Rumor: Nintendo Working on an SNES Classic Edition

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
The SNES was my childhood. Fuck, I may have to get this, since mine no longer is with me.

Hopefully the game selection is good.

Mar 9, 2012
Doesn't this effectively puncture the claim that Nintendo discontinued the NES Classic because they thought it would cut into the Switch's Virtual Console sales? You know, the only coherent reason (well, closest to anything resembling a coherent reason anyway) from a business perspective for why they would discontinue it?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Bedinsis said:
Would this mean that Nintendo intend to use miniversions of their old hardware the way Disney treats the Disney Vault? I.e. put them out occasionally for a limited time, cash in on the people for whom that console is nostalgia, then put it on moratorium*, to keep demands and perceived market value high.
The issue with that theory is that Nintendo doesn't profit nearly enough for the demand that these things create. They could make "enough" of them to satisfy that demand and make a boat-load of money in the process. Or they could put out 100 of the things, make their $6,000, and then let the scalpers make 10 times that amount thanks to the manufactured rarity of the product.

Blachman201 said:
Doesn't this effectively puncture the claim that Nintendo discontinued the NES Classic because they thought it would cut into the Switch's Virtual Console sales? You know, the only coherent reason (well, closest to anything resembling a coherent reason anyway) from a business perspective for why they would discontinue it?
I still apply to the theory that Total Biscuit put forth: Nintendo just hates money. :^)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This, along with the NES Classic Edition, is just a myth. Both systems are the gaming world's unicorn. Why do I say this? Because I don't believe either exists. Why do I believe the NES Classic doesn't exist? Because I've never seen one, nor have I met someone in person who has one.
So at this point, I'm pretty sure Nintendo just said, "Yeah, those things are out there..." and people just started the whole, "My friend Jason's third cousin from his mother's side has one. He said so."

That, or Nintendo is just staffed by idiots who are going to repeat the same mistakes again and again. That can't be the case, right?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Leonardo Huizar said:
Or just learn how to build a RaspberryPi and learn the latest emulators
Or better yet, just get a Gameboy Advance SP.

More portable than even a DS, has all the best NES and SNES games ported to it plus some amazing games only for the GBA and GBC, a lit screen, an awesome battery life, full support for 4-player multiplayer, can hook up to a gamecube, and is reliable as hell with crisp sturdy buttons.

And I can really testify as to its battery life too. I've had this thing in my jacket pocket for over a month. It's probably been at least three since it's been charged. And it's still booting up just fine and still showing up green on the battery charge. Played it for 10 mins or so to make sure.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Fox12 said:
Oh shit, they're re-releasing their best console to date? What do I need to do to get one? Punch a baby? Suck a dick? I'll do it Nintendo, just give it here.

On a more serious note, I wonder if it will include third party titles, like Chrono Trigger, and FF 6. That's a big part of what made the SNES shine, alongside Metroid and Zelda. I'll be pre-ordering this if they actually release enough.
Worgen said:
This has my attention, but it will all depend on the games with it. Although if its not for a stupid price and has ff3 then it will be mine.
I really hate to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't expect that good a selection.

Let's select a few game almost at random. Chrono Trigger, FFVI (or FFIII), Secret of Mana, and Super Mario RPG. Do you know what they all have in common? Other than being some of the best SNES games, they were also developed by Square.

Why is that a big deal? Because Nintendo can't just put those games on a SNES Classic. They need to make a deal with Square to do that. Not a big deal? Well, what about Konami games? Or really any other publisher? Nintendo would need to strike a deal to get any of those games.

In other words, money. Probably not insignificant amounts of it, either. That would probably up the price significantly. And considering how many NES Classics they made, do you think they would ever sell enough to make deals with several different publishers viable?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Saltyk said:
Fox12 said:
Oh shit, they're re-releasing their best console to date? What do I need to do to get one? Punch a baby? Suck a dick? I'll do it Nintendo, just give it here.

On a more serious note, I wonder if it will include third party titles, like Chrono Trigger, and FF 6. That's a big part of what made the SNES shine, alongside Metroid and Zelda. I'll be pre-ordering this if they actually release enough.
Worgen said:
This has my attention, but it will all depend on the games with it. Although if its not for a stupid price and has ff3 then it will be mine.
I really hate to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't expect that good a selection.

Let's select a few game almost at random. Chrono Trigger, FFVI (or FFIII), Secret of Mana, and Super Mario RPG. Do you know what they all have in common? Other than being some of the best SNES games, they were also developed by Square.

