Rumor: Logitech Developing UMD Drive for PSPgo

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Logitech Developing UMD Drive for PSPgo

Peripheral maker Logitech may have a solution in the works for one of the PSPgo's primary disadvantages: it doesn't play UMDs.

According to a CVG source [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=228684], Logitech may be developing a UMD drive that attaches to the PSPgo. The device should plug into the PSPgo and will likely attach to it somehow similar to the PSPregular's hard drive peripherals.

As the source says: "The only problem is that it'll make the PSP a little bulky." A small price to pay for being able to play the entire UMD library of games and movies.

The issue I see is: will Logitech actually be able to sell enough to make a profit? The PSPgo isn't exactly flying off shelves, and only a percentage of purchasers would likely support an external UMD drive. Plus, it's adding more cost onto a $250 dollar system, as I assume it'd have to cost around $50 or so.

Official pricing and release date were not announced though, with the device still only in the realm of possibility. CVG contacted Logitech UK to ask about the peripheral and were told: "We're not aware of it, so it may be something the US office is working on." A PSPgo UMD drive is a great idea, but primarily for when the PSPgo is discounted to a more realistic price.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=228684]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008

Seems like a waste of time to me. Why not just buy a PSP-3000 or whatever the version before the Go was?

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
What a silly turn of events. Can you imagine? I don't see why this should exist, people who bought a Go knew what they were getting, and I doubt many of them would shell out more cash just for this add-on.

But what do I know. Maybe they suffer heap-big buyers remorse and something like this is actually desirable. One thing's to be sure, if it's made by Logitech it'll work well.

I think this should do another round on the net...

Zamn

Apr 18, 2009
You know, they already have a bulkier version of the PSPgo that plays UMDs. It's a called a PSP.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Y'know... I never saw the point in the PSPgo, I mean it's butt-ugly, and it's essentially the same spec machine, without an UMD Drive.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm waiting for the PSPGO: White Elephant advertising campaign.

Buy the new PSPGO for $249-ninety nine, now avaialable with UMD drive upgrade package $49 ninety nine!
Also available PSP-3000 series with built in UMD capability, $150

I still don't understand who exactly is supposed to buy it, the rich stupid will never get their head round download only gaming , while the rich tech head will have bought a PSP.

chenry said:
Someone at Logitech is takin' the piss.
I think they're being very astute, anyone dumb enough to buy the go is clearly also dumb enough to buy an upgrade they could have had for $100 less in the first place, perfect target market.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
The only benefit that the PSPgo has against previous models is the fact that instead of [insert memory stick capacity here] gb you can have up to 16 + [insert memory stick capacity here] gb. Nice, but about 70 bucks more expensive, no UMD support, no replaceable battery, smaller screen, etc. Oh, and the M2 memory stick is more expensive than the Pro Duo memory stick.

Considering that the PSP3000 is still being sold and costs significantly less, it would be a better idea to buy it along with a 16 gb memory stick rather than a PSPgo along with the UMD Drive device.

The release of such a device, assuming to be true, would be mind-boggling indeed.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, it certainly would be nice, but, as mentioned...price, and its not a cheap tag...

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Yeah this is a rather stupid product. The real solution would be for Sony to start strong-arming their 3rd-party clients to release Digital versions of all their upcoming software as well as work with them to convert all their current products to Digital copy.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
This is a joke. They're doing a low balling this when the UMD movies tried and failed.