Rumor: Sony to Purchase Cloud Gaming Service

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Would be awesome if they would be able to include this into their television sets, that would open up the world of games to a whole bigger audience, this could be big... Just buy a controller, turn on your television and there you go.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
jindofox said:
Worgen said:
Ahh cloud gaming, for when you want to give total control to a corporation. The only way I see any kind of cloud gaming being remotely good for the consumer ...
It sounds pretty convenient to me. I have both kinds of games and wish there was a bigger/better catalog of streaming titles on OnLive.

Storage for PS3 games is out of control. The last Street Fighter game was an 18GB download. The OnLive version only downloads about 1GB/hour for streaming play, which means I have yet to play it enough to make it eat as much bandwidth as a direct download would need, to say nothing of storage. The less said about Vita storage media prices, the better.

What part of the current console gaming scene do you feel is under your "control?" You can buy and insert an optical disc, and that's about it. The OS on the console is fenced off, software updates are installed automatically, and online play is provided (for a fee) at the pleasure of the provider, to be discontinued at any time they choose.

I suppose cloud-gamers would give up the opportunity to resell used purchases for pennies on the dollar. Even GameStop's pawn-shop practices are being challenged by digital downloads and "online passes."
If I am not mistaken, if you "buy" a game off of OnLive at full retail price, it's really just a 2 or 3 year rental (also I think there is a subscription fee). I think buying a disc that you can play 10 years later is superior. Hell, even buying a game from PSN is superior because there is no expiration date on it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
bahumat42 said:
Baresark said:

so its ok to stream films, music and audio, but games are the line.

Its really odd how many technophobes there are in the gaming sphere.

This thread makes me sad.
They are not the same thing. None of the things you mentioned are an interactive medium. I am not a technophobe, but I do find it kind of funny that just because it's new tech it is immediately awesome and no wrong can be done with it. While cloud anything certainly does have great potential for a great many things, it is not an end all for every possible medium.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
GeorgW said:
I'm really hoping this is true. I'm partial to Sony over its competitors, mostly cuz of their drive to innovate and their focus on gaming, much different from M$ and Nintendo. I've always like the idea of cloud gaming, though its implementation had been iffy. In the hands of a huge company, and especially one with the focus that Sony has, I can't wait to see what happens with this. Btw, my money's on Gaikai being purchased.
Nintendo is all about gaming, it's just sad that they push gimmicks to accomplish that. Sony used the PS3 to sell Blu-Ray players. I say this as someone who loves their PS3 more than the other 2 consoles but let's face facts, Sony is a hardware manufacturer and using a successful brand (the Playstation brand in 2006) to sell a new piece of hardware makes sense. Sony makes everything from MP3 players to televisions. Microsoft seems to be more interested in creating a motion controlled cable box these days.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
I'm really hoping this is true. I'm partial to Sony over its competitors, mostly cuz of their drive to innovate and their focus on gaming, much different from M$ and Nintendo. I've always like the idea of cloud gaming, though its implementation had been iffy. In the hands of a huge company, and especially one with the focus that Sony has, I can't wait to see what happens with this. Btw, my money's on Gaikai being purchased.
Nintendo is all about gaming, it's just sad that they push gimmicks to accomplish that. Sony used the PS3 to sell Blu-Ray players. I say this as someone who loves their PS3 more than the other 2 consoles but let's face facts, Sony is a hardware manufacturer and using a successful brand (the Playstation brand in 2006) to sell a new piece of hardware makes sense. Sony makes everything from MP3 players to televisions. Microsoft seems to be more interested in creating a motion controlled cable box these days.
Maybe when they first launched, but look at them now. I agree with you about M$ trying to create a cable box rather than a gaming console. The last 2 or so years Sony's moved away from hardware and focused soley on software, which is what I would say is being concerned about gamers. Gamers want games. Meanwhile, look at Nintendo. The Wii's only gotten a couple of good games the last 2 years, and they've all been first party. They also show little respect towards its audience, not releasing new, hardcore, desperately wanted games (operation rainfall) and not innovating beyond gimmicks. I love me some Nintendo, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that I feel that Sony respects me more as a consumer.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
GeorgW said:
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
Maybe when they first launched, but look at them now. I agree with you about M$ trying to create a cable box rather than a gaming console. The last 2 or so years Sony's moved away from hardware and focused soley on software, which is what I would say is being concerned about gamers. Gamers want games. Meanwhile, look at Nintendo. The Wii's only gotten a couple of good games the last 2 years, and they've all been first party. They also show little respect towards its audience, not releasing new, hardcore, desperately wanted games (operation rainfall) and not innovating beyond gimmicks. I love me some Nintendo, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that I feel that Sony respects me more as a consumer.
Yeah, I like Sony better too.

