Rumor: Next-Gen Xbox Will Cost $300-$500, Be Always-Online

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Odds of me buying ANY console is less than 10%.

If that 10 percent happened, PS4 always had an advantage in my mind. Maybe 51 vs 49. But now... If those rumors are true, odds of buying a next gen Xbox is about 1.0E-564864413544684684564564. Not gonna happen.

I might actually buy a PS4 just to inflate Sony's sale to stick it to MS.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Like it or hate it, it looks like always online is here to stay. The fiasco surrounding D3 wasn't enough to stop people doing the exact same thing with SimCity, and i'm sure SimCity will be long forgotten by the time this console comes out. It will still sell a million billion units. The Xbox 360 has been the top selling console in NA for like two straight years. They would not be doing this if they didn't think it would turn a profit, and the fact is that they do. Some people have mentioned steam - yes, steam does have an offline mode, but it is woefully inadequate. I was without internet for several weeks when I was moving house, and I was simply shocked at the amount of games I couldn't play. A retail copy of Bioshock: Infinite would not even install on my PC without an internet connection.

Basically, PC gamers have essentially had 'always-online' machines for years now. All of you saying 'whelp, time to go build a PC' in the hopes of avoiding 'always-online' are kidding yourselves. I won't be surprised if all PC games require an internet connection in the near future.

TL;DR - Microsoft is the future, it just may have arrived a little early. Five years from now, 'always-online' will be like 'digital downloads' - something we never expected to take off but given the advances of internet technology and availability have become the norm.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
CriticKitten said:
You know, all the rumors are starting to get tiring. This is, what, the third? Fourth?

At this point I just want to know if it's true or not, so I can save my money if it is indeed true. And it bothers me that Microsoft hasn't come out yet and denied any of these rumors, because that only lends more credibility to them.
Microsoft is likely the one putting out the rumors. They want you to get used to the idea of Always Online before they officially announce it.

Meg Galuardi

Jan 30, 2011
Between Sony's DRM, Microsoft's always online, and the Wii U's useless and obnoxious controller, I guess I just won't be buying any next-gen consoles.

Edit: Also, as a broke college student who can barely afford used games for the consoles I already own, forcing me to shell out that kind of money is a no deal. Also, my dorm room isn't big enough for a kinect, I would never be able to use it, so I shouldn't have to pay for it.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
You know.. being forced to have a kinect with every new xbox... this sounds like some awfull batman villain plot to somehow take control over the world utilizing some secret device build into the kinect XD

Still wondering if the Riddler or the Joker would come up with that first...

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
You know, I wonder how Microsoft will respond if this 'Stingray' X360 outsells the X720...

In any case - yeah. If they go down this road, I'm not following. Which is fine, since I was planning to go PC sooner or later anyway.

When will producers realise that they need to give their consumers options, not take those options away?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
You'd think Microsoft would be quick to dismiss these claims considering the bad press it's garnering... you know, unless they turn out to be true.

If that's the case then Microsoft might as well preemptively cut their Xbox division and save the lost capital, because their fucked this gen.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
If Microsoft doesn't release the facts about their next console soon, they'll already have lost next gen before it has even started. They really need to do away with those rumors.

However, if their next console really contains BS like always online, ads and a 24/7 spycam in your living room, it doesn't make a difference anyways.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I start to think this console might actually tank. Like, tank spectacularly. We all know that whatever Sony cooks up will at least sell decently in the Japan if nothing else, but this thing? How many groups of people can you possibly antagonize at once? xD

I hope people will vote with their wallet. I'm already kinda done with dedicated videogame consoles as is, and this only makes it more clear to me that it's the right decision.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Expensive and restrictive. Thanks Microsoft for making the choice easy for me which console i should buy next generation. ^-^

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TwistedEllipses said:
Rumours are rumours, but at the moment saying it might use babies as power is pretty much the way for it to sound more like a step in the wrong direction...

...I mean, why have nearly all the recent consoles failed to be backwards compatible? Is it on purpose?
BC has mainly been an issue because the console is more advanced and the tech put in place for BC to work glitches out a lot. That's why the PS3 took out the PS2 BC, it didn't work well and had terrible frame rate. The PS4 won't have it because they are using an entirely different system for the games that hasn't been used before. Sucks, but at least the Wii U has BC for Wii games.

OT: These rumors are disheartening to be sure, but I doubt most of them are true. Mainly because I don't think Microsoft wants to tank Neo Geo style. If these are true then Microsoft will be out of the console race for sure as the recovery for this would cost too much.
Karadalis said:
You know.. being forced to have a kinect with every new xbox... this sounds like some awfull batman villain plot to somehow take control over the world utilizing some secret device build into the kinect XD

Still wondering if the Riddler or the Joker would come up with that first...
This sounds more like Joker insanity. If it were the Riddler then he'd make all the achievements question mark trophies and force you to answer riddles in order to play your games.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I probably won't get one. I have an Xbox 360 which I use exclusively for single-player games and a PC for multi-player.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Not buying it. I prefer to have a choice as to whether or not I'm online, I don't want to have it forced on me.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Fasckira said:
Not phased by the always online requirement; I live in a 1st world country with a reliable always-on internet connection. I'm also not prone to acting like a whiney *****. Roll on the next gen!
So do I, but as a military member I have to go elsewhere and usually I don't get that stable internet so that you'll continue to have first world problems. So I would want games that don't require and always on connection.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Wait, hang on. They seriously thought of making games console that didn't play games but had all the other shit the 360 has instead?

Apr 5, 2008
They should include a secret service dude, you know the kind; dark suit, dark aviators, curly-wire ear piece, chewing gum, with each console. If anyone dares try a friends game, modding, playing something second hand, using it *gasp* offline, then he can shoot them. It's the best form of DRM.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008

I really hope these rumors are just rumors. The xbox hasn't managed to sell itself to me in any of it's incarnations yet. And this has only distanced me further along with that bum wipes tweets earlier last week.

Predictable response though it might be, I'm staying with my PC.

Maybe this is some kind of conspiracy within Microsoft to keep us using windows. :O