Rumor: Rocksteady Making a Silver Age Batman Game

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Adam West has to play Batman and they have to wear the zebra suit. Anybody who doesn't know what I'm talking about, behold.

Not quite as bizarre as Superman's power to shoot rainbows from his fingers, but it's up there.

Wonder if they'll delve into the oddity of Bat-Baby's physics?

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
YES! I was actually hoping for this, but I never thought it would happen. Not that this is accredited in any way or will necessarily happen- but I am still hoping, praying, willing and optimistic for this to be real. Even if it was some DLC in the Arkham City engine, or something like the Robin/Nightwing character packs with Adam West Batman- complete with Riddler, Joker and the sets re-envisioned as the silver age.

Of course, adding things like "BIFF!" "BOFF!" "SMACK!" "PUNCH!" blurbs in combat.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
They would need need NEED the right music. Go Go. 60s style stuff.

Like, if they could nail a No One Lives Forever style vibe with the game, I would be SO VERY SOLD.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! I so wanted there to be a Batman Beyond game! Why must all the good versions of Batman be forgotten?!

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Frontastic said:
But they left very clear sequel threads. Azrael's entire point in being there was pretty much just a sequel hook. Then there was Hush and all the Scarecrow stuff.
Yeah, seemed like half of the AC sidequests only existed to put a framework in place for the next game.

Frontastic said:
My first reaction to this was "No no no no no no no no no!"
As was mine. Am I really the only person who's sick and tired of the Silver Age? Bad enough that the DC writers all fanboy it hard enough that any recent iteration of a character will be thrown under the bus in order to revive the Silver Age version, now do we have to have it creeping into the video games too?

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009

Its... beautiful. Please say they get Adam West, that would be perfect; as much as I love Kevin Konroy he voice does NOT fit Silver age.

Lest we forget.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
Frontastic said:
But they left very clear sequel threads. Azrael's entire point in being there was pretty much just a sequel hook. Then there was Hush and all the Scarecrow stuff.
Yeah, seemed like half of the AC sidequests only existed to put a framework in place for the next game.

Frontastic said:
My first reaction to this was "No no no no no no no no no!"
As was mine. Am I really the only person who's sick and tired of the Silver Age? Bad enough that the DC writers all fanboy it hard enough that any recent iteration of a character will be thrown under the bus in order to revive the Silver Age version, now do we have to have it creeping into the video games too?
Hush especially was nonsense, shameless, sequel bait. It was actually quite annoying that went nowhere.

You're not alone, I am sick of it (bought the first Batman Showcase collection and I can't even finish it, it's horrific). At the same time though a one-off Silver Age game would be nice just as a break from the relentless grim and gritty. Not that the grim and gritty isn't great but between Court of Owls, Arkham City and Rises (8 days!), it would be nice to give the franchise a breather where it could take the piss out of itself briefly. Like I said this as well as Arkham 3 would be great as a contrast but this in place of it, no thanks.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Frontastic said:
Hush especially was nonsense, shameless, sequel bait. It was actually quite annoying that went nowhere.
What gets me is that it doesn't even make sense! Yeah, in the comics Hush takes over at being Bruce Wayne because, due to his prodigous surgical talent, he actually resembles Bruce Wayne. In Arkham City, Hush looks like Bruce Wayne would if he attempted to perform cunnilingus on a lawnmower!

Nobody, but nobody, is going to be fooled into thinking that this is the real Bruce Wayne. Even on the extremely unlikely off-chance that they are, so what? The real Bruce Wayne is still wandering about, being a highly visible public figure. What the fuck is the actual plan here, Hush? Hell, Hush's entire purpose was fucking with Bruce Wayne, but the game's version doesn't seem to know that Bruce Wayne is Batman! It's idiocy!

Frontastic said:
You're not alone, I am sick of it (bought the first Batman Showcase collection and I can't even finish it, it's horrific). At the same time though a one-off Silver Age game would be nice just as a break from the relentless grim and gritty. Not that the grim and gritty isn't great but between Court of Owls, Arkham City and Rises (8 days!), it would be nice to give the franchise a breather where it could take the piss out of itself briefly. Like I said this as well as Arkham 3 would be great as a contrast but this in place of it, no thanks.
It might work amusingly as a skin pack or DLC for Arkham City. Like Bat-Mite turning the world into the Silver Age, or some modified version of Scarecrow gas causing Batman to trip balls. Like you say though, I doubt they'd accept that in the grim and gritty series.

Either way, I don't really go to Batman for goofy antics and garish colours. That isn't what Batman is these days; he's dark, and mentally unstable, and as morally grey as it's possible to be. That's become the point of the character. It's certainly a lot more interesting than BIFF! KAPOW!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I want this right now. Maybe it's because I'm utterly fed up with grim-and-gritty always brooding Batman, but I love Silver Age Batman. I can't wait for the fight scenes where you hear classic sound effects like, "Biff!" or "Pow!" or "Marty!" or "Splash!" and my personal favorite, "SQULD!"

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
It is about friggin' time!

I am just tired of grumpy, nasty batman. I love that batman, but I love equally silver age, corny batman too.

This makes me quite happy really...quite happy indeed.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
Yeah they made a lot of weird choices like that in Arkham City that were just bizarre. Like Batman not knowing what the Lazarus Pits were despite knowing that Ra's was immortal. The Hush thing... I hadn't really thought about that. Maybe he'd just wear a lot of make-up? Or is it the Buffalo Bill argument that he's just so messed up that to him all that cut up and sown together skin would actually look like a woman, or in this case Bruce.
Also I could be wrong but doesn't Batman say right after that bit to Oracle that Elliot knows Bruce Wayne is Batman? (as sentences go it's a man talking about himself's in two different third persons, it really messed with my head the first time I heard it). Maybe the plan was to pretend to be Bruce while he was still busy in Arkham City/assuming Strange would kill Batman while he was in there? Given the Batcave DLC and Catwoman being a major character in the game, the Heart of Hush story could have a made a pretty good DLC pack.

I feel the same in terms of what Batman is these days and yes it is much better than having him as some kind of light-hearted kid-friendly comedy. It would just be nice for a brief break. Funny you should suggest Scarecrow gas as in-canon explanation for it because isn't that how Grant Morrison explained away the entire Silver-Age in R.I.P? (still haven't read it)
For the same reason that Lego Batman 2 looks great, I would buy a Silver Age Arkham. The only worry would be that it would end up with WB going the 'Forever' route of trying to re-brand the franchise for kids when they really don't need to. Grown-up nerd money is more abundant than kid-money and just as likey to buy all the figurines, that I can personally attest to :p

Mork1986

Sep 28, 2012
Any updates on this?
I've just played Arkham City and while it's a good game, I prefer the oldies

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Mork1986 said:
Any updates on this?
I've just played Arkham City and while it's a good game, I prefer the oldies
Not that I've heard, but it did inspire someone to make this.