- I like being able to install my new copy of Red Dead Redemption Complete (on sale right now on PSN) on both of my PS3's without being tied to the internet.
- I think PS+ is a great value and it makes Xbox Live look pretty shitty. $18 for 3 months is easily made up in any single month. I saved $8 last night on Red Dead Redemption.
- I like being able to watch Netflix without paying Sony extra.
- I like being able to play PS1 titles on the PS3 and the PSP. Nintendo won't even dream of letting me play my Wii VC games on my DS/3DS.

Nintendo is slacking but I hope that's because they are fully into making WiiU games. I get this genuine feeling that Microsoft doesn't care much about games right now, it's all about services. I don't know if they will care next gen either, after all they got in this market to prevent Sony from taking over the living room. Games were just their way in.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
bahumat42 said:
Baresark said:
bahumat42 said:
Baresark said:

They are not the same thing. None of the things you mentioned are an interactive medium. I am not a technophobe, but I do find it kind of funny that just because it's new tech it is immediately awesome and no wrong can be done with it. While cloud anything certainly does have great potential for a great many things, it is not an end all for every possible medium.
well surely the only issue with interactivity is how effective it is to play at acceptable latencies (having used onlive, it totally is).

The future lies somewhere between cloud and downloading, but always being connected will be a fairly concurrent thing, and all the people whining about it achieves nothing.

Yes we get it some people don't have better connections, thats not the companies fault, its your isps (or if you have set it up badly even your fault).

Technology rolls on it just depressing to see everyone caught up in a tizzy over something that doesn't really matter, the difference between owning or being allowed to play is negligible if i can play it all the time.

Not to say that things like D3 or origin shouldn't of been handled better. But the issues i see are with the technologies no with the flaws in them. Which seems somewhat misguided.

The problem with D3 isn't its drm, its that the servers couldn't handle the load, and they need to be better prepared for that. But if all blizzard is hearing from everyone is "hurp durp drm sucks" then their going to ignore them than deal with the issue.

And as much as these things are technically bad for us, their going to happen, anyone with any amount of foresight could of told you that ten plus years ago. And all moaning does is slow down so it doesn't get to the good point quicker.

That was ranty but this whole thing is an issue i see people whining about too commonly because their moaning about the wrong thing.
I can understand your point on that. People do cry a lot about things like this. The problem I see is that it's not the final conclusive future like a lot of people seem to think. There is definitely a place for this in gaming. There is also plenty of space for the traditional model. The success of online stores such as GoG and Desura confirm this.

Also, you have to understand that people want to have some kind of power over things they purchase, even if it's just the right to play it when they please without being barred by the company who made it. The tricky part about that whole thing is now we are getting into ideologies. Just because companies make a product, they think they should have exclusive control over it. And just because people buy a product, they think they should have some right to determine how they are allowed to use it. And this is the great divide of the entire subject.

Also, as a better counterpoint as to why games are treated differently than music and movies: You can still buy music and movies in non digital form. You can still buy DVD's and Blurays of all the movies you find to stream, and the same goes for major music artist that you buy digitally. The wonderful aspect of digital and streaming is it eliminates the need for a major music publisher to place and sell songs on platforms like iTunes.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
bahumat42 said:

No its not. I never do that. I always download and then listen/watch. Streaming is simply the inferior choice.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
Well I guess if you could rent games online without even having to download or install them that would make for a good service. Interesting.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
WAIT WAIT WAIT.

Sony has Purchased a service that interupts games... and shows adverts...

Now Sony may be looking to buy OnLive or Gaikai.

Anyone else joined the dots here?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
the thing with such a service is this wouldn't even need a supposed "Playstation 4" this would apply just as much with the current PS3 technology.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
Between this and the interrupting ad's tech I'm most likely not going to be getting the PS4.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I tried OnLive once, couldn't get past the tiny delay between me making an action and the game responding to it.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
God I'm sick of this shit. Why can't I just save the damn data to something. Then I HAVE it. You know, my progress. This, and the game-interupting ad BS...I almost hope a new company comes along that doesn't try to pull this crap and seizes the entire market share. That's what we need. But no, it's just the two (three) companies so it's choosing the lesser evil rather than the console you want.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Now NOTHING on that console you bought will be yours
SkarKrow said:
This could be either amazing or very bad for gaming indeed....

We shall see.
I'm banking on amazingly bad.
Yeah. This could be good because it could mean getting games near instantly at launch with no hassle, no immense downloads and installs, tiny hardware costs, etc. More likely it'll lead to here's the PSN. Get your overpriced Activision shit from here.

And being Sony, Europe will get fucked by it, completely.

I hope Google makes a console and stands as some kind of majestic shining beacon of awesome.
Possibly in tandem with Sega.

They could also fire the retards who keep programming 2d sonic in a shit way. How hard is it to emulate fucking mega drive physics?

Is the processing just too darn blast?

lorenzolio

Jan 9, 2008
E3 is done and there were zero announcements regarding Sony buying or partnering with a cloud gaming company. Rumour mongers!