Rumor: Next Call of Duty Details Leak, to Be Set in the Future

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
008Zulu said:
How can there be anymore bad guys in the future, weren't all the non-white people killed off in the previous games?
Obviously the protagonists will be fighting white terrorists... that have blacked up.

Get ready for...

CALL OF DUTY: MINSTREL WARFARE

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Dragonlayer said:
008Zulu said:
How can there be anymore bad guys in the future, weren't all the non-white people killed off in the previous games?
There's always the wrong kind of white, i.e. not Anglo-Saxon....

Actually, wouldn't it be cool if the Russo-American War in the earlier Modern Warfare games caused such a huge backlash in the Western world that the US is the new enemy? Or starts another civil war? After all, it was an American who basically caused the conflict in the storyline, albeit acting on his own initiative.
'murica will have to invade Scotland and show those celts what for.

OT: Ghosts was fucking terrible and they should feel bad about it, even if it is a different studio.

I'm also already burnt out on future shooters somehow.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I was really hoping that "The Future" involved laser guns...

Connected to the Modern Warfare storyline, huh? Okay. Can't be as bad as Ghosts. I'm interested to see what the story will be and how it connects to MW if that turns out to be true.

Hey, Treyarch. Make sure your game involves lasers. And spaceships. Please. You guys are the ones that are known for trying out the weird things and just running with them.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
So with three years of contracting sales under their belt, Activision has decided to pull out the big guns.

All hail Cyborg Pirate Ninja Captain Price!

This is the only reason I can think of for bringing back the 'Modern Warfare' part of Call of Duty, Activision have officially gone into flail mode and are gearing up to cram every popular thing they can think of from previous CoD's into the next one to try and drive sales, starting with the mustachioed one.

Assuming it's true.

As for Battlefield, I'd love to see a Battlefield set across multiple time zones, with maps able to be populated by WW2, Vietnam, BF2 era and 2142 era armies. If they were to bin the single player and the increasingly facile customisation there would be plenty of scope for it. Two armies per era, about 16 primary weapons for each era that actually have worthwhile differences(64 primary weapons across all eras vs 74 primaries in BF4), add a small spread of vehicles and we're away.

Of course EA would never be so brave.
That would be ludicrously fun...

Balance it out with amount of units available for each army, so for every 3 or 4 WWII soldier, you would have one 2142 unit or something.
Fighting mechs with Sherman tanks =D

Oh noes, modern attack helicopters over the ridge? GET TO DA FLAKKAMPFPANZERGESCHUTZWAGENVIERLING !

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Exocet said:
That would be ludicrously fun...

Balance it out with amount of units available for each army, so for every 3 or 4 WWII soldier, you would have one 2142 unit or something.
Fighting mechs with Sherman tanks =D

Oh noes, modern attack helicopters over the ridge? GET TO DA FLAKKAMPFPANZERGESCHUTZWAGENVIERLING !
I was thinking the maps playing out with specific time zones per round (so a round on Caspian with 2142 armies, then a round on Wake with 1942 armies etc).

But you are so right, bombing around in a Tiger and coming face to face with a Mech would be amazing, but even more beyond EA's tiny mind.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Dragonlayer said:
Goddamnit, I was hoping for WW2....still waiting on that big budget Axis perspective game people.
That would actually be a great sounding game and it would definitely offer the player some reflection time.

OT: Well, you know CoD's been toppled when CoD is copying the CoD clones.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Future warfare was already the 'modern military shooter' before MMSs were big. Don't we remember 2002-2009 when Halo rip-offs were incredibly common?

But being 'in the future' is nothing new to the franchise.

Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops II and Ghosts were all technically 'in the future'.

Maybe he's right, maybe he's not. I wouldn't like the idea of an MW4, though. Please, let that disaster be laid to rest like the developers tried to.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
Dragonlayer said:
COD3 has a special place in my heart for it's insanely brutal Veteran mode difficulty and the close-quarters QTE fights; frigging loved going hand to hand like that, even if it always seemed to ignore the fact that your comrades were literally one door away with nothing stopping them coming in to help.
I have a tendency to criticize CoD3 for humor's sake more than anything. It's pretty much held as the worst of the older games and deservedly so when compared to the first two, and I enjoy playing on that, but I at least think its singleplayer mode was enjoyable. To me, though, Treyarch really didn't show that they were a good developer for the series until World at War, even if it was just a WWII reskin of CoD4, and even then they ruined it with Black Ops. Still, given that IW has fallen so far since the mass exodus of its talent and Sledgehammer doesn't really seem too competent either after they had to help IW on MW3, Treyarch does come across as the better developer in the series right now, which just feels really odd to me.
I can agree with that: 3 didn't have any of the pomp and ceremony of the first two games but was enjoyable enough (to be fair, it's hard to top the original's opening Stalingrad mission for sheer heart-pounding awesomeness, even today). I've never really paid that much attention to *who* develops the game but World at War is my favourite of the entire franchise for it's harsh portrayal of WW2, a feat I'm yet to see any other game achieve. Plus it's one of maybe two games in existence that have a playable Pacific campaign with ground forces. While I doubt Sledgehammer will be able to make an excellent COD rather then just another playable installment, I'll retain some optimism - BLOPs 2 pleasantly surprised me after all.

