Rumor: Wii U CPU Twice as Beefy As Xbox 360

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Wow, under powered Nintendo console? Quel suprise. I think I'll stick with my 2600k.

ShaneGunWolf

Jul 6, 2011
If the Wii U will be the only console to come out this year (if it even DOES come out), then I'll consider buying it. Until then, this year's a mystery.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Why do I get the feeling that this anonymous source is basically saying, "This apple is twice as powerful as that orange?" And I'm not referring to anything related to Steve Jobs.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
LilithSlave said:
I guess it's sorta nice, in a way. But this does not matter to me at all.

I find the focus on graphics to be a cancer on the gaming industry, and could care less about more powerful hardware at this point. Not perfectly entirely. But there's nothing special to me about further achievements in computing power for games.

If anything about looks matters, it would be aesthetic. Hello Kitty games on the NES still look amazing to me. Pokemon Red and Blue still look amazing to me. Honestly, games hit the peak in terms of looking awesome in the Super Nintendo era. Pretty much every Super Nintendo game was gorgeous as well as played well and would not benefit from better graphics much at all. That age, to me, was the pinnacle of graphics to gameplay ratio. Things looked great, things played great. And there are only a few cases where I have considered the update in graphics to be worth it, one of those rare cases being Kingdom Hearts, which sort of captured the SNES essence for me.

Which goes to show, that graphics do not matter. Only the aesthetic it is used for. Almost no games have ever made the graphics seem worth it. If anything, I lament the amount of graphical power out there being wasted on brown and ugly landscapes, sub-par facial designs, and so forth. It's a complete waste of countless hours, and for all I'm aware, all of those brown FPS games can be played in 360p and be just as fun. Pixelated? Who cares! It's a brown FPS.

On the bright side, I can count on Nintendo to use graphics in a way I care about. They would never spend more time on graphics than proper gameplay. They would not give me a brown and boring world.

And that's all I'm getting this system for. I could care less about how powerful it is. I am buying it, because it will have Nintendo games. That is all I require to buy a Nintendo system. So long as Shigeru Miyamoto is involved, it is a must buy.
I agree with you, I've always loved Nintendo's games and I've never really cared about graphics at all. As long as they keep making fun games and don't let the graphics distract from the gameplay I don't care how powerful their new system is. I'm excited about the WiiU, I can't wait until it comes out.

... That being said; it doesn't really matter too much to me right now because I couldn't afford it anyway. So I'll probably have to wait a whole before I can get it even when it does come out. T-T

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
Plus, history has shown it's not always the most powerful console that wins or produces the best games. Better hardware is not always the surefire way to have great games.
Hear hear, Mr. Omega, with one caveat. More powerful hardware is not the best way to great games. However, I would argue that the best way to great games is indeed through better hardware. It is designing better hardware architecture that makes games easier to make.

The reason the best games for any given console come out towards the end of its lifespan are because it takes devs that long just to figure the damn things out. If you (hypothetically) made a console that devs could learn to take full advantage of in a single development cycle, you would see deeper, more interesting games on the whole because the devs can focus on creating content and fine-tuning game mechanics rather than figuring out how the damn system works.

Sadly, since Nintendo has been loading all of its recent consoles down with gimmicks that tend to do the exact opposite of this, I imagine the Wii(on)U will be just about as successful as the 3DS. Sad.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
DanDeFool said:
Mr. Omega said:
Plus, history has shown it's not always the most powerful console that wins or produces the best games. Better hardware is not always the surefire way to have great games.
Sadly, since Nintendo has been loading all of its recent consoles down with gimmicks that tend to do the exact opposite of this, I imagine the Wii(on)U will be just about as successful as the 3DS. Sad.
Well that's very optimistic.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/3ds-sales-top-4-million-in-us-6348126
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/333417/japan-3ds-continues-to-dominate-sales/
http://www.1up.com/news/3ds-takes-8-months-surpass-first-year-ds-sales

Seriously, the rest of the point is valid, and there's little argument, but the "3DS is failing" is a complete BS point.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
DanDeFool said:
Mr. Omega said:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/333417/japan-3ds-continues-to-dominate-sales/

Seriously, the rest of the point is valid, and there's little argument, but the "3DS is failing" is a complete BS point.
Hm... guess I've been out of the loop.

So, any good games for it?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
DanDeFool said:
Mr. Omega said:
DanDeFool said:
Mr. Omega said:

Mostly been taking the chance to catch up on the DS backlog that's accumulated since the last time I had a DS (Ghost Trick was a particularly fun game), but I got Mario 3D Land, I rented StarFox 3D, and am waiting for Kid Icarus Uprising, the upcoming Fire Emblem game and MGS3D.

