Rumor: PSP 2 Features Reverse Touch Screen Controls

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: PSP 2 Features Reverse Touch Screen Controls

The PSP 2 is rumored to have a control scheme that could be completely new to handheld systems.

Though Sony's unannounced future version of the Nintendo DS' [http://www.amazon.com/PSP-3000-Core-Pack-Black-Sony/dp/B001KMRN0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282232401&sr=8-1]'s footsteps by including a touch screen control system into the next generation of the PSP, and this is rumored to be the case, but with a method that could vary from what has been seen before.

Sources at Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-19-new-psp-has-touch-sensitive-controls] say that the next iteration of the PSP will have touch controls not on the front of the device, but on the back. The outlet affirms that "three separate development sources" have mentioned the reverse touch screen, though the PSP 2 is believed to still be an unfinished product.

The PSP 2 is reportedly being shown to publishers behind closed doors with one source alleging it could be released by the end of 2011, and others saying it won't happen until 2012 or later. It's also rumored to be the same size as the PSP-3000, and may use Flash memory for storage media. Keep in mind that this is all pure speculation for now, because if sources are saying it's not going to be out for a couple of years, Sony could still be working on the final specs.

The most intriguing rumor here is the reverse touch pad. It sounds strange, but theoretically it could allow for a form of touch control while still being able to use the PSP's face and shoulder buttons. The Nintendo DS's touch screen works great (for most games), but it does require losing the ability to use the handheld's face buttons. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be to feel around on the back of the PSP with the middle, ring, and pinky fingers while using the others to push buttons and control the D-pad/analog sticks, but it's definitely a new concept that sounds interesting.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-19-new-psp-has-touch-sensitive-controls]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
That sounds... very, very interesting.

I like this idea a lot. Wonder how it will be in real life

Apr 28, 2008
They better add another damn analog stick. Thats all I want. At the end there you use analog sticks in plural, so hopefully it'll have more than one. And not awkwardly placed.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Touch controls on the back.. Does this mean that the psp will bli slightly see-through or have i misunderstood?

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
Irridium said:
They better add another damn analog stick. Thats all I want. At the end there you use analog sticks in plural, so hopefully it'll have more than one. And not awkwardly placed.
I have to agree on this one, double analog stick with permit great fps games that are portable.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
On the one hand, most of your fingers are back there anyway... but problems I could see from unable to SEE what your doing.

May 25, 2010
Touch controls on the back. This will definitely need something to cover them.

At any rate, sounds really interesting. I might just pick up a PSP2, or whatever it's called.

3LANCER

Sep 11, 2008
PSP with a bit better refresh-rate is all I want. I still have my old phat (aka PSP 1000) and it's a great portable device. Idea of touch screen "down under" sounds okay on paper, but we should wait and see at least a prototype of the new control system and hope it won't be gimmicky as in NDS.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
A psp with a touchpad on the back would be brilliant for shooter games... the touchpad would be way better than an analog for aiming. You would probably use your index finger for it, so you'd sacrifice full-time use of the right (or left) trigger.

This news has me excited about PSP2, I'm going to put off getting a 3DS until there's some concrete news about this. A touchpad I can use at the same time as normal game buttons > 3D display.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I don't like the idea of it being on the back, it's just far too awkward and clumsy to play with. If the other article I read was true, it has the same form factor/shape as the normal PSP, and tacking anything on the back like a touch screen is just bad. It's still rather daunting on how it will be used and all, I'll just have to wait and see, but the concept alone is too awkward and I don't like it.

I'd be perfectly fine with them turning the PSP massive screen into a touch screen as well, or ya know...just add a second stick to shut up the whiners (hey I'd love it too but I'm not that butt hurt about as some people are).

What I DO like s that the PSP2 will be using flash based media instead of UMDs which will cut down on load times, hold more memory (4gig sticks alone are dirt cheap these days) and be overall more portable. But PLEASE allow for some sort of backwards compatibility, I still wanna play my PSP1 games too.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Corpse XxX said:
Touch controls on the back.. Does this mean that the psp will bli slightly see-through or have i misunderstood?
No, it's not touch SCREEN, just touch PADS... Like your lap top, the little touch pad that controls the mouse. i'm interested to see how this goes down

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
in other news it will also have 2 screens, motion controls and miis, I mean psiis

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
just give us the freaking second analog stick then its basically a controller for your ps3 and that is what were used to not this zoom in then aim while sitting still. seriously though why is it on the same side as the other move pad thingy. When you could use both your thumbs and not even need a 2nd analog stick!

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
And next to be added, motion controls...the PSP 3 senses when the user is frustrated by a particular game's difficulty via detecting the motion of being thrown against a nearby wall, and lowers the difficulty automatically based on the force with which it struck.

And then following that, on the PSP 4, Bad Touch Screen controls will be added. Details are hazy at this point in time.

wellhereiam

Jul 4, 2010
I don't see how this is going to work without people acidentally touching the buttons. If you reduce the sensitivity then maybe it will work but otherwise I doubt it will be viable. Not that I'm not hoping it will work, I just think this has the potential to be incredibly annoying.