interested in engineering. His father had taught him a lot about old ways of doing things, but Gerick would sneak into cities disguised not only to negotiate the release of prisoners and do other business, but also to learn about more modern constructions.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Fishtie said:
I like it, I like it. A little different than what we've had so far, and that's pretty cool.
I think it'll make an interesting story! Crito, if he decides to try for the Imperial Engineer thing, would definitely shake things up a bit.
Accepted. :D

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Yokillernick said:
CaptainHook69 said:
CJ1145 said:
[sub][sub]and a bottle of rum.[/sub][/sub]
Are you three still interested? I'm trying to get everything all sorted out before we start.
Geth Reich said:
If my requested changes are a problem or something, pm me and we'll sort it out, alright?
Unless you've just lost interest I suppose. That does happen.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Apologies, never got around to a sheet. I'll try and put one up tonight, but don't let me hold you up.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
CJ1145 said:
Apologies, never got around to a sheet. I'll try and put one up tonight, but don't let me hold you up.
Oh, it's no problem. I completely understand.
We're starting Friday, but I'll still be accepting sheets. You'll just have to start a bit later if you submit one after that. :D

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
SamtheDeathclaw said:
Yokillernick said:
CaptainHook69 said:
CJ1145 said:
[sub][sub]and a bottle of rum.[/sub][/sub]
Are you three still interested? I'm trying to get everything all sorted out before we start.
Geth Reich said:
If my requested changes are a problem or something, pm me and we'll sort it out, alright?
Unless you've just lost interest I suppose. That does happen.
No no no nothing of the sort! Sorry, its just I never sign out of this profile because I always forget my password and I haven't been on for the past two days due to exhaustion with other affairs, I'm still interested-let me just faff with my character now and run it past you.

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
SamtheDeathclaw said:
Geth Reich said:
It's good, but diabolus ex mundi. There are a few things I would have you change a bit.

The Sarranids have no reason to be fighting the Khanate. They're not exactly allies, but a Sarranid force wouldn't attack a Khergit group, or even be in Khergit lands at all. If you can find a way to justify a Sarranid attack on the Khanate, though, go right ahead! But it should be a reasonable explanation, at the least.

You may want to reduce the equipment a bit. It's a bit... Much for an as-of-yet common mercenary- even one who was once a lord. Maybe just a step down in quality for either the sword or the shield? The rp starts out with people at a fairly low-ish level. You'll get better kit as time goes on.

That's really all I would ask that you either change or justify. Oh, and just so you know, your links are broken. :|
ALSO: How many men does he have? I'm assuming 15, which is the ballpark max for the moment.
ANYWAYS. It's a good character, just needs a couple of things changed.

Geth Reich said:
I chose the heir thing out of a few ideas just because it gives a lot of reason to have everyone betraying everyone. :D
Hmmm, I was trying to come up with a good reason why my character would defect to the Sarranids of all people using my game experiences as a reference (where everyone was at war with everyone basically)-don't worry, I'll come up with something a bit more feasible in a minute. And don't worry about the blasted links, it was just basic Sarranid armour (the desert robes and mail combo). I still have no idea how to get links to appear in posts....

Ah sorry, again I was using my game experiences as a reference and just bought good equipment right away. I'll fix it and detail my party shortly!

One last thing: what does "Diabolus ex mundi" mean?

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Geth Reich said:
Hmmm, I was trying to come up with a good reason why my character would defect to the Sarranids of all people using my game experiences as a reference (where everyone was at war with everyone basically)-don't worry, I'll come up with something a bit more feasible in a minute. And don't worry about the blasted links, it was just basic Sarranid armour (the desert robes and mail combo). I still have no idea how to get links to appear in posts....

Ah sorry, again I was using my game experiences as a reference and just bought good equipment right away. I'll fix it and detail my party shortly!

"Devil in the details." As in, it's good, but little things are off.
Everyone will be at war with everyone later, but for now all of the wars are listed in the original post. Khergit vs. Swadia, Vaegirs vs. Nords, sarranids vs. Rhodoks. Though Swadia is on bad terms with everyone.
[ link = put your link URL here] text you want to appear for the link [ / link ] Without spaces. I dunno what's up with your link being broken, though.
It would be appreciated! There's not really any rush, just sometime before Friday would be best.

