Rumor: Activision Doesn't Think Female Leads Can Sell Games

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Activision Doesn't Think Female Leads Can Sell Games

Activision might be directing its studios to stay away from developing games that star female characters.

Sources out of Activision are saying that the publisher forced its studios to alter the gender of their games' main characters to stay in line with what it thought would sell. While a specific situation surrounding the development of True Crime: Hong Kong [http://www.amazon.com/True-Crime-Hong-Kong-Xbox-360/dp/B0030HLOUU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280961869&sr=8-2] is named, the sources say this is just part of a larger problem at Activision where the company uses focus group tests to the "extreme."

Activision's Treyarch once conceived a game inspired by Hong-Kong action cinema called Black Lotus starring a Lucy Liu-esque female lead. Activision reportedly decided that in 2007, when Gamasutra [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-3-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU0NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280961885&sr=8-1]. "Activision gave us specific direction to lose the chick," said another.

One plainly believes: "Activision has no room for 'we are making an open-world game with a Hong Kong action movie feel with a female lead,' because that game doesn't exist right now. What they do have room for is, 'we are making an open-world game with a gangster main character who can steal cars and shoot people, but it will be in Hong Kong instead of Liberty City. And then they go, 'Hey, GTA IV [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Playstation-3/dp/B000HKP88C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280961854&sr=8-1] sold 10 million copies, so that's what we expect from you.'"

Black Lotus was then reborn as True Crime: Hong Kong, now in development at United Front Games and starring a male lead. The sources indicate that this project switch is evidence of Activision's reliance on focus tests that they say stifle developer creativity. They also say that management skews focus tests at times so that they suit management's own opinions, such as with one case where "feedback sent to the higher-ups from someone on the publishing side was skewed to be the exact opposite" of what it actually was.

But this doesn't just involve True Crime: Hong Kong and the female gender. The sources also say that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas [http://www.amazon.com/True-Crime-York-City-Playstation-2/dp/B0009Z3HXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280961942&sr=8-1], which starred a black gang member, forced a switch to a black male gangster for True Crime as well.

Activision replied to the allegations, saying it "does not have a policy of telling its studios what game content they can develop, nor has the company told any of its studios that they cannot develop games with female lead characters." It says there was no gender mandate put on the main character of True Crime: Hong Kong, but did say it "uses market research in order to better understand [what] gamers are looking for" like most videogame and media companies.

Anonymous sources are always tough to put my full faith in, because sometimes they can be disgruntled employees with an axe to grind. Whether Activision specifically said "lose the chick" or not, it probably does use focus testing to some degree and try to alter future studio behavior based on the results.

Though we've seen games with female leads like very well [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Xbox-360/dp/B001CMIUYS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280961841&sr=8-2], for whatever reason this may not be the case with other genres. Would a Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty-style game really appeal to the same mainstream audience if it were to have a female on the cover or as a main character? If no, why the heck not? I would love to see a studio develop one such title (that's actually good) to see what happens.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29719/InDepth_No_Female_Heroes_At_Activision.php]

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Dear Activision,
Please. Please. Please learn to STFU. If female leads cannot help sell games, pray tell, why has the Tomb Raider series done so well? Why is Beyond Good & Evil a cult-classic? Why did Resident Evil 1 do so well? And Mirror's Edge? That's a great game.
Stop being fools, lower your prices, stop talking and make good games.
Thank you.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Firstly, in my opinion Lightning isn't even the lead character in FFXIII since she isn't seen more than others and isn't focused on more than others, she is just shown on the box art and is the first character you see, other than that everyone is evenly distrubuted in terms of screen time.

Sorry, got a little off topic... OT: What some people have to understand though is that the majority of the gaming market is Male and so companies are worried to make games have only female leads because it might put off people from buying it. It's why BioWare shows only the Male Shepard in trailers and box arts and yet you can still choose to be female.

Although i do think Activision are being quite silly and should take a risk and not be so snobbish.

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, because games with a female lead have never made a major impact on gaming.

I hate focus groups so much. And this pisses me off. Your game won't sell well if it has a male-lead. Stop focusing on pointless things and focus on actually making the games fun.

Morons.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Metroid... mother******* Metroid. You stupid mother*******!

Gah! This is actually the first time my blood boiled at this nonsense.

EDIT: Well played Irridium... well played.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
It does sound like something Activision would do, to be honest.
Pretty much. The main problem I have with Activision is they've decided to dump the idea of making a game but rather want to make a product that sells.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
No point getting disgruntled, because none of this is confirmed. It's all a rumour.

Considering Activision's bad reputation though, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone agreed that this was true. Not defending them, just looking at it from a different perspective.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
When has Activision ever been supportive of anything resembling a new idea? Where exactly is the butterzone between "this idea is too radical! we hate your idea! We like what's familiar!" and "This is too similar to games we already exploited to death! Suck my lawsuit!"?

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
YurdleTheTurtle said:
No point getting disgruntled, because none of this is confirmed. It's all a rumour.

Considering Activision's bad reputation though, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone agreed that this was true. Not defending them, just looking at it from a different perspective.
If I am proven wrong, I will apologize and bring a picture of cake.

Till then, I have unresolved rage brought on by years of aggravation from this company that I kept inside of me. I need an outlet and Activision just happens to be the perfect verbal punching bag. Actually, I have unresolved rage from the industry in its entirety. Activision just loves pitching in more than the others, publicly anyways.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
YurdleTheTurtle said:

Yeah it's all just a rumor, but probably one of those that have at least some form of truth to them. I mean I have to say I wouldn't put it past them, and even if it isn't true, I can't say that it'd improve my view of the company.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I've kept a steady answer whenever someone asks me what gender I want to play. I play women. Because if I have to look at an ass throughout the whole game it might as well be a nice one.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure nobody will care what gender the lead is so long as it's a good story and good gameplay. Saying that gamers don't want women is just... moronic, really.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Enigmers said:
When has Activision ever been supportive of anything resembling a new idea? Where exactly is the butterzone between "this idea is too radical! we hate your idea! We like what's familiar!" and "This is too similar to games we already exploited to death! Suck my lawsuit!"?
that's a good question, too bad all we have to go on is the occasional rumor from a supposedly-former (and disgruntled) employee.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
No, female leads don't sell games, but neither do male leads, it's their backstory that sells them.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
I read this on 1up, and to hell with them. Samus was the first character I really ever was into as a character, and I was a mere 12 year old lad at the time. I would love to see a GTA starring some ambitious young woman starting her own cartel, or another game like Beyond Good and Evil... character wise.

Gaming culture already has a problem with being seen as a place for boys who refuse to grow up. Lets not continue that stereotype, Activision.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I think if the female lead is overly sexualized, then yes, a male character will be a stronger choice. Look at Jade and Samus: neither are very sexualized, but both are very strong characters willing to do what needs to get done. I don't know about Tomb Raider as I've never played them, but I could see where Laura could prove me wrong since I know there has been a bit of a mainstream sexualization of her. Still, she is a strong woman who likes to kick ass more than take her shirt off, so I can see where she is a still a good lead.