Rumor: Slim PS3 is Real, Won't be at E3

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Oh, fuck off Sony.
I'm not paying however much for a smaller version of a console I already have.
I don't see why they couldn't have done this at the start.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
The reason they took out BC is that it was setting the consoles on fire.
You know all those jokes about PS3's being George Forman grills and images of melted consoles, that's because the BC was turning into Napalm.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
oliveira8 said:
The question is...Is it going to be cheaper and have proper backward compatibility?
It better. Sony shot themselves in the foot by taking BC out of the new models. Easily the most boneheaded move they've made this generation. Renewing BC would spark enthusiasm for the console.
They took it out because the consumers say they didn't use it much, but wanted the ps3 to be cheaper. You the consumer shot your own self in the foot.

EmileeElectro said:
Oh, fuck off Sony.
They aren't selling it now for consumers to go an buy another one. They are going to sell it simply because they can make it smaller, now.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Step 1: Make console smaller Step 2: ??? Step 3: Profit!
I've never understood why Sony has thought that making a console smaller will make profits? I can't imagine someone looking at a current PS2 or 3 and thinking "You know, I would buy that, but it's just a little too big". Unless it comes with a price reduction, which I can't imagine it will since it will probably costs more to produce to reduce the size of the existing hardware and still maintain performance, then I can't imagine it will push too many people over the fence. Admittedly I've never played a PS3, but I enjoy my PS and PS2, so I don't have a vendetta against Sony, it just seems like they screwed themselves over multiple times with the PS3, and I doubt a smaller version will turn that around.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
oliveira8 said:
The question is...Is it going to be cheaper and have proper backward compatibility?
It better. Sony shot themselves in the foot by taking BC out of the new models. Easily the most boneheaded move they've made this generation. Renewing BC would spark enthusiasm for the console.
Funk, I now worship you. WORSHIP THE MIGHTY FUNK!

This very reason is why I refuse to buy a PS3. I really want some of the games on the damn thing... but no BC? No dice Sony, no dice. At least the 360 has the capability of being backwards compatabile, even if support for it is basically nonexistant these days... Same goes for the Wii, though I have to say that if I can't find a Wavebird controller or two there's no chance of me getting a Wii either.

Edit: I put Keane as Funk... This is due to it being 8 AM where I live, and not having gotten much sleep. Whoopsie! My zealotry is now pointed in the right direction.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
scotth266 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
oliveira8 said:
Keane, I now worship you. WORSHIP THE MIGHTY KEANE!

This very reason is why I refuse to buy a PS3. I really want some of the games on the damn thing... but no BC? No dice Sony, no dice. At least the 360 has the capability of being backwards compatabile, even if support for it is basically nonexistant these days... Same goes for the Wii, though I have to say that if I can't find a Wavebird controller or two there's no chance of me getting a Wii either.

Hmm..why are you calling Keane to Funk?

Still waiting for proper BC.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Hmm..why are you calling Keane to Funk?

Still waiting for proper BC.
Noticed that and fixed it, though he'll likely be confused when he sees the quote message :D

I had another thread with Keane talking in it, and with it being 8 in the morning and not having slept yet, things blurred together for me.

And damn the lack of BC. Speaking of which, they still sell the old DS's right?

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
scotth266 said:
Not sure but...

The old DS is going to be on sale till it disapeers from retail stands. Then you stuck with DSi.
Oh crap. Time to run to the store then. I'm NOT getting a DSi.

Nintendo, what did you do? You had a formula that worked perfectly, and realized that BC was a good thing... and then you strip it from your latest model? It doesn't make sense.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
scotth266 said:
oliveira8 said:
scotth266 said:
Not sure but...

The old DS is going to be on sale till it disapeers from retail stands. Then you stuck with DSi.
Oh crap. Time to run to the store then. I'm NOT getting a DSi.

Nintendo, what did you do? You had a formula that worked perfectly, and realized that BC was a good thing... and then you strip it from your latest model? It doesn't make sense.
Well..you can still play the old games. You just have to fork out money to play them.

Or something.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Well..you can still play the old games. You just have to fork out money to play them.

Or something.
That sounds suspiciously like saying I should pay for games that I already own in order to play them again. I say: SCREW THAT.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
scotth266 said:
oliveira8 said:

Or something.
That sounds suspiciously like saying I should pay for games that I already own in order to play them again. I say: SCREW THAT.
I know, right? I hate that.

But seriously. The consumers said they didn't use BC much AND they wanted price drops.

So if you want to whine, blame it on yourselves for being so picky.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
EmileeElectro said:
Oh, fuck off Sony.
Uh.....a slim model wouldn't be aimed at people who already own a PS3. What sense does that make at all?

Besides, it worked with the Gameboy "color" didn't it?

oliveira8 said:
That's a problem though, after Sony cut backwards compatibility, didn't the PS3 have a price cut around the same time? It's either have BC with an additional 50 or so bucks on the price tag or no BC and 50 or so bucks off the price tag.

It's a paradox to be sure, people want a price cut but they want BC to. Unfortunately, right now I don't think you can get both. It's either BC and a price rise, because BC does cost much, or a cheaper PS3 overall.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Jumplion said:
EmileeElectro said:
Oh, fuck off Sony.
Uh.....a slim model wouldn't be aimed at people who already own a PS3. What sense does that make at all?

I got a PS2 slimline because my old big one broke. Well, the laser stopped working or something.
Actually it's my boyfriend's but I think he forgot about it...
Anyway, Gameboy colour offered games in colour! So it was an improvement.
Like, I remember when phones didn't used to be in colour o_O and I remember getting my first colour phone. It was awesome.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
EmileeElectro said:
Jumplion said:
EmileeElectro said:
Oh, fuck off Sony.

I got a PS2 slimline because my old big one broke. Well, the laser stopped working or something.
Actually it's my boyfriend's but I think he forgot about it...
Anyway, Gameboy colour offered games in colour! So it was an improvement.
Like, I remember when phones didn't used to be in colour o_O and I remember getting my first colour phone. It was awesome.
I meant Gameboy "color" as in a Gameboy just in a different color scheme, not color gameplay :p

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Jumplion said:
Sony Corp. slashed the price of its current PlayStation 3 by $100, or 16.7 percent, and introduced a high-capacity model in an effort to spur sales of the struggling video game console.

Starting Monday, the current 60 gigabyte model will cost $499, down from $599.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19674547/

In 2007, there was others price cuts but I can't be bothered to look for it.

Also hell! It costed $600!! Next generation you be buying the PS4 for $1000.

And it still costs alot. The cheapest version(according to Amazon.com) the 40gb is $399. And my bet is that the 40gb version won't last you much and you'll need to buy a better HD.

Add also the HD Tv that you probably will need to buy so you can read whatever goes on screen.(WTB font enlargers please?) And the games that cost around $50-$60. Sum everything up and a PS3 costs almost as much as PC gaming...

Oh and don't think that the Xbox 360 can walk out of this smiling.

The cheapest 360 is the 60gb that costs $299. And of course you have to buy the Wi-Fi stuff and other crap that should have come with the console. The HD television. Add also the $50-$60 games and of course the repairs for when your 360 burns after the warranty expires.

DAMN IT I'M MAD AT CONSOLE GAMING!

It's expensive and it doesn't even bring the usefull stuff that a computer has.

Stop making the world's crapiest Computers and get back to do Consoles.

Stop putting MP3 players, web surfing and whatever other useless crap that is completly irrelevant to the gaming part. And get back doing Consoles which are actually made to play video games!