Rumor: Blizzcon 2010 In Anaheim on October 22nd

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Rumor: Blizzcon 2010 In Anaheim on October 22nd

The Anaheim Convention Center's website listed Blizzcon as occurring on October 22nd and 23rd, but then the listing was promptly taken down.

First, the celebration of all things Blizzard in 2010 was going to be in wasn't [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96089-Will-BlizzCon-2010-be-in-Las-Vegas]. Now, it appears as if Blizzcon 2010 is going to be in Anaheim after all. In what is now a completely expected scenario, the Anaheim Convention Center removed the listing and there is no official word from Blizzard on where or when (or even if) Blizzcon 2010 will be occurring.

Still, all signs point to Anaheim on October 22nd. A representatice from the Convention Center told Wow.com [http://www.wow.com/2010/02/03/blizzcon-2010-tentatively-scheduled-for-late-october/] that the listing was "99.9% confirmed" despite it being taken down.

Now, on to more important matters, such as speculation into what Blizzard will be announcing at the convention. It's certainly a big year for Blizzard with Cataclysm and Starcraft II getting ready to drop and Diablo 3 on the horizon, but the company usually only holds a convention when it has something big to talk about. In '05, '07 and '09, it was a new expansion for Wow, with the only major announcement from '08 being the Wizard class in Diablo 3. If the every other year rule follows, we probably won't hear about a new expansion in 2010.

Will Blizzard finally unveil double secret "next gen MMOG" that it has been keeping under wraps? Will we learn that Wow is going all micro-transactiony with the the Pandaren as the first pay-to-play race?

Will Jay Mohr be the host again or are they going to hire someone who is actually funny?

Update: Crap. [http://www.wow.com/2010/02/04/jay-mohr-is-hosting-blizzcon-again/]

Source: Wow.com [http://www.wow.com/2010/02/03/blizzcon-2010-tentatively-scheduled-for-late-october/]

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
Random Bobcat said:
Will the hordes of weeping fanboys actually be satisified a tiny fraction when the games they covet are released?
Considering how long Blizzard had delayed Starcraft 2, and how long they'll probably delay Diablo 3, Im leaning towards no.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ah well. Again...we need some conventions in the UK. Not enough of them!

DazWolf

Jan 15, 2010
Mr.Pandah said:
Who is that guy hosting?
Doesn't matter, he wasn't really that funny, was more lowbrow humor at best.

I'm betting it will be the end of August, like it was last year.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Ah, my wife and I both went in 08 (in October, best birthday EVAR!) and 09 (in August), and I have to say that I like October much better: we go down there for 5 days, and go to Disney for two days we're not at Blizzcon. Everything just seemed much less crowded in '08 (and somewhat less pricey), probably because most school-age kids are back in school by that point, and thus less gouging of tourists going on.

Although it did get pretty cold at night in October. Of course, we were so bombed we didn't notice.

Vegas would be better I think (yeah, I think that would be legendary), but considering that the Anaheim Convention Center is like less than twenty minutes away from Irvine (where Blizz HQ is), I bet they save a ton of money staying so close to home.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I've done wot some would argue as the smart thing and just bought the event on DirecTV.
Blizzard wants WAAAAAY too much money for a con that is a day or two shorter than, say, AnimeExpo--which is occasionally held in the same convention center.

If they'd drop the price by 20 bucks, even, I'd consider it, because, while 20 bucks one way or the other isn't going to affect me personally, the principle of the thing will. $100+ dollars for two days (BlizzCon) or $65-75 for 3-4 days(AX)?

Yeah...I'll take AX, especially considering I've been into anime for 20+ years, and only played WoW for going on 5.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nemu said:
I've done wot some would argue as the smart thing and just bought the event on DirecTV.
Blizzard wants WAAAAAY too much money for a con that is a day or two shorter than, say, AnimeExpo--which is occasionally held in the same convention center.

If they'd drop the price by 20 bucks, even, I'd consider it, because, while 20 bucks one way or the other isn't going to affect me personally, the principle of the thing will. $100+ dollars for two days (BlizzCon) or $65-75 for 3-4 days(AX)?

Yeah...I'll take AX, especially considering I've been into anime for 20+ years, and only played WoW for going on 5.
Though consider this: Cons like AX have a bunch of sponsors, etc, defraying the costs, while Blizzard is the only one ponying up the dough for BlizzCon, and they've already gone on record saying that they operate it at a loss.

Plus, tickets already sell out in less than a minute anyway. If they lowered the price there'd be even more competition for the few there are :p

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
John Funk said:
Nemu said:

Though consider this: Cons like AX have a bunch of sponsors, etc, defraying the costs, while Blizzard is the only one ponying up the dough for BlizzCon, and they've already gone on record saying that they operate it at a loss.

Plus, tickets already sell out in less than a minute anyway. If they lowered the price there'd be even more competition for the few there are :p
I find it hard to believe that Blizzard is bereft of offers for sponsorship, but I get your point.

Still, the fact is, if I'm paying a thousand dollars (or more) to fly cross-country and book a hotel for a weekend, not to mention taking time off of work (which can be a pain), I prefer quantity with my quality, BlizzCon just doesn't offer that. =X

(And, okay, maybe I'm just overly picky but, again, it's no-one's fault but Blizzard's that they choose not to involve outside sponsorship--even those, like Pepsi, who they've partnered with in the past.)

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
John Funk said:
Blizzard is the only one ponying up the dough for BlizzCon, and they've already gone on record saying that they operate it at a loss.
As if the truckloads of free publicity they get from BlizzCon don't more than make up for the loss in organizational costs...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
VanBasten said:
John Funk said:
Blizzard is the only one ponying up the dough for BlizzCon, and they've already gone on record saying that they operate it at a loss.
As if the truckloads of free publicity they get from BlizzCon don't more than make up for the loss in organizational costs...
Oh, there are certainly benefits to the con that make it more than worth the "substantial financial loss," there's no doubt about that. Tons of press all to themselves, ensuring the loyalty of fans, and the Blizzard folks have a blast the entire time.

It's a loss, but it's a loss that's definitely worth it.

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
If during their question period they say "No Ret Pally Questions" Im going to consider...ah who am I kidding. I'll still play anyways.