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
SamtheDeathclaw said:
Geth Reich said:

"Devil in the details." As in, it's good, but little things are off.
Everyone will be at war with everyone later, but for now all of the wars are listed in the original post. Khergit vs. Swadia, Vaegirs vs. Nords, sarranids vs. Rhodoks. Though Swadia is on bad terms with everyone.
[ link = put your link URL here] text you want to appear for the link [ / link ] Without spaces. I dunno what's up with your link being broken, though.
It would be appreciated! There's not really any rush, just sometime before Friday would be best.
Alright, finally got the hang of the hyperlinked text I've seen so much on this site!

Your instructions are understood and will be adhered to but I must ask you something: is it ok if my character starts off without a party or much on his person? He will become a viable player in the RP sooner rather then later but with the way I've rewritten his bio, it would be best if he starts off poor and under-equipped.

EDIT: I've rewritten my character just in case you read this before my updated character sheet (bloody Australian time-zones.....)

Tyrannical

Oct 29, 2011
Name: Raddas Milyar

Appearance: Black ragged unwashed hair, almost shoulder length. Slight stubble. Green eyes, with a cruel glint to them. He is heavily scarred across both his arms, and a thin pale scar runs across his left cheek.

Personality: Raddas is extremely egotistical, and violent. He has been known to lash out against subordinates for the smallest of provocations, and is extremely cruel to his prisoners, especially those belonging to the Kingdom of Rhodok. The only thing he took away from his time in the Sarranid military is a hatred of the Rhodok.

Notable Skills: Raddas is a skilled tracker and rider, and is competent at making strategies designed to take as many enemies alive as possible.

Equipment: Sarranid Archer Armour (check the game), Desert Turban, Sarranid Robes, Desert Horse, Winged Mace, Leather Covered Round Shield, Leather Gloves, Leather Boots. Approx 500 Denars, a small desert bandit group. (10 men including himself?)

Location: A small hidden camp in between Barriye and Bardaq castle.

Bio: Raddas was raised in the harsh desert enviroment of the Sarranid Sultanate, and was always of a dark disposition, the origin of which is uncertain. He was to be doomed to a life of farm service, but left his home (and killed his parents for good measure) to work for the military. There, he trained to be a Mamluke, but quickly found that the military didn't pay him enough. He did not complete his training, and deserted (after killing his commanding officer for good measure.)
He found work with one of the local bandit groups, and quickly murdered his way to the position of chief. Driven purely by a lust for money, Raddas will fight for the highest bidder, provided they are not Rhodok.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Geth Reich said:
Alright, finally got the hang of the hyperlinked text I've seen so much on this site!

Your instructions are understood and will be adhered to but I must ask you something: is it ok if my character starts off without a party or much on his person? He will become a viable player in the RP sooner rather then later but with the way I've rewritten his bio, it would be best if he starts off poor and under-equipped.

EDIT: I've rewritten my character just in case you read this before my updated character sheet (bloody Australian time-zones.....)
Yup, I only learned with this thread. :D
Yeah, that's just fine! We'll talk out what'll happen once he gets where he's headed, so you won't be stuck with such mangy stuff for too long.
Accepted.

Tyrannical said:
Short and to the point. I like it. :D Acceptance.
Murdering your way across Calradia will have some fun consequences, just so you knoooow. :D

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
SamtheDeathclaw said:
Geth Reich said:

Yup, I only learned with this thread. :D
Yeah, that's just fine! We'll talk out what'll happen once he gets where he's headed, so you won't be stuck with such mangy stuff for too long.
Accepted.

Tyrannical said:
Murdering your way across Calradia will have some fun consequences, just so you knoooow. :D
Ah, excellent! And I've just gone and accepted your invite to the very official sounding RP group so all we do now is play the waiting game......waiting and plotting......

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Geth Reich said:
Ah, excellent! And I've just gone and accepted your invite to the very official sounding RP group so all we do now is play the waiting game......waiting and plotting......
Mostly plotting. :D

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
SamtheDeathclaw said:
Geth Reich said:
Mostly plotting. :D
<__>

<__>

Are you going to have a character in this RP?

Captcha: "Toe-curling"-yes, my devlish schemes would curl the toes of good honest Calradian folk!

Tyrannical

Oct 29, 2011
SamtheDeathclaw said:
Murdering your way across Calradia will have some fun consequences AWESOME HILARITY, just so you knoooow. :D
Fixed that for you.