Rumor: Google Planning to Stop Forcing Google+ Integration

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
That would be nice. I mean, I do have a Google+ account because of YouTube, but it's empty and it'll remain so.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Really? It takes more than 1000 people to develop and operate a social network? What do they all do? I mean, social networks change things up a little like once every 6 months. Does that really need hundreds of people to make those decisions and write the code for them? I know they need A LOT of servers... but how many people does it really take to operate them?

Then again, knowing these large companies most of that number could well be their lawyers.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Alexander Kirby said:
Really? It takes more than 1000 people to develop and operate a social network? What do they all do? I mean, social networks change things up a little like once every 6 months. Does that really need hundreds of people to make those decisions and write the code for them? I know they need A LOT of servers... but how many people does it really take to operate them?

Then again, knowing these large companies most of that number could well be their lawyers.
Lawyers, Janitors, the guy making the coffee every morning, the guy drinking all the coffee every morning without making new one,... not just the programmers, you know?

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
All this information, however, is pretty dubious. Google has issued a statement that Gundotra's departure will have "no impact on our Google+ strategy."
This is why I despise rumour being published on news sites. Is it so hard to wait until things are confirmed? Will the rumours really generate that much traffic?

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
As long as I can go back to doing everything YouTube-related under my existing username without anything being related to G+, I'll rejoice.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Oh, please, sweet Jebus and Glob in Heaven, let it be true. I long for the day to be able to post a comment on YouTube without having to put up with the horseshit of Google+. We have suffered long enough.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Hearing people rejoice to thinking it;s dying clearly never liked the service, didn't bother to look elsewhere.
Err....I already had elsewhere. Almost every service they provide I was doing somewhere else already. Hell, the primary function of the social media was to rival Facebook, and I already have Facebook, and most of my friends use Facebook. Why would I switch to a service nobody cared about and nobody used? That's why they decided to force it, and that's why people are rejoicing. Because I doubt more than a couple hundred people would have cared if they hadn't shoved Plus integration into our other services.

PS, if you're going to parade it's apparent death then that by all means gives me free rights to do the same for something you've loved in return, wanna treat me like that and I'll do the same in return.
Even though (even) if this rumour is true (and it's not), the service isn't dying, they just won't be shoving it down our throats. That's not death, and it's not even "apparent death." Unless the part you like is that they're forcing integration on people that like it. In which case, I'm wondering what similar service you're going to find to celebrate.

epicdwarf said:
Hopefully this turns out to be true! I still remember people claiming that Facebook was the new myspace because of Google plus. Google plus just got in the way of everything. Now all Google needs to do is to start fixing youtube.
I'd settle for them ceasing the breaking process. By and large, I have no issue with YouTube as it is. Well, the stuff they've done that are superficial changes. I remember when YouTube was a reliable player, though, and that's where I have issues.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Thing is forcing someone to sign up for google+ doesnt mean those people will actually use the thing. I wonder how many dead accounts their are? lol

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I hope the de-integration rumor is true, I still have my Youtube account and various favourites/playlists, but refuse to get a G+ account that I'll never log into.

It can't be cost effective for them to have that huge set up generating no hits or click throughs.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
Thing is forcing someone to sign up for google+ doesnt mean those people will actually use the thing. I wonder how many dead accounts their are? lol
Fucking millions. That's probably the sort of realization that triggered this.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'm more or less dumbfounded at this, the desire to "comment" on Youtube videos again, you're not being stopped from doing so at this moment in time and it's already been known that the comments section on Youtube are so vole and toxic in so many places, there's even videos about Youtube comments and how they are vile and then there's this:

Really not getting what's so amazing about the YT comments section, YT in general has gotten more and more worse over the years and for some twisted reason the people here are somewhat happy to be able to "comment again"?, what are you going to comment on a video where your comment will make no difference let alone will usually end up in some form of toxic debate, complete with insults.

Sure you can try to explain to me about how you find it pleasing to be able to comment on a video on YT but really it;s never going to change how toxic and vile it is, nor is it going to change my outlook so you're better off not trying as it'll get you nowhere, not with me anyway.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
PS, if you're going to parade it's apparent death then that by all means gives me free rights to do the same for something you've loved in return, wanna treat me like that and I'll do the same in return.
Sure, as long as you've been forced to use it. I see this line of argument a lot with maths, some people love maths and yet it's socially acceptable to outwardly hate it. It's because it's compulsory. I don't care what people like in their own time and I'll probably respect their feelings about it, but you have to admit my hating G+ is not analogous to you hating something I like that you don't have to have anything to do with.

OT: I won't hold my breath, but Google, please, take a hint.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I'm generally not one to get even remotely excited about rumors but this sure put a smile on my face. Integration made G+ a bigger pox than anything like it, surpassing even facebook's carcinogenic levels of bullshit in what seemed like an overnight sprint to the finish line of the Turd-a-thon.

Here's hoping, kids.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
dont think i ever used google+ except for the ability to change my YouTube account name so i hope that sticks at least