Rumor: Next Xbox Gives Publishers Control Over Always-Online Features

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
So...nothing different from before? Because that's what I'm getting from this. The game publishers already had the say as to whether or not their game was always-on or not. This would just be making that fact public. Seriously, why is this part the bad thing? I honestly dislike Microsoft greatly, but I can't see the bad side in this, besides the public now knowing what was already a looming threat.

And as for the social part, why do people care this much if an option is there that you don't have to take? It boggles the mind as to why people care this much about some arbitrary function that they can ignore.

I think the 720 will be shit from lack of any actually decent exclusives, not because it decided to be "social."

It's late though, and I am a wee bit cranky, maybe I'll be more willing to listen to nonsense in the morning.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
I don't buy it only because I don't think a company as big as Microsoft would make this bad of a business decision. If the Nextbox has always online DRM (whether they want to blame publishers or not) I will simply take my business elsewhere.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
redmoretrout said:
I don't buy it only because I don't think a company as big as Microsoft would make this bad of a business decision.
The Prosecution would like present Exhibits A and B; Windows Vista and Windows 8 respectively.

All legends spring from some nugget of truth. I expect Sony pulling crap like this, but with Microsoft.. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
So...nothing different from before? Because that's what I'm getting from this. The game publishers already had the say as to whether or not their game was always-on or not. This would just be making that fact public. Seriously, why is this part the bad thing? I honestly dislike Microsoft greatly, but I can't see the bad side in this, besides the public now knowing what was already a looming threat.

And as for the social part, why do people care this much if an option is there that you don't have to take? It boggles the mind as to why people care this much about some arbitrary function that they can ignore.

I think the 720 will be shit from lack of any actually decent exclusives, not because it decided to be "social."

It's late though, and I am a wee bit cranky, maybe I'll be more willing to listen to nonsense in the morning.
On PS3 every disk game just works offline. Same thing with PS4 as far as we know. So, yeah.
Arbitrary functions are annoying. For example SingStar icon on PS3. Not a big deal? But I've started to play on it much less and buying less PS3 games now. Because shitstar icon pisses me off every time I see it.
But yeah, no decent exclusives plus some games are always online while on PS4 they are not. If rumors are true only an actual idiot would buy new xbox.

That said, there are more dumb people than you might think.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
klaynexas3 said:

On PS3 every disk game just works offline. Same thing with PS4 as far as we know. So, yeah.
Arbitrary functions are annoying. For example SingStar icon on PS3. Not a big deal? But I've started to play on it much less and buying less PS3 games now. Because shitstar icon pisses me off every time I see it.
But yeah, no decent exclusives plus some games are always online while on PS4 they are not. If rumors are true only an actual idiot would buy new xbox.

That said, there are more dumb people than you might think.
Maybe I don't know enough about how consoles work, but couldn't a publisher in this generation have made their games always-on had they wanted to? Because it seems like that would be the case, but maybe the technology isn't there on the current consoles for that type of annoyance yet.

And I don't know what this SingStar icon is. I've never seen it while playing my PS3. For the most part, all the news and social crap just seemed to be in the small upper right corner of the screen, and even then it went away when I started a game, and only came on to tell me that one of my friends was on. Maybe I've just become too accustomed to tuning the annoyances out on whatever platform I happen to be playing on.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
So the speculation is that the next Xbox will allow developers to have the choice of whether their game requires always on DRM to play or not, so some games will be completely offline, some will require authentication codes, some will have always on DRM.

Hold on a minute, Isn't that exactly what we have nowadays, on computers at the very least, I don't know of any console games that require always online DRM but Ubisoft must have made a few?

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
I really hope the DRM thing is all just an awful rumour. But they haven't done a thing to deny any of it, which really worries me. Oh well, me and pretty much all my friends are of the opinion that we'll get whichever new console doesn't come loaded with all kinds of bullshit. So far, there's nothing about the PS4 I really object to. Yeah, the share functions are pretty poultry compared to the tech and software lets-players are already using, but at least it doesn't look like it'll get in the way of the enjoyment.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
Maybe I don't know enough about how consoles work, but couldn't a publisher in this generation have made their games always-on had they wanted to? Because it seems like that would be the case, but maybe the technology isn't there on the current consoles for that type of annoyance yet.
In case of blu-ray release for PS3 - no, they can not.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Strazdas said:
SageRuffin said:
The more stuff that brews up, the more appealing PC gaming becomes.

Not knocking it, mind you (I'm on the fence to buy MDK2 now or later). I just never thought about committing until recently.
You should, we at the gloriuos PC master race welcome our new members with the shower of console peasants blood.
Please mind your words. Jokes or otherwise, reading stuff like this sets my teeth on edge. Not to mention all it does is reinforce stereotypes.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SageRuffin said:
Strazdas said:
SageRuffin said:
The more stuff that brews up, the more appealing PC gaming becomes.

Not knocking it, mind you (I'm on the fence to buy MDK2 now or later). I just never thought about committing until recently.
You should, we at the gloriuos PC master race welcome our new members with the shower of console peasants blood.
Please mind your words. Jokes or otherwise, reading stuff like this sets my teeth on edge. Not to mention all it does is reinforce stereotypes.
It was meant as a joke, i guess it didnt work :(