Rumor: Call of Duty 7 Is "Black Ops," Has Dedicated Servers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Call of Duty 7 Is "Black Ops," Has Dedicated Servers

Are you ready for some completely unsubstantiated rumors? Here goes: Treyarch's unannounced, supposedly-in-Vietnam Call of Duty is reportedly titled "Black Ops" and will support dedicated servers for multiplayer.

For a game that hasn't been officially announced yet, we sure do about [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98450-Call-of-Duty-Casting-Call-Mentions-Vietnam-Operatives] Treyarch's upcoming Call of Duty 7 (or at least, we think we do). While nothing has been confirmed, the prevailing opinion is that the game will be set during the Vietnam Era - or, at the very least, the Cold War as a whole.

Now, there's some new information that has apparently come to light. I need to stress that this information is 100% unsubstantiated, having first surfaced on Tek9 [http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php?story=More-Call-of-Duty-7-Details-Revealed] that to my knowledge hasn't been found by any sites covering this). These are rumors in the truest sense of the word, and I advise everyone to take them as the furthest thing possible from Gospel Truth (TM). But, they're interesting nonetheless.

According to the supposed Tek9 report, Treyarch's Call of Duty 7 will be titled Black Ops, and while some might call it entirely too generic to be real, I'm going to point to the fact that Modern Warfare was pretty damn generic, too. Black Ops will take place over a number of years from the ending of World War II onward with a focus on Cold War settings like Cuba, South America, and - of course- Vietnam. As with Modern Warfare, several missions will let gamers play as British SAS agents, one of which "pitches you in close combat during a mission in the Iranian embassy in London during the 1980's" (almost certainly Operation Nimrod [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_embassy_siege]).

It's fairly standard stuff until you get to the end, where the report mentions that not only will Black Ops feature the popular "Zombies" mode from World at War (though presumably we can infer that they won't be Nazis this time around), but that the game will also bringing back dedicated server support for PC multiplayer.

If true - and again, there's nothing to suggest that - it would be a very interesting break from the official line for Treyarch, which has been accused of following its "big brother" studio Infinity Ward a bit too closely. If Treyarch is reinstating dedicated servers after the well-publicized debacle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95584-No-Dedicated-Servers-for-Modern-Warfare-2-PC-Fans-Freak-Out] surrounding their absence in Modern Warfare 2, what exactly does this mean? Many blamed publisher Activision for the choice to move from dedicated servers to a matchmaking service; would the industry giant really reverse its position, or does it mean that the studios have more autonomy than previously realized?

Of course, all of this is just rampant speculation. We don't know if any of this is true, and given the source it is all rather suspect. In the meantime, hope for the best but don't act surprised if this was all some guy just pulling stuff out of his rear.

(Via MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/03/29/call-of-duty-7-rumors-predict-black-ops-title-and-dedicated-servers])

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
sorry but after the rubish that IW pushed out, i couldnt give a flying hoot about a new call of duty game... the game is dead to me now

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am sure that will make people smile and happier...after what happened with the whole issue of them not been in game...

Well, lessons learned (We hope)

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Huh, I think I'll start saving money.

If it has Dedi, I'll give Treyarch some money to spite IW. Glad I never bought MW2.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
John Funk said:
It's fairly standard stuff until you get to the end, where the report mentions that not only will Black Ops feature the popular "Zombies" mode from World at War (though presumably we can infer that they won't be Nazis this time around)
Do I smell Ruski Zombies? If so, best of luck to them.

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
Its NOT fucking Call of Duty 7. Fuck people are retarded. When Call of Duty 5 does come out, people are going to be confused. Mostly just the idiots.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Undead Warfare said:
Its NOT fucking Call of Duty 7. Fuck people are retarded. When Call of Duty 5 does come out, people are going to be confused. Mostly just the idiots.
Oh, and why not? There have been six "Call Of Duty" games, and "Modern warfare" still had the Call Of Duty line in it. I'm looking at the case now, it's there.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Undead Warfare said:
It is the 7th CoD game. And there isn't an official title to call it yet.

Would you prefer Call of Duty: Probably In Vietnam But Maybe the Cold War In General?

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
I can't wait for this game to come out. I'm a die hard Call of Duty fan and have owned almost every single game of the series ever since came out( I did not buy Call of Duty 2; I bought Call of Duty 2: Big Red One). I'm a little bit apprehensive about CoD 7 being based around the Vietnam War because my grandpa sereved in that war and he lost a few friends in it. But I'm excited for the game nonetheless.

Oh and good for Treyarch to not repeat Infinity Ward's huge mistake.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
I have BC2 and MW2/COD6 and I like them both.

I will be buying COD7 on PC however because dedicated servers sounds nice and a heckuva lot less laggy.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Anything to stop people swearing at me and telling me to fuck off when I cause everyone to lag.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Treyarch? *Yawn*

I hope that Infinity Ward remake CoD2 one day, but only to improve the graphics. That's the only decent CoD game out there. Modern wars are just kind of dull, so the games pretty much follow suit. Eventually space marines will work their way into the franchise too.

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
dogstile said:
Undead Warfare said:
Oh, and why not? There have been six "Call Of Duty" games, and "Modern warfare" still had the Call Of Duty line in it. I'm looking at the case now, it's there.
Its doesn't work by how many games are out. Look at your case closer. Is there a 6 on it? What about Finest Hour? Roads to Victory? We'd be at 9 right now. But HEY thats not the case. Cause then if we did count it that way, Modern Warfare would be "Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare".

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
John Funk said:
Undead Warfare said:
It is the 7th CoD game. And there isn't an official title to call it yet.

Would you prefer Call of Duty: Probably In Vietnam But Maybe the Cold War In General?
No I wouldn't, but there are more than 7 CoD games that don't branch off from other main titles. Its already called BLACK OPS anyways.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Treyarch are bad, and many people are rightfully skeptical about their merit as a COD producer (though even Activision's efforts are bland...IT'S SUCH A DAMN BORING SERIES)

However, anything set anywhere NEAR Cuba instantly wins