Rumor: Is Harry Potter Boss New Head of DC?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Hubilub said:
Poor Logan, he didn't stand a chance...

I will tell on you!
Didn't anyone tell you? I'm imaginary bomb-proof. Sorry.
Sounds like a challenge... ;D

Anyway, why should anyone care whether or not the new DC boss used to be involved in Harry Potter? Note that I'm not complaining about the news post. But if anyone turns around and says that the new DC boss shouldn't be in charge because she also was in charge at Scholastic, then they need their heads examined. Rather than being interested in the subject of her older projects, people should be concrned about how successful those projects were. For example, if the next Marvel boss or the next BBC Commissioner turns out to have previously worked on marketing for Twilight then that's fine. If I was the boss of the BBC and had to hire someone for a top spot then sure, I'd snap up people who worked on Twilight, Harry Potter, the new Doctor Who series, and even the -Movie series (Epic Movie, Date Movie, etc.), and screw the haters. Because they were all successful and widely marketed, despite the fact that only two of those things were actually any good (see if you can guess which wo of these four I mean).

Aug 25, 2009
So many people seem to have the assumption that Diney taking over arvel means that Marvel will become more like Disney, and now this, meaning what, that DC will become more like Harry Potter? Credit them with some intelligence.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
piscian said:
Considering DC comics are essentially in the toilet right now who cares. Couldn't make it worse I challenge her.
Definetly! Lets see what she can do!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
I see no real problem. Harry Potter + Batman crossovers, anyone?
To the Firebolt Robin!

OT: I don't see the problem here. The only thing shes going to be directing is the main DC universe and for the most part I don't care about anything that isn't Virtigo.

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Chasmodius said:
Yeah wait, we're going to have problems with someone who is intelligent and capable in the realm of making deals and getting publicity out to the necessary avenues for maximum exposure? Unless you have some specific information regarding her business style and management practices, I'm not going to get worked up over a tenuous association with Harry Potter, especially if that association is that she helped make the creator obscenely wealthy!
Exactly this.

Scholastic as far as I know is a competent publisher (correct me if I'm wrong). Competence at the helm of DC Comics is a new and welcome thing.

Besides which... let's see--target audience of Harry Potter and wider reading audience of Harry Potter=adolescents interested in fantasy heroes plus adults who like similar stories plus well written characters.

Target audience of comics and wider reading audience of comics--adolescents interested in superpowered heroes plus adults who like similar stories plus well written characters.

Really not seeing much of a disconnect here.

And for the record, for me personally, my concern about Disney overtaking Marvel was more that Disney is a huge megacorporation overtaking EVERYTHING these days. I've often wondered if some of the problems DC Comics has had is because it's owned by Warner Brothers, and didn't want to see Marvel having the same problems.

But I never thought we were in danger of Captain America being Mickey Mousified, any more than Superman was Bugs Bunnified.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Hubilub said:
Well, if she can get more people to read Watchmen, I shall be satisfied.

I'm still pissed of at the idiots on the row in front of me in the cinema complaining about how the film was boring. It's fucking Watchmen, not Transformers 2!
Because you are the only person in the world who deserves an opinion and everybody else is wrong and an idiot.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Asehujiko said:
Hubilub said:
Well, if she can get more people to read Watchmen, I shall be satisfied.

I'm still pissed of at the idiots on the row in front of me in the cinema complaining about how the film was boring. It's fucking Watchmen, not Transformers 2!
Because you are the only person in the world who deserves an opinion and everybody else is wrong and an idiot.
My point isn't that they are idiots because they thought it was boring, my point is that they went into the cinema expecting an action film when Watchmen is anything but.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I don't know enough about the lady in question's management style to say if she'd be good or bad at running this if she took over. Just because you run a kiddie company primarily does not mean that it's all you can do. Disney for example apparently owns a number of movie studios and labels and has made some pretty intense horror movies and such. Assuming they maintain the integrity of the label it wouldn't be any big deal, which is why I didn't panic as much as some at the news. The same could be said about the Scholastic buy out, you might fear for the fate of things like the Wildstorm labels, or some of the darker characters, but it remains to be seen if that was an issue.

That said I'd think it would be pretty awesome of somehow Disney was to buy DC as well and then unify the two major comics companies under one management. A lot of fanboys have been dreaming about something like that for years, and company crossovers have generally been popular.