I know Sledgehammer didn't make BLOPs 2, I just mean that the series has proven to me at least that it is worthy of some attention.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
The White Hunter said:
Dragonlayer said:
008Zulu said:

Actually, wouldn't it be cool if the Russo-American War in the earlier Modern Warfare games caused such a huge backlash in the Western world that the US is the new enemy? Or starts another civil war? After all, it was an American who basically caused the conflict in the storyline, albeit acting on his own initiative.

OT: Ghosts was fucking terrible and they should feel bad about it, even if it is a different studio.

During the early teasers for Ghosts I thought the enemy would be the European Union: I wouldn't mind seeing the world-shattering violence unleashed by a war of annihilation between a desperate America and a syrupy Belgium.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
TerribleAssassin said:
Dragonlayer said:
Goddamnit, I was hoping for WW2....still waiting on that big budget Axis perspective game people.
That would actually be a great sounding game and it would definitely offer the player some reflection time.

OT: Well, you know CoD's been toppled when CoD is copying the CoD clones.
Just get Spec Ops: The Line and set it from the perspective of a Heer unit on the Eastern Front: instant game of the year!

That would never ever ever be released, because the amount of "HORFENSIEVE!!!!" bitching that would occur from the slightest hint of a WW2 game with sympathies for the ordinary soldiers of the Axis nations would be all-consuming.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Dragonlayer said:
MysticSlayer said:
Dragonlayer said:
COD3 has a special place in my heart for it's insanely brutal Veteran mode difficulty and the close-quarters QTE fights; frigging loved going hand to hand like that, even if it always seemed to ignore the fact that your comrades were literally one door away with nothing stopping them coming in to help.
I have a tendency to criticize CoD3 for humor's sake more than anything. It's pretty much held as the worst of the older games and deservedly so when compared to the first two, and I enjoy playing on that, but I at least think its singleplayer mode was enjoyable. To me, though, Treyarch really didn't show that they were a good developer for the series until World at War, even if it was just a WWII reskin of CoD4, and even then they ruined it with Black Ops. Still, given that IW has fallen so far since the mass exodus of its talent and Sledgehammer doesn't really seem too competent either after they had to help IW on MW3, Treyarch does come across as the better developer in the series right now, which just feels really odd to me.
I can agree with that: 3 didn't have any of the pomp and ceremony of the first two games but was enjoyable enough (to be fair, it's hard to top the original's opening Stalingrad mission for sheer heart-pounding awesomeness, even today). I've never really paid that much attention to *who* develops the game but World at War is my favourite of the entire franchise for it's harsh portrayal of WW2, a feat I'm yet to see any other game achieve. Plus it's one of maybe two games in existence that have a playable Pacific campaign with ground forces. While I doubt Sledgehammer will be able to make an excellent COD rather then just another playable installment, I'll retain some optimism - BLOPs 2 pleasantly surprised me after all.

I know Sledgehammer didn't make BLOPs 2, I just mean that the series has proven to me at least that it is worthy of some attention.
I'm always at least semi-interested in every new game from the series. Still, I find it helps to be more interested in one of the studios rather than all them, as I've been with the franchise to the point where I have started feeling that the lack of originality--and progressively worse design (at least in IW's case)--has begun to wear me down. Limiting my interests and options tends to give me a chance to have a break from the series for a year or two, and that helps make it fresh again. Sure, I doubt I'll ever match the number of hours I put into CoD, CoD4, and World at War, but it can certainly help me salvage enjoyment from the series, especially since those other three games are all but completely dead by now.

Of course, I'll still keep an eye on Sledgehammer and see if they can offer something new to the series. Being less dedicated to any design decisions than IW or Treyarch are may help. I'm just keeping my expectations low so I don't get disappointed.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I know it's already been said, but a full half of BLOPs 2 was in "the future" and so was Ghosts, but in a post-apoctolpytic future where the mexicans have invaded.

At this point, they might as well just make a game where the Nazis won the War and the future is both bad and full of nazis. Or full of Soviets. I'm sure THAT'S never been done before, EVER.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Dragonlayer said:
The White Hunter said:
Dragonlayer said:
008Zulu said:

During the early teasers for Ghosts I thought the enemy would be the European Union: I wouldn't mind seeing the world-shattering violence unleashed by a war of annihilation between a desperate America and a syrupy Belgium.
I'm totally on board if we get to play as the Belgians and somebody irish says the line "Bruge is a fucking shit hole"

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
The White Hunter said:
Dragonlayer said:
The White Hunter said:
Dragonlayer said:
008Zulu said:

I'm totally on board if we get to play as the Belgians and somebody irish says the line "Bruge is a fucking shit hole"
I know that's a reference to a movie I haven't seen, but I can't quite remember the name....something to do with hitmen!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Dragonlayer said:
The White Hunter said:
Dragonlayer said:
The White Hunter said:
Dragonlayer said:
008Zulu said:

I know that's a reference to a movie I haven't seen, but I can't quite remember the name....something to do with hitmen!
In Bruges, you should see it if you can it's excellent. Particularly if you have a dark sense of humour.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Dragonlayer said:
Just get Spec Ops: The Line and set it from the perspective of a Heer unit on the Eastern Front: instant game of the year!

That would never ever ever be released, because the amount of "HORFENSIEVE!!!!" bitching that would occur from the slightest hint of a WW2 game with sympathies for the ordinary soldiers of the Axis nations would be all-consuming.
It'd be like 6 Days in Fallujah, except a whole lot worse and a whole lot more "Video Games teach our children to be Derek Vinyard"