Rumor: Nintendo Still Not Going With Hard Drive for Wii 2

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
If they have some way to add a HDD, I am fine with this. If not, I am reconsidering my interest.

Soviet Heavy said:
Perhaps they intend to implement cloud gaming into their new console? That would cut out the need for a hard drive, and it would give the OnLive some competition in the cloud gaming market.
Baldr said:
Online Storage Locker?
As much as you lot over in the USA might be excited by things like this, it's actually really horrible and disables so many people from even enjoying their games. The internet connections where I live charge like $2/GB, it's simply not realistic. The same goes for things like Netflix.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
sleeky01 said:
Rigs83 said:
Or they might use a solid state drive that's faster than a hard disc drive who knows it's all rumors till E3.
*sigh* while that really would be a nice thought a quick look at the price of SSD's now would drive the price of the console far too high.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:5300|&Sort=2
That's how much it cost to buy one, Nintendo would buy thousands at once so it won't cost them that much. I forgot the name of the rule of economics something about volume bringing prices down

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Rigs83 said:
Or they might use a solid state drive that's faster than a hard disc drive who knows it's all rumors till E3.
This is HIGHLY unlikely due to the huge cost of SSDs currently. If it does have an SSD, then this thing must cost $600.
Nintendo would or could buy them in bulk so it will drive the cost down. People in the old old days of 2000 would buy a $100 iRock mp3 player to take out the $200 compact 1 gig card.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I can't believe anyone would release a console without a hard drive or some sort of decent mass storage these days? The one huge thing that Sony did right with the PS3 is they made it so the hard drive was user replaceable/upgradeable. An absolutely brilliant move (Microsoft learn from this!!!). I upgraded mine to 1 Tb and I still have a huge chunk of it filled with DLC, game downloads, game saves, etc.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
This is insane. While it is good that they're upgrading from the Wii's ridiculously tiny amount of memory, I would have preferred the announcement of a hard drive in Project Cafe.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Guys I thought it was my duty to tell you, as a close friend of a guy whose working on Nintendo Cafe right now, that it will actually be called "Nintendo Pou" and feature a jetpack on the console to give "visual and aural, spatial feedback". The controller will be a small working mechanical toad with an independent AI, which you have to try and cajole into doing what you want to create a more immersive experience. Examples of actions include, spitting in the toads eye and threatening to give Toads offspring to French people.

And naturally it won't contain a harddrive, because the Pou will be connected to worldwide super cloud storage centre underneath the earth's crust which communicates with the console via voles.

I'd love to give you more credentials, but unfortunately Nintendo would fire my friend and have me extradited if I revealed my true identity (Batman) but I'll leave you with this, you'll never go back to a rumble pack after you've experienced the pounding intensity of their 'boxing-glove-on-a-spring' haptic interface.

Also their will be five individual screens, including one that interacts with the user through yodelling and they will all be in 12-D