Rumor: EA Will Unveil New Syndicate At Gamescom

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Few, I just logged into Steam and saw that the weekend deal included a pre-purchase of Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. A Jagged Alliance game due in 2012. At first I was worried but it looks like I needn't have. It is still a strategy game and turn based (although simultaneous like Frozen Synapse or Combat Mission). It is not a pointless FPS. Huzzah! Huzzah to the crazy Germans who slaved over this for years.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
FelixG said:
JacobShaftoe said:
Dean Sturgess said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
vansau said:
Bobbity said:
vansau said:
Other rumors state that the game is going to move the franchise away from its squad-based strategy roots and instead implement FPS action instead.
I don't want to seem negative, but if that happens, I'm going to break down and cry. :p
Yeah, you and me both.
Me third. What's next? Sabrewulf the FPS?

Why don't people get that the name also conjurs all the good things about it, and is not just a tool for levering people into buying a shitty piece of media that bears resemblance in name only.
Fourthed....

I still play syndicate wars on dosbox....
Anyone need a fifth? I need a fifth of vodka to wash that lump of coal down...
Make that a sixth.

I will miss my cannon fodder hypnotizer....
Make that seventh.
This is coming from the guy who played the syndicate series only recently.

lionheart_1

Mar 18, 2010
I really hope rumours about a Syndicate remake being an FPS are wrong. I sunk plenty of hours in the original many moons ago, since the strategy kept dragging me back in. There was something about trying to get the squad-based tactics just right so you could complete the mission. Sometimes immensely frustrating, but really rewarding. Good times.

Dustpan

Jan 25, 2011
Syndicate (PC) and Shadowrun (SNES) - two of the greatest futuristic isometric games of their era. Shadowrun already got turned into an FPS which flopped. Please please please don't do it to Syndicate.

I'd be happy if it was just revamped for Windows 7 with better graphics and the exact same game. Although, I do still play it with an emulator and it is still one of the best games of my childhood.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
An FPS wouldn't be a sequel or a remake, just a cash in on the name.

That said I really liked XCOM Interceptor (and I think I'm the only one) so maybe it could work.

All I can say is:

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Darth Sea Bass said:
I will reign down hell on EA if they've turned syndicate into an FPS!
I'm sure you and other like minded fans would do something if they turned it into XINO*.

*XINO - X-Com In Name Only. Fan Nickname for the up and coming X-Com game.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
It is a sad, sad day. RIP minigun toting laser snipe disintegrating cyborg death squad.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
I remember watching my friend play a mission where his team had to hunt down and kill some V.I.P. The target was chased into a large crowd, tightly gathered in a square, so my friend's squad just lit up the entire mass of civilians with flamethrowers. People were running around in every direction, on fire, screaming in horror.

My friend just laughed a long, manic laugh.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Usually, I'd say it'll be a massive blunder to turn Syndicate into an FPS, but I would be willing to forgive them if it got the oppressive cyberpunk feel of the game totally right.

But I won't, because Deus Ex just came out and it looks like it has all the oppressive cyberpunk feel we need on the FPS side. Give me a bunch of drugged cyborgs that brainwash large crowds of people and explode at the touch of a button, or give me death.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
A FPS Syndicate game? Ok, that's a change, yes, not necessarily a disaster. Remember when Warcraft used to be a/the RTS game, not a MMORPG?

I actually found the gameplay of Syndicate Wars (not played Syndicate) to be a bit "meh", TBH, I liked the worldbuilding and backstory much more.