Rumor: Mortal Kombat Movie Being Remade

what.twitch

Jan 15, 2010
Actually, growing up with this film as a kid, I always thought and still think that Mortal Kombat is and was the most badass martial-arts movie until I started watching a lot of Jackie Chan films. I really loved most of it (Christopher Lamber and Robin Shou being the best people in the thing, mostly) and I hope to God that if this is being remade, then they do it RIGHT!

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
People should really wait a good...oh...3 decades before they even try to remake something that was approximately ten years ago.

Too much of a good thing always goes crumbling down..

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
I'd watch it over any of the other film adaptations of fighter games like Tekken, King of Fighters and Street Fighter. I at least know that the movie will be gorey and I can have some fun watching tomatoes paste get wasted to paint up walls and floors with.

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
Oh. Holy. Jesus. "Only decent videogame movie ever made" my ass! Way to set the bar low. Remaking is bad. Remaking bad things, is worse. Let it be, let me forget that movie!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I think this paraprhased quote from the Nostalgia Critic regarding Mortal Kombat: Annihilation fits.

Nostalgia Critic said:
Does this make the FIRST Mortal Kombat movie a good movie? No. But it definately makes it a movie. This movie [Annihilation] makes the first one look like a work of art!
The first MK movie wasn't that great, video game movies are always terrible and remakes are never good. So what've you got here? I'unno, I call it a crap sandwich.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
THAT was a good game movie?
Once again, I don't have a problem with people appreciating bad movies (I like Mystery Men) but don't try and tell people it was good.

It really wasn't very good. Though that depended on how high you were at the time. Why don't they just make a new movie.
I just don't get the whole "let's remake a 15 year old movie" thing. They probably wont be able to get a big enough budget to make it look much better either.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
It was a good film (NUT PUNCH!) because it was aware of its origins. I am all up for a new one, but it cannot hope to beat the epic opening scene.

And to all doubters. MK Deception was the best of the series. For 2 reasons. Noob and Smoke.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Man, if there's a song more "pump up worthy" than the MK theme I don't know what it is. That song is a damn classic.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The first original didn't take itself seriously, they had fun with it. It wasn't the best movie made, but it has camp value. Perhaps if they remade it it wont be so bad, technically its not a video game anymore so maybe the curse has no power over it?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I wasn't so much a 'good' movie as an 'alrightish' one. At best, a guilty pleasure for some people.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Macksheath said:
You should get a prize for making me laugh with that picture. Seriously.

I quite liked the MK film. At least it never really took itself seriously like Street Fighter.
Better still, it never took any liberties with the source material. I mean look at, well hang on...

Doug said:
I wasn't so much a 'good' movie as an 'alrightish' one. At best, a guilty pleasure for some people.
I think it speaks volumes that a great videogame movie is one that actually doesn't take the piss with the source material, as I said above.

Look at Street Fighter. Ryu and Ken are escaped convicts who work for M.Bison, Dhalsim is a scientist with a British accent and Guile was the protagonist? The only redeeming factor of that entire film was Raul Julia's incredible performance.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008

I'm so psyched about the film I had to watch this embarrassing video to stop the dribbling.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Wow we're on the second page already and noone goes "MOORTAALL KOMBAAT!!" i am disapointed. I still pop the first movie in the dvd player from time to time and it still makes me chuckle, a remake of i tthough with how safe studios want to play everything will mean this will lose it's epic level cheesiness. And that makes me sad.