Rumor: Marvel Wants Joseph Gordon-Levitt For Doctor Strange

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
DEAR GOD NO!!!!!!! Since Iron Man all I have wanted is a Doctor Strange movie and this would not be a good move IMO. He is way to young. I know that Strange is immortal but he was in his mid-40s when he became Immortal. Plus I just don't like Levitt that much.

Jackel86 said:
I love Levitt as an actor (was very disappointed when the rumors of him playing The Riddler weren't true), but he is just a bit too young for Strange. If strange was an accomplished surgeon, he would have to be at least in his mid-30s.

I still think Liam Neeson is the obvious choice. His Rash-Al Guul (or however you spell it) already kind of looked like Strange. He would just need all the robes and to die his hair a little.
I am 100% with you there. I think Neeson would be the perfect choice for Strange.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is going to get strange (no pun intended).

Ryan Reynolds was cast as both Deadpool and Green Lantern. Gordon-Levitt has already been in TDKR. All of this is in the article, of course. Finally, you have Halle Berry as both Storm and Catwoman (though nobody could blame you for forgetting THAT, either) What weirds me out is where it foes from here. Tobey McGuire as the Martian Manhunter? Christian Bale as Iron Fist? Jim Carrey as Ghost Rider?

...Actually, given Nick Cage's version, that would probably be a lateral move.

thetoddo said:
Please no.

My dream casting would be Kevin Spacey, it'd be worth it just to see him and RDJ eventually meet up. Never mind the fact that he'd KILL in the role.
Kevin Spacey? Dear God, I think I'd rather have Adam Sandler in the role.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Spacey would be utterly fantastic as Baron Mordo, Stranges Archnemesis. And I could picture Christian Bale very easily as Strange. Strange needs someone who has a few years on him and shows a bit of wear. The whole point is he is not a young physically fit superhero. He is a little older and wiser.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Naaaaaaaaaaah. Nah. I like Levitt, especially in movies like Brick and Looper but he's not Strange. An underrated actor would play this better, I think. But what do I know, I think Jim Carrey would make a good Deadpool.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
He needs to be a lot older and have a more experienced, weather-beaten look to be believable.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
ninjaRiv said:
But what do I know, I think Jim Carrey would make a good Deadpool.
I thought Deadpool was supposed to be funny.

OT: I only vaguely know the character (I thought he was an antagonist, actually) but from the description he seems much too young. Great actor, though.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
I'd be down for that. I've enjoyed him in every role I've seen him in so far (So Inception and Dark Knight Rises). Really I just want a Dr. Strange movie.

actar411

Apr 14, 2010
You know who else wants JGL for Doctor Strange? Me! Or pretty much anyone else that's a decent actor and would make a good movie. I would say Nic Cage, but I want a Doctor Strange movie to do well not flop.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
valium said:
Nic Cage, seriously, think about.

THINK ABOUT IT.

THINK ABOUT IT HARDER.

Genius, I know. You know you want this to happen, it would be amazing on multiple levels.
Cage can't do it for the same reason that Bridges can't do it, he already IS a Marvel character (Ghost Rider)

For me, and I will probably get a lot of flack for this, but I think Mathew Perry would probably be good in the role, he is the right age, and he has demonstrated some serious acting chops in the past like on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

I was calling for a Dr. Strange movie (and a Black Panther movie) THE DAY AFTER Avengers premiered. So yeah.... you can say I might crack a smile should the project be greenlit.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I don't always cast magic...
...but when I do, I turn people into boxes.

Stay on this side of reality, my friends.

---

Seriously, though, not old enough. And he doesn't seem refined enough either. I will only settle for one person:

Cristopher Walken.
<youtube=iZLidy7pIQ8>
See? He's got all the moves down already.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Fappy said:
He's too young. I don't doubt he'd make a good Strange in ten years though :p
My thoughts exactly.
Although if they do the origin story, I can see Strange being young and rash, but I'd like him to grow up.

Maybe he could play him in the flashbacks or something?

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Jackel86 said:
I love Levitt as an actor (was very disappointed when the rumors of him playing The Riddler weren't true), but he is just a bit too young for Strange. If strange was an accomplished surgeon, he would have to be at least in his mid-30s...
Gizmo1990 said:
...He is way to young. I know that Strange is immortal but he was in his mid-40s when he became Immortal...
This is it; general consensus is they should go with somebody older.

Liam Neeson, Pierce Brosnan, Jeff Bridges, Jeremy Irons, Hugh Laurie etc. All men with a bit more of the aged gravitas the role requires.

My candidate: Ralph Fiennes - Voldemort as the Sorcerer Supreme.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I don't know. As others have pointed out, he looks too young for the role. He has the same chances of convincing me he is a genius surgeon as Denise Richards had of being a nuclear physicist.

My choice: Patrick Dempsey