Rumor: Nintendo Working on an SNES Classic Edition

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Rumor: Nintendo Working on an SNES Classic Edition

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1398/1398981.jpg

Sources have claimed that a new throwback console, the SNES Mini, is set to take the place of the discontinued NES Classic.

The recently confirmed that production on the NES Classic Edition had stopped worldwide [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167933-Nintendo-Announces-NES-Classic-Edition-Launching-in-November].

However, it appears that Nintendo may still be interested in catering to the throwback market.

Eurogamer has reported that Nintendo is currently working on an SNES Classic Edition, set to replace the recently discontinued NES Classic Edition, and that the new console is geared to be ready to sell in time for Christmas.

"The SNES mini (or, to continue Nintendo's official branding, likely the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System) is currently scheduled to launch in time for Christmas this year. Development of the device is already under way, our sources have indicated," Eurogamer writes [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-19-sources-nintendo-to-launch-snes-mini-this-year]. "Nintendo's plans for SNES mini are also a major reason why last year's NES mini did not see a reprieve from discontinuation, Eurogamer understands, despite the latter's continued popularity and sell-out status."

Nintendo has declined to comment on the report. However, should there be any confirmation one way or the other, we will update this post.

What are your thoughts? Do you think discontinuing the NES Classic Edition in order to focus on an SNES Classic Edition is a good decision? What games would you like to see on the SNES Classic?
Sound off in the comments.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I look forward to it being extremely limited before being discontinued, despite the high demand.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I can't wait to not being able to get a hold of one when it comes out to some of the places near me or not.

Look, Nintendo burned a lot of good will when they didn't have enough of the NES classic editions, and I'm thinking it's gonna happen again because, what's planning?

I don't know why they can't have both out at the same time since I would imagine they would sell like hot cakes around the holiday season.

But Nintendo is gonna Nintendo.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
"And there will be exactly one. It will be available at an Applebee's, but we're not going to tell you which one. Also it will only be available for purchase between 3:27pm and 3:28pm. You must also tell the secret password - which we will not disclose - to a man in the bathroom before he'll sell you the system. Good luck, fuckers. :^)"

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with the consensus. They will massively underproduce any such system. I think Wal-Marts were getting like 6 NES Classics or less. I imagine they'll be getting 2 SNES Classics. Because why learn from the past?

Look, I would have picked up a NES Classic just for Super Mario Bros 3, but when it turned out that actually getting one was gonna be impossible, I didn't even bother trying to find one. I'm not gonna waste my time, nor am I gonna pay three times the price to get one from a scalper.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I very much share the sentiments in this thread.

That said, should this thing be real AND Nintendo manage to pull their heads out their collective arse about supply and demand...

Turtles In Time. Or GTFO.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Agree with everyone else, I'd love one but I figure I won't be able to find any so I guess that's that really.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
There are still a bunch of cable extenders and extra controllers in stock for you to buy for the discontinued and sold out consoles.

That's hillarious.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I wasn't much of an NES fan and I still have my old SNES and all the games I want for it, so I don't have much need for these products...

But I understand the sentiment when people get angry because Nintendo just doesn't know how to business and doesn't bother making enough to sell.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Would this mean that Nintendo intend to use miniversions of their old hardware the way Disney treats the Disney Vault? I.e. put them out occasionally for a limited time, cash in on the people for whom that console is nostalgia, then put it on moratorium*, to keep demands and perceived market value high.

I could understand why they would do it, they want people to put a high value on their products and they'd rather have people buying their latest gadget; it's just that the Disney Vault is a very anti-consumer practice.

*a word I've never heard of before this day; it means to cease production.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Oh shit, they're re-releasing their best console to date? What do I need to do to get one? Punch a baby? Suck a dick? I'll do it Nintendo, just give it here.

On a more serious note, I wonder if it will include third party titles, like Chrono Trigger, and FF 6. That's a big part of what made the SNES shine, alongside Metroid and Zelda. I'll be pre-ordering this if they actually release enough.

MtnGamer

Jun 21, 2012
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I can't wait to not being able to get a hold of one when it comes out to some of the places near me or not.

Look, Nintendo burned a lot of good will when they didn't have enough of the NES classic editions, and I'm thinking it's gonna happen again because, what's planning?

I don't know why they can't have both out at the same time since I would imagine they would sell like hot cakes around the holiday season.

But if Nintendo does create enough SNES minis and they have a decent line-up of games (and an acceptable reach of a controller cord), I will be in line.

It may be my optimistic mind, but I think demand for the SNES will be insane. I had a NES, but the games didn't wow me as a child in the same way the SNES did, and I sincerely hope Nintendo is aware of this and will plan for it. The lesson and negative feedback on the availability of the NES mini is so recent, they have to be preparing properly this time around, right?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
MtnGamer said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

But if Nintendo does create enough SNES minis and they have a decent line-up of games (and an acceptable reach of a controller cord), I will be in line.

It may be my optimistic mind, but I think demand for the SNES will be insane. I had a NES, but the games didn't wow me as a child in the same way the SNES did, and I sincerely hope Nintendo is aware of this and will plan for it. The lesson and negative feedback on the availability of the NES mini is so recent, they have to be preparing properly this time around, right?
There lies the rub.

Nintendo has had a bad as of late to not produce enough, well, anything to meet the demand, They did that with the Switch, and with the NES Classic, so I'm not gonna give them the benefit of the doubt that they learned something this time around.

Also, they have to be careful of not cannibalizing themselves since their latest console just came out, and will pick up steam around the holiday season. Not super confident with them on this, but I could be wrong.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This has my attention, but it will all depend on the games with it. Although if its not for a stupid price and has ff3 then it will be mine.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
IF Ninty makes these, fine. But they should also add the port for the actual cartridges that was severely lacking in the NES Classic... as well as of course manufacturing enough to actually meet demand.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
As stated previously...WHY?

Get an old SNES, preferably a non-functional one, and follow a guide using a Raspberry Pi.

IF Nintendo isn't willing to treat its fanbase with any respect then they shouldn't get any.