Rumor: New nintendo console codenamed 'Project Cafe', will feature touchscreen controller

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298348/news/wii-2-is-project-caf-says-report-tech-specs-controller-details-claimed/

A touchscreen as a controller? If this rumor is true, I wonder how that will work out.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Saucycardog said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298348/news/wii-2-is-project-caf-says-report-tech-specs-controller-details-claimed/

A touchscreen as a controller? If this rumor is true, I wonder how that will work out.
Just what Nintendo needed, another gimmicky system.

Fucking sellouts

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Saviordd1 said:
Saucycardog said:

Fucking sellouts
Nintendo already uses touchscreens. The DS.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Saviordd1 said:
Saucycardog said:

Fucking sellouts
Gaming = business

Business = making money

Kindly go learn how the world works.

OT: Sounds interesting. Only time will tell if it'll work, mind.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Saviordd1 said:
Saucycardog said:

Fucking sellouts
So you're attacking them over an unconfirmed rumor? How about you wait until you have all the information before you start burning witches. This is just a rumor at this point. I'm not even convinced this system is really happening, at least until it is officially announced by the company themselves.

Dark Harbinger

Apr 8, 2011
Bah, another era of party and platform that hasn't changed since the 80s, I personally wonder when Nintendo are going to get tired of milking cash from 12 year olds and decide to make a proper console like the N64 with some decent hardcore games. I know Nintendo is perfectly capable of doing so, or at least they would have a massively expanded market if they developed a console that was suitabley priced for your families and casual gamers but had the capabilities to satisfy with more powerful games and their respective fans. Lot of untapped potential in that corner for Nintendo. Not to mention more steaming piles of fresh gold mountains.

Padraig Lalor

Apr 17, 2011
Saucycardog said:

A touchscreen as a controller? If this rumor is true, I wonder how that will work out.[/quote
Saviordd1 said:
Saucycardog said:

Fucking sellouts
wow guys investigate before criticising that website is making stuff up this is the actual website about that has the tech specs
http://www.01net.com/editorial/531680/project-cafe-ce-qui-reste-a-eclaircir-a-propos-de-la-wii-2/
http://www.01net.com/editorial/531660/project-cafe-la-wii-2-de-nintendo-aura-une-tablette-pour-manette/

these are the likely to happen rumors

- Codenamed "Project Café", final name unknown (CVG)
- Formal announcement E3 2011 or before, with a targeted release in late 2012 (CVG)
- Developers such as Ubisoft, Activision, and EA have had the devkit for months (EDGE)
- Controller has 6-inch touch screen, front-facing camera, D-Pad, two bumpers, two triggers and "possibly more," functions as a Wii sensor bar (CVG)
- Conflicting reports on the controller screen resolution, some say it's HD, others say sub-HD (CVG and VG247)
- Controller allows streaming of full games to the device from the console "like a mini TV" (Jim Reilly's Twitter)
- Superior motion controls, better than Move (EDGE)
- First and third party Project Café games to be shown at E3. Not confirmed if there's any playable games (Jim Reilly's Twitter)
- Supports high definition resolution (Game Informer)
- On par with or more powerful than Xbox 360 and PS3 (CVG)
- Custom IBM Tri-core PowerPC CPU, ATI R700 family GPU shader version 4.1, at least 512Mb of RAM (CVG)
- Backwards compatible with both Wii and Gamecube games, along with all peripherals for said systems (CVG)
- Possibly uses Blu-ray discs as the primary media for games (VG247)
- An older comment by Satoru Iwata hints at possibly adding 3D support for future consoles, but not yet rumored by any sources for Project Café (EDGE)

and this is a concept of the controller

http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/116/1162204/how-could-the-wii-2-controller-work-20110415053115064-000.jpg

bloody trolls

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I don't get the advantage of a controller with a screen. I'll already have a bigger and better screen to use right in front of me with my TV. I'm not trying to tear this down, I just really want to know what potential uses they're thinking they can get out of it.

It just sounds like its going to be a bulky $100 controller, and I'd have to be a sucker to buy that.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
DustyDrB said:
I don't get the advantage of a controller with a screen. I'll already have a bigger and better screen to use right in front of me with my TV. I'm not trying to tear this down, I just really want to know what potential uses they're thinking they can get out of it.

It just sounds like its going to be a bulky $100 controller, and I'd have to be a sucker to buy that.
Same here. They say more features and I hear "more money to buy a second controller." I'm already pissed about paying 50$ for new controllers now. I refuse to shell out more to accommodate a screen I will never use.

ilspooner

Apr 13, 2010
Sounds intrestive, but I don't think a touch screen as a controller would work terribly well. Those touch screens can wear down pretty quick.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Destructoid's take on the controller:

Destructoid said:
Rumors of a new HD Nintendo console are all over the 'net, with particular attention being paid to the rumored controller that this system will sport. Many fan mock-ups are already circulating following speculation that the controller will sport its own touch-screen.

Not to be outdone, Destructoid has produced its own mock-up of the Project Cafe/Wii 2/Nintendo HD console controller. We've taken into account the rumored specifications and added a few extra features that we believe the hardware will sport. Here's a list of features, as numbered in the above diagram:

1. D-Pad
2. Twin analog sticks
3. Face buttons
4. Interactive touch-screen
5. Home button
6. Red "Go Faster" stripes
7. Wicked cool smiley face
8. Built-in NES emulator (only plays Milon's Secret Castle and World 1-1 of Super Mario Bros.)
9. Teh Ganondorf
Oh, Jim Sterling. You cantankerous lovable bastard.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
DustyDrB said:

Same here. They say more features and I hear "more money to buy a second controller." I'm already pissed about paying 50$ for new controllers now. I refuse to shell out more to accommodate a screen I will never use.
Yeah the price of the controllers are probably going to be a ***** but if done correctly with a touch screen quick inventory access on that screen can be a god send when in an insane battle. For some reason I think that Nintendo planned the Ocarina of Time remake with Cafe in mind. if the rumors prove to be true

Padraig Lalor

Apr 17, 2011
radioactive lemur said:
What the hell do you need a controller screen for when you have a freaking TV in front of you?
eh apprently u can stream games to it instead of the tv which would be cool, also think of games like cod where when u call in a spy plane the spy planes view comes up on the controller, or u place a sentry camera and the view pops up on that, in the zelda games i can see millions of uses same as the mario games,

its innovative and people need to push the boundary or else well be stuck with the same stuff, so what if it doesn work out at least their trying and gaming will be better for it

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
radioactive lemur said:
What the hell do you need a controller screen for when you have a freaking TV in front of you?
maybe for stuff like the inventory screen (the DC also had a controller screen that displayed stuff like health and ammo.)

Frasman

Aug 4, 2010
radioactive lemur said:
Works wonders for local multiplayer sports games. The Dreamcast had it with the VMU and it worked great. You could choose what plays to make without your opponents knowledge.

It would also work with Pokemon or any local multiplayer stratagy game.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Zekksta said:
henritje said:
radioactive lemur said:
maybe for stuff like the inventory screen (the DC also had a controller screen that displayed stuff like health and ammo.)
That... would actually interest me greatly.

Especially if you could set it to show the map.
you could also take it out of the controller and load minigames on it (like Chao,s from SA) and could even be used to transfer files from one another! It was called a VMU(Visual Memory Unit).