Rumor: Iran Responding to Battlefield 3 with Anti-Israel Game

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Treblaine said:
To be fair, I didn't mention "Ahmadinejad(sic)". The article concerning this post did say:
Excellent pedantry, my good chap. Sure, I went out of my way to mention the way the country was being run as a blanket statement to avoid just this sort of thing, but you managed to plow right through that. Good show, chap.

And you even threw in a "(sic)," though an online search seems to indicate no problem with the actual spelling of the President's name. Well played, good sir.

To clarify:

Yes, you did not mention Ahmadinejad by name. No, I did not claim you did.

So....
You accuse me of pedantry?

I just used the (sic) thing because I was not sure about the spelling and was just going to copy yours and didn't want someone ELSE coming back at me on it. Don't take it personally.

I also seem to have misread your statement, I thought you were mocking the idea that the Iranian government might ever be involved in propaganda involving video games, when they have clearly been highly active in propaganda in all media forms. Under several re-reading I realise it makes more sense with a sarcastic tone that is obviously not inherent in pure prose, that seems to be related to using fake opinions of regimes to advertise games.

It was the "To be fair" that threw me and the lack of "[/sarc]" tags.

Sorry, there seems to be a failure of communication here, I hope you appreciate nothing mean was meant by my post. I'll go back and remove the "(sic)" part if you find it inappropriate.

To clarify: my position is that Iranian Propaganda has gone too far, well into the area of Acid-trip Japanese fan-fiction yet this seems an all too disturbingly a genuine belief on their part.

Now, I understand you were making a joke on how this "could" all be a publicity stunt for an ACTUAL Kojima game... huh?

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
Hevva said:
Rumor: Iran Responding to Battlefield 3 with Anti-Israel Game

In keeping with the calm rhetorical tone [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad_and_Israel] set by Iran's vocal leader in recent years, NCGF head Behruz Minaii told the Fars News Agency that, "The United States is governed by the Zionist Regime so Attack on Tel Aviv would make Americans angrier than a game about an attack on Washington."

Well, yeah. Modern Warfare already let the Russians invade Washington DC, what would we care if the Iranians did it?

TeacakeWeasel

Feb 18, 2010
I doubt it if this game will go for the realistic angle, because that would involve the Israeli army handing the Iranian army their arse on a plate topped with cream.

And I'm sure this game will have graphics that would put the playstation 1 to shame.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Where can I pre-order it? Oh nwm, that will put me on some terror watch list I bet.

snfonseka

Oct 13, 2010
National Computer Game Foundation? Wow.... I didn't know Iran into gaming that much....

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Official takes offense, blames Americans
>Makes counter-game that takes place in Israel

I think the world is a bit larger than this guy thinks it is. The Zionist conspiracy is a nice touch, though.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
I seriously can't wait for the majority of these people to die x.x. Stop trying to pretend that a fictional world is the reflection of reality. Stop making baseless attacks based on this fictional world. Honestly, I don't understand how these people end up in power when I struggle to get through school and maintain a job, yet it constantly feels like the vast majority of this forum has a greater ability to function logically then all of these wacko's.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I remember days when a company would hire writers and make locations and "bad guys" up. I guess those days fell away to studios not wanting to waste time with fantasy in the fantasy games.

I'm a bit disappointed. The problem for me is that the internet is roaming free with mentally challenged folk who would not be able to decipher fantasy from reality, meaning that though Iran are NOT "bad guys" in real life, the game will paint them as such.

I am American and I wouldn't mind playing a realistic game where I got to assassinate the president of a fantasy America.

Lightslei said:
I seriously can't wait for the majority of these people to die x.x. Stop trying to pretend that a fictional world is the reflection of reality. Stop making baseless attacks based on this fictional world. Honestly, I don't understand how these people end up in power when I struggle to get through school and maintain a job, yet it constantly feels like the vast majority of this forum has a greater ability to function logically then all of these wacko's.
I hate to break it to you, but I find myself in constant need to remind people that Iran is not an enemy of America directly, in real life. I don't care for whining about videogames, but to enforce an already mistaken identity of a country in the middle east is just plain wrong and bad writing. It was different in the Cold War, because Soviet Russia was our enemy. But Iran isn't actually our enemy, and if the American government is smart, it won't make another enemy or start another futile war. I went off on a tangent, but people in real life seem far too stupid to be able to separate games from reality, and I'm not talking about the Iranians either.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Lol, they are going to make an Anti-Israeli game, that is pretty priceless. I mean, this would probably give Israel a reason to have another open conflict, since they are so downtrodden and all. Antisemitism in games will no doubt be a problem for plenty of people. I just hope they do it instead of lying about it, not because I hate Jews, but then they would lose the right to complain about this, haha.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Hevva said:
"Their reaction was that it is only a game and we should take it easy, but with the game set in Tehran, it is simply not acceptable," he said.
Hey, Hevva, regarding this part, when do you think people will finally get it that if you live on this planet, you're fair game to be the bad guy?

And do they seriously think a game about about attacking Israel will make me madder than a game about attacking Washington? They've got to be stupid. Unlike the censorship board in Iran, I know that games ARE JUST GAMES.

/rant.

(Oh, and Hevaa, that wasn't aimed at you. Well, the question was, but the rest of it wasn't. Just clearing that up pre-emptively).

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
...Yeah, so... Iran? You're a punchline bristling with angry antisemites and possible nuclear armaments. This is not the way to change the world's perception of you.

...Just sayin'.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
"The United States is governed by the Zionist Regime so Attack on Tel Aviv would make Americans angrier than a game about an attack on Washington."
This line in particular made me snicker, not because of the "Zionist Conspiracy" which is pretty hilarious I'll give it that, but that he is actually so utterly naive to think that -any- American, correction, any -North- American, would actually be offended by a game in which one Middle-Eastern country beats the snot out of another when a vast majority of our citizens probably can't even name six Middle East countries without the help of Google.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
lol the funniest thing about this whole thing is that no one plays Battlefield 3 for the fricking single player. and if one did they definitely would want to have those hours back. Yes i am bitter.

Cod Campaign shits over BF3.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
I'm guessing that, if it is even made, it'll be a badly designed 2d flash shooter. I doubt a video game made by ANY government will be decent, especially Iran.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
So is it bad that when I read this I laughed? I mean...its a GAME. You don't see Russia getting all worked up about MW3. Or Germany getting worked up about any WW2 game ever. Maybe I missed the point, but if I did, can someone please point it out to me?