Rumor: Harrison Ford Returning For Blade Runner Sequel

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Harrison Ford Returning For Blade Runner Sequel

30 years after the first Blade Runner hit theaters, it looks like Harrison Ford may return in the sequel.

Prometheus isn't the only return to sci-fi roots for director Ridley Scott. The man is also going to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.321967-Ridley-Scott-Signs-On-For-Blade-Runner-Sequel>helm a new movie set in the same universe as the 1982 classic <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Runner-Five-Disc-Complete-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B000UBMWG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328557888&sr=8-1>Blade Runner. Unsurprisingly, rumors are starting to fly about whether or not Harrison Ford will return as the character Rick Deckard; right now, word has it that Mr. Solo is currently in negotiations to join the film.

Twitch is reporting that Ford has "entered into early talks" to sign onto the new Blade Runner movie. Scott himself has gone on record to say that the film will be a kind of sequel, albeit one without any of the original cast; this has led a lot of people to speculate on whether or not the movie will be more a reboot for the brand. If Ford's actually a potential cast member, though, the entire project is cast in an entirely different light.

The problem with this report is that details are still few and far between. Ford may be in negotiations to reprise his role as Deckard, but there's no word on how big his role will be. For all we know - provided the story about these negotiations is true - Deckard might have a fully-fleshed out part in the movie's story, or his appearance may be little more than a cameo (like, say, a certain furry Canadian had in <a href=http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-First-Class-Digital-Blu-ray/dp/B004LWZW4C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328558312&sr=8-2>X-Men: First Class).

Even though Scott's attached to the movie and Ford's apparently in negotiations, it's not evident whether or not the film's going to make its proposed 2014 release date. I guess we'll just have to wait for an official announcement before this rumor can be confirmed or denied.

Oh, and before the forum arguing begins: <a href=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/825641.stm>Deckard's a replicant.

Source: Screen Rant

Feb 13, 2008
vansau said:
Oh, and before the forum arguing begins: <a href=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/825641.stm>Deckard's a replicant.
Is John Isidore though?

I'd like to have a single thought that this was going to be a good thing. But I don't. Perhaps the turtle just needs to be left on its back now.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
considering that Ford and Scott did NOT get along during Blade Runner's filming...I find this info to be dubious

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
Hmmm, he returned to Indiana Jones and we all know how THAT turned out (to be fair, it wasn't his fault). So now he's allegedly returning to this franchise. I guess as long as Shia Labeouf isn't in the movie, it may be good. Guess I need to actually watch the original

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I'll wait for Prometheus before finalising my opinion on whether or not Ridley Scott should revisit his old triumphs.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Oh, and before the forum arguing begins: Deckard's a replicant.
Unfortunatly Mr. Vansau, the director no longer gets to deciede these sorts of things. This has passed utterly into fan debate - as it should, and should always be. Coming right out and saying wether he is or isn't ruins some of the value for the story. The best tales always leave wiggle room.

Little classless of Scott to ruin this age old debate, and to pretend thats what he always had in mind.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
The focus when creating sequels should be on coherence, authenticity, and forging a new, original plot while retaining the spirit of the previous movie(s). After so many years it doesn't make sense to involve original cast members other than a superficial, economically motivated desire to appeal to the original fan base.

The worst thing about this is that the plot will somehow be warped in order to accomodate the aged cast, all the while draining focus, energy, and creativity from something that could have been a much better movie.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Director Ridley Scott seeks sequel to Blade Runner with Ford*

*Co-directed by George Lucas

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i guess we will see the closer we get to 2014 if this rumor is true or not. would be nice of course if can be back and since mr. scott knows how to make a good movie, im pretty sure he will not disappoint with this one, doesnt matter if we have mr. ford in it or not.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
If not for the sad lack of GOOD cyberpunk movies as of late, I would argue that a Blade Runner sequel is unnecessary, or even unwanted.

Then again...this is the sort of movie an old Harrison Ford could probably do. It's not purely action/adventure, but more psychological and tense.

vansau said:
Oh, and before the forum arguing begins: Deckard's a replicant.
It doesn't really matter to me. The way the movie goes, it's debatable either way and I rather like the ambiguity since it makes you think more about one of the core themes of the movie and the book it was based on: "What defines humanity?"

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
But since he's a replicant, wasn't he going to die soon or something? I haven't seen it for a while, so I forget.

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
I am looking forward to this. Blade Runner was a good movie, and Prometheus looks pretty good too.

Although, even ignoring the debate over whether or not Deckard was a replicant, the very idea of the repicants makes no sense. I mean, if you're going to make robots to work in hazardous environments, why build them to look human and give them human memories? Why not just build the robots based on their function, like we do today? When was the last time we saw a toaster or an assembly robot have an existential crisis?

You know, besides "Short Circuit."

Tangouser

Aug 12, 2008
Who is this movie for? People who didn't like Blade Runner certainly wont care about it, and most Blade Runner fans are screaming NO!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
This movie brings back horrible memories of Year 11 and 12 English.

DIE IN A FIRE ALREADY.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I might sound like a pretentious asshole when I say this, but I think Blade Runner is too slow-paced and too smart for the average movie-going audience these days. Either it would be a flop or a bunch of crap would have to be added in to make it more of 'a hit.' Studios already forced that stupid voice-over into the theatrical releases. People weren't able to follow what was going on without it, apparently.

This might also just stem from the fact that I love Blade Runner- and have never wanted a sequel to it. I was satisfied when it was over and didn't want to see any more of what happened. Top it all off with Harrison Ford not being the man/actor he used to be and it sounds like a really bad idea. Unless you want to see an old, cranky and tired Rick Deckard, that is.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
The fact that Scott sees Deckard a replicant[footnote]the other members of the cast and crew were divided on it, and he was most definitely human in the original novel[/footnote] would cast some doubt on the idea of Ford reprising his old role; afterall, in the director's cut, the implication was supposed to be that Deckard and Rachael knew they didn't have much time left, so they were going to make the best of it. The thing about Rachael being "special," having no pre-set expiration date, is only explicit in the theatrical and international cuts, neither of which are likely to be canon to any Scott-helmed sequels.

A bit of an aside, but Ridley Scott returning to both Alien /and/ Blade Runner? I'm not sure whether to be excited or worried in the same way I get any time George Lucas opens his mouth about one of his old franchises. James Cameron doing a new Aliens sequel, on the other hand...