Rumor: Electronic Arts Closes Visceral Montreal

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
so EA puts out this decent game made by Visceral, the first Dead Space. then EA sticks its Japanese-style rape tentacles into the franchise to give it "mass appeal" which only serves to alienate the original fans. now, they put out Dead Space 3, thoroughly ruining the "survival horror" aspect of the game to make it another microtransaction machine and generic shooter. then, as if they hadnt been shitty enough, they close the studio that could have done well if EA had just stayed the fuck out of it in the first place?

just when i think i can't hate EA any more, they pull this kinda shit. can we finally agree to a mass boycott of these assholes?

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
From what I can tell, Visceral Redwood is still going which is the studio that made Dead Space. Visceral Montreal was working on Army of Two. Since Army of Two has been completed, EA gutted the studio.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"adjustments to select development teams to align staff and skills against priority growth areas, including new technologies and mobile."
I fucking despise 'buisness' talk, I really, REALLY DO!

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Thought of this song when I read the title. Too bad, Dead Space 2 was a solid game. Dead Space 3 was not, and I am glad I only rented it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
No one should really be surprised by this. They said that DS3 had to move 5 million units to make it worth their while. I think it's a great game, but we all knew it wasn't going to move that many units, especially in a short time. Over the long term, I think it would have. I feel for the guys at Visceral. But while EA pushed way too hard on this franchise, someone within Visceral should have put up a stop sign to think about it. The budget for that game was huge. Too big even. That is why this is happening. Not because EA is evil (though no one can say they aren't dicks), and not because Visceral is a bad developer. Neither side thought long and hard about the cost/benefit of this games development. Both parties are guilty there.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
and again a game company is the victim of ?A. lets see how long bioware will last.

there are no words what ?A is. all we can hope that one day there scheme will backfire and they will be closed off for good. free these companies like maxis, bullfrog, etc. but thats wish full thinking.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Nocturnus said:
ShirowShirow said:
double snip
Tenmar said:
multi snip snip
Gearhead mk2 said:
m-m-m-monster snip
The Artificially Prolonged said:
it's the snipocalypse
Shadow-Phoenix said:
snip snop ya don't stop
SupahGamuh said:
i can feel it snippin' in the air tonight
Agente L said:
snip 8: the ocho
martyrdrebel27 said:
snip (2013 reboot)

*Ahem.

Visceral Montreal, the developer of the Army of Two series, is (was) one of Visceral's three branches, and these closures have no direct impact on, and probably aren't related to, Dead Space or Visceral's headquarters where it was made.

Glad that's cleared up.

Please make sure you read closer before jumping to conclusions.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
mattttherman3 said:
Thought of this song when I read the title. Too bad, Dead Space 2 was a solid game. Dead Space 3 was not, and I am glad I only rented it.
Dammit! Beat me to it.

But, yeh, was kinda to be expected, since EA pretty much kept saying "Yeh, either this game is gonna be a miracle or we'll shut 'em down!" Which, obviously, didn't happen, thanks to the game being overly expensive, absolutely disloyal to its audience and, frankly, got released in the middle of an industry shitstorm ... And another one. Oh, and another one.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
recruit00 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Next stop - Bioware.

Fuck you EA. FUCK YOU!
One can only hope...
Thats right man! they made two games I personally disliked so they should all lose their jobs! and then get cancer! becuse DA2 was literally the worst thing ever right? Good god gamers can be vicious.

recruit00

Sep 18, 2010
major_chaos said:
recruit00 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Next stop - Bioware.

Fuck you EA. FUCK YOU!
One can only hope...
Thats right man! they made two games I personally disliked so they should all lose their jobs! and then get cancer! becuse DA2 was literally the worst thing ever right? Good god gamers can be vicious.
No. I don't want people to be out of work. I'm not butthurt about DA2 or ME3. I just hate their games with a passion. So tropy and unimaginative and people think they are the greatest RPGs ever to come out. Umm, if this is such a good game, then why does it pull out every fantasy trope ever (DA:O). Mass Effect never interested me and Shepherd was such a tool both literarily and figuratively. And the gameplay doesn't even make up for the shit stories, either. If DA:O was 3.5e, I would have enjoyed it but alas, why use a system that works?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Adam Jensen said:
Next stop - Bioware.

Fuck you EA. FUCK YOU!
Honestly, at this point it would be a mercy killing.

That said I'm kind of glad to see Visceral being shut down. I knew there were going to be casualties to standing up to the gaming industry, and this is the price that's going to be paid. I'm guessing EA fell short of their sales goal for Dead Space 3, and that's a GOOD thing as it shows that people like me who would have bought the game but didn't due to their microtransactions gimmick seem to have had an effect.

At the end of the day EA is going to close down several studios if people have a zero tolerance policy for their antics before getting the message that it's the garbage they are pulling through the games (day1 DLC, microtransactions, etc...) that are the culprit and it doesn't matter what studio they use, any product that carries this garbage is going to see opposition.

When it comes to Bioware in paticular, they WERE a good studio, but honestly keeping them alive because of what they once were is stupid, that isn't who they are anymore. The Mass Effect 3 ending, and the refusal to change it, the debacle that was "Dragon Age 2", the train wreck that was "The Old Republic Online" probable holder for fastest AAA MMO transition to FTP ever... and this with an epic budget and a crazy amount of dev time behind it (how many years, and they still pretty much forgot the endgame...).

I never really saw Dead Space as a survival horror game to be honest, even the first one was a shooter at it's core. People mostly got onto the hype that it was going to be more horror than they ever really intended. I do not think that them making it increasingly action-centric did the damage so much as the microtransactions did.

To be frank, I do not think we will see any real, successful, horror games developed until the gaming industry grows a spine and stops caring about who they might offend with them. Basically they would need to push the "M" rating as far as the "R" rating gets pushed, and actually fight for it. The modern gaming industry is a bunch of pantywaists that tends to label PG-13 content with an "M" rating, and fears an AO rating for anything that even begins to take advantage of what an M/R rating allows. When you omit the abillity to really freak people out with the material, all that's left is being a bit creepy, and recycling jump scares.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I don't get it, they just released their new game. What about DLCs and patch support and so on? Hell, didn't Dead Space 3 - while being criticized for being too much action and too little horror - generally garner favourable reviews regardless? Why take apart their studio rather than putting them on new projects? I can't look behind the curtain, but I wasn't aware they were unprofitable or anything, isn't EA just shooting itself in the foot here?

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Oh, fuck you EA; first you killed Dead Space, and then you extra-killed it.

Granted I liked Dead Space 3, but there were a few rather glaring flaws, like the cover shooting and how the Necromorphs have gotten kind of old by now (pun very intended for those who've played the game).

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Dead Space sure never reached the amazing potential it could have been (It was a great IP in general), and sure EA destroyed the horror aspect completely, but Christ EA, talk about no mercy.

The irony: It was EA's fault it did't sell well. Oh EA! Why do you not have your own sitcom?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
viceral montreal? so thats like the entirity of viceral? they didnt seem big enough to have multiple locations