Rumor: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Totally Dead

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Totally Dead

First the director is out of the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie adaptation, now Natalie Portman. That doesn't sound good for fans of the book.

Seth Grahame-Smith probably felt like many people do about Jane Austen literature: that it's boring and in need of a jazzy update. As it turns out, zombies were the necessary ingredient, and Grahame-Smith wound up with a huge hit on his hands when he published Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! A movie adaptation of the satire was announced, producing by and starring Natalie Portman, though rumors circulating in Hollywood now claim that she's bailed on the project after the film's director left, which means it's dead in the water.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Portman has decided to leave Pride and Prejudice and Zombies in lieu of the new Superman flick that's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104034-Zack-Snyder-Directing-Next-Superman-Movie>being directed by Zack Snyder. Portman will supposedly be playing Lois Lane.

Meanwhile, <a href=http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/10/david_o_russell_quits_pride_an.html>it was reported earlier this week that the zombie movie's director, David O. Russell, was leaving the project because of scheduling conflicts with Portman, so he'll instead be directing a dramedy called Old St. Louis. So, without a director, star, or producer, it sounds like the movie adaptation isn't going to be hitting theaters any time soon.

Meanwhile, If you haven't read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594743347/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1D3S5FQK7H61WYE56HCH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846#reader_1594743347>you should go ahead and pick up a copy; as John Funk once stated about the book: "It's goddamn hilarious. The fact that somebody thought, 'Hey, I freakin' love this masterpiece of English literature, but you know what it really needs? Zombies!' ... well, that's going to cheer me up for a good few days at the very least. It is a sad fact that classical literature is largely devoid of the living dead." Truer words were never spoken, Mr. Funk.

Source: Entertainment Weekly via <a href=http://io9.com/5658722/natalie-portman-ditches-jane-austens-zombies-for-superman>io9

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Awww man. It was almost the best movie ever made. Meh. It'll still be pretty cool.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
"That doesn't sound god for fans of the book."
Not trying to be rude, just think this should be pointed out...
How is it god for fans? Or did you mean good?

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Milo Windby said:
Gah! Proofread the damn thing twice and still missed that. Thanks :)

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Milo Windby said:
Oh, why did you have to go and ninja me on that one?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Nah, that book was never good. Not with zombies and especially not without them.
I never managed to finish it. It may involve zombies, but it does involve a lot of Jane Austen too and let me tell you Jane Austen is nothing a sane human would need to read.

Yes, this is a personal opinion, but I was very much disappointed by it. Now the film... it may have been tolerable, but I'm not sad it probably crashed.

ArcanaJ

Sep 14, 2010
Looks like I'm the only one here who's glad to see this die. I was so excited about the book (I love Jane Austen's work) but when I read it, it was bad that I couldn't even finish it.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
vansau said:
Milo Windby said:
Gah! Proofread the damn thing twice and still missed that. Thanks :)
No problem, happy to help ^^

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well this is interesting news. It does make me wonder how accurate this could all be because it's been out there for a while, and if Natalie Portman was PRODUCING it as well as starring in it, one has to wonder how she could just back away from the project and take that kind of financial hit to play in another movie.

This leads me to believe that there was never any actual work done on the movie, and just people talking to each other (which means it could come up again any time), there is a lot more to this story, or the rumor is entirely false and at most we're looking at a delay.

Actors tend to wind up under contract, and I could see a delay under the circumstances if someone was to say tell Natalie Portman that she agreed to be in "X" number of movies and this was going to be one of them, leading to her having to put the contract above her own projects.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
The only reason I sat through the movie was to get laid.
Would have to be a threesome of epic proportions to get me to read that book.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
That's unfortunate. We could have gotten a truly great "spoof" film for a change[footnote]Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, I hate you both.[/footnote], let alone something original. But noooooo! Let's go for the failremake movie of the alien with the personality of a paper cup dressed in a leotard.

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
The original adaptation was fun and fresh, but quickly went overboard into gimmick territory with a bunch of other churned out remakes. It caught attention for a while, but I don't think the general populace could care anymore.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
I don't know what's more disappointing: that the movie is cancelled or that Zach Snyder is now doing Superman