Rumor: Amazon Servers Aided PSN Attack

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Amazon Servers Aided PSN Attack

An anonymous source says the recent Sony attacks were partially enabled by the use of Amazon's web services.

Sony is in the homestretch of the restore service [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It], but the questions still remain of who did it, why they did it, and how they did it. According to rumor, one of the techniques used to invade Sony's servers was by going through Amazon.

Amazon provides a service called Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) that basically allows anyone to rent cloud-based computing power. Bloomberg reports that an anonymous source "with knowledge of the matter" says that EC2 services were used to attack Sony.

The attackers used fake information to rent servers through EC2 and "launched the attack from there," Bloomberg writes. The EC2 account has since been shut down.

Law enforcement hasn't yet named Amazon as part of the investigation into the Sony attacks. Using rented servers in this manner is apparently common.

The person "with knowledge of the matter" could always be schizophrenic Fred that lives in the Pizza Shack dumpster down the street, so this information is not confirmed. You would think that Amazon's services would be easily traceable. However, if true, this is a case of a group of people taking a service meant for good and using it for evil instead, and I'm pretty sure that's never happened before.

Source: Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-13/sony-network-said-to-have-been-invaded-by-hackers-using-amazon-com-server.html]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
However, if true, this is a case of a group of people taking a service meant for good and using it for evil instead, and I'm pretty sure that's never happened before.
That's a scary precedent. I hope it doesn't catch on. I'd hate to see noble things used for bad, things like the legal system and scientific research.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Pretty sure that amazon itself wont be liable for any of the ramifications of the attack, because it wasn't them who actually took part in the attack.

I forget the law but its the same one that can't charge a van rental company because someone hired a van then ran someone down with it.

MrDarkling

Crumpled Ball of Paper
Oct 11, 2009
Interesting disguise but I just hope to god there's some way it can be traced down to the person who did it (fool's hope I know.)

I'm just getting so tired of this c**p and want the PSN to return so I can enjoy a nice weekend of Battlefield:BC2.
What I find most irritating is the hacker didn't even have a point. S/he just did it for the sake of making people's lives hell.

Give some small credit though...least my coursework is getting done faster than it normally would ;)

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
that is pretty clever and sneaky, although it is really annoying for PS3 owners, it was well done

Disclaimer: I am in no way supporting the action of the hacker/s, i am just stating that they were pretty cunning

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
DustyDrB said:
Tom Goldman said:
However, if true, this is a case of a group of people taking a service meant for good and using it for evil instead, and I'm pretty sure that's never happened before.
That's a scary precedent. I hope it doesn't catch on. I'd hate to see noble things used for bad, things like the legal system and scientific research.
I see what you did there.

On topic:

Well I wasn't really thinking they did the attack with their home PC's, since attack of that magnitude would have required some serious deal bandwidth and storage space. But if this indeed was done trough Amazon, they will be in a pickle, not just legally but also with their brand.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
... You think they left a buyers review? How many stars did they give I wonder.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
luvd1 said:
I hope they gave it five stars the service worked fantastically!

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Swifteye said:
luvd1 said:
So we just look for the review that includes, "Worked great! Was a great aid in bringing down PSN!"

It's so simple. Obviously.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
HAHA, the sarcasm dripping from that is awesome. But damn...

Also, Captcha: evishent Judgm't

Dont know why, but it seems quite fitting...

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The person "with knowledge of the matter" could always be schizophrenic Fred that lives in the Pizza Shack dumpster down the street, so this information is not confirmed.
Personally, I picture a group of extremely handsome, serious hackers in a strategically dimly lit room all typing extremely fast and saying things to each other like, "I'll whip up a quick GUI so you can infiltrate their firewall and destroy their quantum bugs."
I dunno, that's just me.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Tom Goldman said:
HAHA, the sarcasm dripping from that is awesome. But damn...

Also, Captcha: evishent Judgm't

Dont know why, but it seems quite fitting...
That captcha sounds like a drunk preacher.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Swifteye said:
luvd1 said:
True. It did seem to have worked a bloody treat. Amazon do do good stuff at reasonable prices.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
hmmm....clever. Would never of suspected that though i never knew about EC2. Let's hope no more attacks.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
that's old news... since yesterday i've been hearing about that... now that PSN, Amazon and Square Enix got hacked, what will happen next? a UNATCO anti hacking police?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
elilupe said:
Tom Goldman said:
The person "with knowledge of the matter" could always be schizophrenic Fred that lives in the Pizza Shack dumpster down the street, so this information is not confirmed.
Personally, I picture a group of extremely handsome, serious hackers in a strategically dimly lit room all typing extremely fast and saying things to each other like, "I'll whip up a quick GUI so you can infiltrate their firewall and destroy their quantum bugs."
I dunno, that's just me.
Someone has been reading Cracked.

This seems like a likely candidate. From what, admittedly little, I know about hacking, they would need some massive processing power to hack PSN like they did. Far more than even the best computer that anyone on the Escapist has. Basically, I'd say it was either this or they had a virus linking multiple private PCs together without the users knowledge to produce the same basic effect. I know there's a term for that, but it escapes me.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Bloomberg reports that an anonymous source "with knowledge of the matter" says that EC2 services were used to attack Sony.
Nice, they use the exact same line in tabloids when they are talking about what celebrities are doing.

I gotta say, this article says nothing. Anonymous people do stuff all the time, including lie. Quick lesson, there are three parts to a persuasive argument. I won't bore you with the whole lecture, but the first part is the Ethos, this is who the speaker his and his qualifications on the subject. So, mr. anonymous lacks that first part of a persuasive argument, negating the other two parts.

Why would Amazon be investigated for renting something they own out. It's not there responsibility, and they seem smart enough to put in the agreement that the rented space cannot be used for illegal activities and the renter bears all responsibilities. Also, I'm pretty sure that if they were presented with some kind of proof that their EC2 service was used for that, they would turn over the information.

GideonB said:
Well then. That explains a lot.

I don't really know what it explains though.
Haha, truth, it doesn't explain anything.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Lol, hackers in the olden days had to hack a bunch of zombie servers to set up an attack, now you can just rent them, casualisation is hitting all fronts it seems :p