There are also some good downloadable games like Mighty Switch Force and 10 Second Runner.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Eh, it's Nintendo. It could be two wooden sticks and a 30 year old TV and people would buy it as if their lives depended on it. A unhealthy mix of fanboyism with an enormous amount of Goodwill built up as the leading player on the Video game market.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
You cant reference CPU in the title, but then not talk about it during the article. Did this developer say the CPU or Wii U was 2 times as powerful? As if we are talking about the CPU being 'only' two times more powerful, you are neglecting other areas of importance such as the GPU. If the GPU is, for example, 10 times more powerful than the 360's GPU then that would make up for shortcomings and would put the Wii U in the same range as the 720's supposed specs.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
Enough with the rumours. It will probably all turn out to be lies from the manufacturers themselves in an attempt to get people hyped up over their new console, then we will be horribly disappointed at how shit they are when they're released because our expectations are too high.
I love you. Mostly because of your avatar, but slightly for bringing reason to this thread.

Mostly the avatar though.

RazielXT

Oct 19, 2009
CPU power doesnt improve as much over time as GPU, for CPU 2 times is enough. All visuals will be treated by GPU after all.

Cpl.Flint

Mar 2, 2011
The Wii was roughly twice as powerful as the Gamecube and look where that got them. Twice as powerful is not enough. Remember, even though the 360 has HD output, everything is upscaled. The console itself can not do everything in 1080p. COD4 runs at a resolution of 600p. Halo 3 at 1152×640. Its going to take more than twice the power to hit HD properly. Especially when spoiled by the ways of PC Gaming and proper high resolutions.

Mar 30, 2010
Breaking news: Next gen console to be more powerful than current gen console.

Well done Nintendo.

But Microsoft have already released details that the new Xbox will be <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115471-Rumor-360-Successors-GPU-and-Release-Date-Detailed>six times as powerful as the current 360, so what you've effectively done there is say that the new Wii will be just as underpowered next gen as it is this gen.

*claps*

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
It can be ten times more powerful and it wouldn't matter. Gotta have matching software able to take full advantage of it's resources- like Epic did with GoW3. They're pulling every last pixel out of the Xbox 360's hardware. It's about as optimized as you can get.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
DanDeFool said:
Mr. Omega said:
DanDeFool said:
Mr. Omega said:

Mostly been taking the chance to catch up on the DS backlog that's accumulated since the last time I had a DS (Ghost Trick was a particularly fun game), but I got Mario 3D Land, I rented StarFox 3D, and am waiting for Kid Icarus Uprising, the upcoming Fire Emblem game and MGS3D.

There are also some good downloadable games like Mighty Switch Force and 10 Second Runner.
Okay, that's good, but this is kind of the problem I have with Nintendo these days. You'll notice that all the games you mentioned, with the exception of MGS, are first-party games. This is also something I noticed browsing the Amazon listings for the 3DS, mostly first-party developed/published.

Pretty much the only reason to buy a Nintendo console, ever since the N64, was because you want to play games that are developed/published by Nintendo. Good third-party support is something the Nintendo consoles just don't get these days (with the exception of the DS, of course), and I would argue it's largely because of the gimmicks.

Third party devs have to bust their asses just to get games out the door, and forcing them to use motion controls or 3D effects, or (for fuck's sake) making the second analog stick OPTIONAL just adds uncertainty to an already difficult process.

You're absolutely right (and I was wrong) that the sales figures are great and the high-quality first-party titles will probably do a lot to make the 3DS stick, but to me, having a variety of developers putting out a variety of games makes a console much more worthwhile to own (which is why I own two different PS2s). I imagine the Wii U will suffer from the same problem.

In other words, Commercial success =/= Good console.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Twice as powerful as a system that came out in 2005? Color me completely unimpressed.
Those were pretty much my thoughts. Technology has not remained stagnant over the last 7 years.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
If you ask me Nintendo making the Wii U is a "Dollar Short and a Day Late" and by a day late I mean the beginning of the N64 where Nintendo gone down hill. Yes Nintendo was dead to me before Golden Eye had a chance to get out of the gate.

Hearing now that the Wii U (still awful name by the way) has twice the hardware power of the Xbox 360 is like SNK releasing a new console that could compare to the new gen systems only to run only there usual 16 bit era titles. All for what a HD picture?

GreatTeacherCAW said:
Twice as powerful as a system that came out in 2005? Color me completely unimpressed.
I think this person said it the best.

The Xbox 360 came out 2005? It is now 2012! Shouldn't we have a Wii U that is at least 4 or 5 times as powerful as the Xbox 360, a Wii U that could put the Xbox 360 in a headlock and give it wedges.

CPU, GPU who cares, twice as powerful as a Xbox 360 when the Wii U hit will be nothing when Sony and Microsoft unveils there next console that will remind us how much the Game Cube and Wii sucked in the performance category.