Rumor: NFL Blitz Getting Remake Similar to NBA Jam

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: NFL Blitz Getting Remake Similar to NBA Jam

NBA Jam recently made a reappearance that looked back to its arcade roots, and rumors are circulating that NFL Blitz is up next.

In the mid 1990s, extreme versions of sports games like its politicians [http://www.amazon.com/NBA-Jam-Xbox/dp/B0047OK31Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290375456&sr=8-1]. According to rumors, the same treatment is in store for NFL Blitz.

An "industry insider" told Giant Bomb this month that a reboot of the extreme football franchise was also in the works at EA. The insider said that EA Tiburon, the current home of NFL Blitz creator Mark Turmell, was taking on the game's development duties.

Any potential NFL Blitz project is still in the very early stages if the insider can be believed, but it will reportedly be released on multiple consoles in 2012. There apparently won't be any of the business that occured with NBA Jam where it quizzically was released on the Xbox 360 and PS3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97382-NBA-Jam-Remake-Confirmed-for-Wii] due to various circumstances.

The original NFL Blitz turned football into a high-scoring 7-on-7 game where late hits were not only allowed, but expected and incredibly enjoyable. It successfully implemented the basic strategy behind the game of football, forcing players to use smart offensive and defensive plays, but also added an extreme element and a fast-pace that made it a great arcade multiplayer game. There have been many Blitz titles released since the original in 1997, but in my opinion they took away the game's fun simplicity. If this rumor ends up coming to fruition, and it seems likely, we should all look forward to once again tackling friends with a German suplex, and then unnecessarily delivering a leg-drop just for kicks. Violence is fun.

Source: Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/news/rumor-ea-sports-working-on-new-nfl-blitz/2740/]

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I really liked the NFL Blitz games. This is good news. Might end up picking it up.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Excellent. Sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it seems to apply. I really hope that when I get to play both of these they will remind me how much fun simplicity can be.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Old-school Blitz without reveling in drug abuse and hookers (see Blitz: The League) but instead the NFL teams in over-the-top arcade-style football insanity? Do want!

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
I loved playing NFL blitz on N64 with my friend and his brothers, we could play that game all day from noon till night when we had to finally go to bed. I'm so glad they're going to remake it, I will definitely purchase it.

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
This is great news. I loved playing blitz with my brother and friends. It was just tons of fun and wasn't really necessary to know too much about the game to play well. As long as I can still play with different characters like dolphins, hot dog, and robot, I'll be happy.

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
I hope they do that shit was badass. My top score in that game 241 to 27 lol so easy to be op in that game it wasnt a challenge it was just fun

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Xzi said:
the lapalminator said:
focus on a yearly nba jam release
Lol like EA can only do one thing at a time. "Alright guys, we've got thousands of employees. We need them all focused on NBA Jam."
YOU! MINION! YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT FOOD FOR A SPLIT SECOND THERE!

Please my lord! Have mercy, we all been forced to work on NBA Jam a week straight!

NO MERCY! TO THE MARKETING DEPARTMENT TO YOU!

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
There apparently won't be any of the business that occured with NBA Jam where it quizzically was released on the Xbox 360 and PS3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97382-NBA-Jam-Remake-Confirmed-for-Wii] due to various circumstances.
EA better not pull any ridiculous stunts like that with NFL Blitz for their sake. There's no telling how much money they screwed themselves out of by not putting any hype or fanfare into the Wii version when it was released and then scrambling to put the game on retail discs for the HD consoles to make up for the NBA Elite 11 delay and eventual cancellation. It was just one bad decision after another, and if they pull that again with NFL Blitz, then they really shouldn't be in business anymore.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Jon Etheridge said:
This is cool and all... but dammit, someone bring back Mutant League Football.
yes.
And the hockey.
And the baseball.
and anything with the mutants.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
I seem to remember one of the newer Blitz's saying on the box that you can make your character better by using drugs. Or at least using steroids would make them play better.