Why is that a big deal? Because Nintendo can't just put those games on a SNES Classic. They need to make a deal with Square to do that. Not a big deal? Well, what about Konami games? Or really any other publisher? Nintendo would need to strike a deal to get any of those games.

In other words, money. Probably not insignificant amounts of it, either. That would probably up the price significantly. And considering how many NES Classics they made, do you think they would ever sell enough to make deals with several different publishers viable?
The NES Classic had Final Fantasy, Mega Man and Castlevania.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Saltyk said:
Fox12 said:

Worgen said:

Except they totally did that with the original nes classic, look at its games list, you won't just see nintendo titles on it. Plus they have already done deals like that before, they have the virtual console store. You are just plain wrong.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Pretty simple for me:
I never owned a NES, so the NES-Mini was great! (and I own one now :p)
I have an SNES at home. So a SNES-Mini ... well, why?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Saltyk said:
Fox12 said:

Worgen said:

Worgen said:
Saltyk said:
Fox12 said:

Worgen said:

Except they totally did that with the original nes classic, look at its games list, you won't just see nintendo titles on it. Plus they have already done deals like that before, they have the virtual console store. You are just plain wrong.
Really? I didn't remember those games being on there. I haven't looked at the list in a long time, but I thought it was games that Nintendo had the rights to exclusively.

This just confuses me even more as to why they didn't make more. Wouldn't they need to make a good amount of money to make getting those games viable financially?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Saltyk said:
RaikuFA said:
Saltyk said:
Fox12 said:

Worgen said:

Worgen said:
Saltyk said:
Fox12 said:

Worgen said:

Really? I didn't remember those games being on there. I haven't looked at the list in a long time, but I thought it was games that Nintendo had the rights to exclusively.

This just confuses me even more as to why they didn't make more. Wouldn't they need to make a good amount of money to make getting those games viable financially?
Yeah, I don't really know, maybe they are sitting on a stock pile they will ebay or something. Lately nintendo has kinda been doing the forced scarcity thing. It kinda started with Metroid prime trilogy, they only printed that game for like 3 months then cut off supply. Maybe they are also trying to make sure these never end up in any kind of a bargain bin. Nintendo is weird and should probably be boycotted for various shit they are pulling but they pretty much made most gamers childhoods.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Saltyk said:
RaikuFA said:
Saltyk said:
Fox12 said:

Worgen said:

Worgen said:
Saltyk said:
Fox12 said:

Worgen said:

Yeah, I was skeptical as well, but looking at the line up there was a lot of third party support. Castlevania, FF, ghost n goblins, mega man, ect. Maybe some of those were cheaper since they were older, but there was a lot of support. I'm hoping the same would be true for SNES.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Geisterkarle said:
Pretty simple for me:
I never owned a NES, so the NES-Mini was great! (and I own one now :p)
I have an SNES at home. So a SNES-Mini ... well, why?
Pics or I dont believe you. No one has seen an NES-mini in real life. Its like Sasquatch.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Who cares?

My town might get 3 of them and it'll cost 5x -10x more to get them off ebay/Amazon so why bother?

This is great news for collectors but anyone who has a casual interest will have to resort to illegal free options that have been out there for decades.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
They're in the process of trying to design a pay-per-month rental service to collect infinite money from every customer on all their old IP, so I not only do not see this being designed with numbers in mind to connect one to even close to every customer who wants one, but I doubt that it's going to be sitting on many of the big name games the customer would want to play. I am betting it's going to be a bunch of trash, Super Mario (maybe All Stars). But then stuff like Top Gear instead of F-Zero, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Street Fighter 2 (fucking doesn't matter edition)... but the idea that it's going to have Super Mario RPG, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc. No, they could do it with the NES cause it's unlikely anyone will drop the money for 8-bit on a rental, but the ability to charge you forever for Super Metroid? Yah, boy they're going to do that. They're still pissed they only got to charge you once for all those games you bought from the virtual store on the Wii.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Armadox said:
They're in the process of trying to design a pay-per-month rental service to collect infinite money from every customer on all their old IP
They could've done this if they'd built some internet into the Classic. Rent SMB3 for a month for $1. Rent the Megaman Collection for $3. Sign up to the NES Classic club for $5 a month and get ten monthly games. Upgrade to Classic Gold for $10 and get thirty!

I'm still baffled that they didn't microtransaction the heck out of that thing. It would've been so easy.