Rumor: Warner Bros. Taps Nolan, Bale For Justice League

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
ShakerSilver said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
that dude who thinks chatting with halibut is a super power.
Sometimes I really hate how to this day, Aquaman's time on Super Friends is still what people think about when they hear the character. I mean at the time, he wasn't any sillier than Batman or Superman (i.e. Adam West Batman and Superman's wacky Red Kryptonite transformations), and since the dawn of the Bronze Age of comics, all of DC's characters were being written more seriously, Aquaman included. I mean he's the king of Atlantis for crying out loud, he cut off his own hand to save him and his son from dying at the hands of his brother, not to mention he's also nearly/equally as strong as Wonder Woman, one-third of the DC trinity. You'd think he'd be taken more seriously.

But no, we have meme-spouting shlock like the Big Bang Theory to thank for reminding the general public that Aquaman was once pretty silly, and therefore can never be taken seriously again.
I love you.

Keep the faith, bro. Aquaman kicks all of the arse, and one day everyone else will stop making jokes about him because "the internet told me so". On that day we shall laugh together, and high-five one another as we ride unicorns into the sunset.

OT: Hopefully this rumour isn't true, because as everyone and their mum has already mentioned, it would suck hairy nuts.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
This will happen only if Superman does well. If Superman has another dud then then entire thing is scrapped.

Nolans Bat could work. He's the type who'd create Omac among other bad things Batman is responsible for. Thinking about it. I'd say the Justice League movie could use Omac or Bother Eye. That would at least keep it unique. Aliens would look too much like Avengers, and Dark Seid would look too much like Thanos for Phase 2. Omac however could screw up Marvels Phase 3 because everything for Phase 3 looks like an Ultron and The Defenders setup (see Antman and DrStrange for Phase 3). But if DC does Omac then it would look like Disney was copying/following their lead and not the other way around.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
You know, I love Nolan Batman movies as much as the next guy, but sometimes I'd like to see a guy in a bat suit fist fight with a ten foot tall alligator man. That's why the Avengers and all the connected films worked so well: The juxtaposition of the fantastic with the believable. Captain America fought in World War II, you say? But instead of fighting Hitler he fights a guy with a burned off face with laser weapons and giant stealth bombers hell bent on destroying the USA? What the hell is wrong with that? I don't want to see Cap at the front lines of the Battle of the Bulge, I want to see him throw his shield at Nazis and punch Hitler.

I just think that this whole 'Justice League' venture is doomed to failure, and why I look forward to 'Man of Steel' with an ever increasing foreboding. They're missing the point. I don't want to see Superman (The symbol of hope for the entire universe, for god's sake) go dark and gritty. You can't just look at what the Avengers did and go 'We have super-heroes, too! And they don't always get along, and have personal problems! They're just like real people! See! SEE?!?", you have to build to it, and, as of right now, they're not doing that great of a job doing so.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Would Nolan's universe really fit the tone of a full Justice League film? It could be fun, and maybe we'd get to see some Neeson again with the Lazarus Pit, but really? It just seems to be a ridiculous clash of aesthetics. Massive amounts of dissonance.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Oh hey an Aquaman joke. How original. Seriously, just because a stupid cartoon from the 70's made him seem lame doesn't make him lame. Can we find a new superhero to pick on? Maybe one that's actually lame?

OT: I'm okay with this. When they were in talks with Joseph Gordon-Levitt to play Batman in this movie I wasn't too happy. But now all is well.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
I'm still hoping to see a Justice League movie in my lifetime that feels like a Justice League movie, not a movie about a bunch of people in ridiculous superhero costumes looking lost and have no idea what the hell they are doing there.

I got to admit Nolan is a great director, but the batman in his trilogy is not batman, it's just a rich guy in a batsuit that desperately needs a lot of cough syrup. When are we gonna see a true live action batman, I mean the detective, the smart and the ridiculously crazy prepared, I know all of my team's greatest weaknesses and give him three weeks to prepare can defeat galactus goddamn batman. You know the batman from the comics.

In hindsight it seems Nolan's trilogy is sort of a double-edge sword for WB, think about it yes it did elevate the cbm medium by having an actor won an oscar by playing the Joker. And now cbm are now respected more than ever( green lantern and ghost rider:spirit of vengeance are exceptions, flame pissing seriously? ) unfortunately at the same time, his universe (or as people would like to call it the Nolanverse) leaves very little room for adding the fantastical elements of the DC universe such as aliens and greek gods and goddesses without stretching the suspension of disbelief to the limit of the common audience and pissing off fanboys.

Now its rival Marvel who released a movie that a decade ago was an impossibility not to mention they don't have the rights to their more popular characters (spiderman and x-men) and still managed to do it.

Heh, at this point WB is very desperate to put out their own super team just to capture that billion dollar pie Marvel/Disney has now been raking. On the bright side, at least I will now be able to see the Hulkbuster in live action in Iron Man 3 another thing I thought will never happen.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Not really surprised, it appears anything Nolan does turns to gold. Problem is the other Superheroes? I understand that not everyone needs a single movie (see Hawkeye & Black Widow) but surely they won't keep Green Lantern canon as it felt far different to Dark Knight and upset fans everwhere.

In addition, I feel I am alone in not liking Bale's Batman. In Dark Knigt he was amazing, but Rises felt too depressing and I really didn't like the suit (I liked they had finally embraced the "white" eyes at the end of DK)but they are just little things.

Overall I preffered Avengers as it was fun and exciting but I have faith that a JLA movie would go above and beyond that. But we shall see.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash and that dude who thinks chatting with halibut is a super power.
I'm sorry what was that about his ability to call on sea life?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aquaman+shark&hl=en&client=safari&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dPQ1Uc7ZD8m2PfLBgNAC&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=928#biv=i%7C0%3Bd%7C7cHzBgflCWgRSM%3A

(I'd have embedded but on ipad and can't figure out how to get the right link from google)

And if for some reason that isn't enough he is also super string, capable of some very fast swimming and depending on the canon he rules Atlantis.