Rumored Tech Specs Give Wii 2 More Power Than Xbox 360

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumored Tech Specs Give Wii 2 More Power Than Xbox 360

Rumored specs for the Wii 2 give it a touchscreen controller and hardware slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360.

Take all of the following information with a big grain of salt, but we may already know the basic specifications of Nintendo's rumored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109268-New-Nintendo-Console-Confirmed-for-E3] console that could be announced at E3 2011. French website 01net claims to have gotten its hands on some of the details behind the console, including specifics on its controller and internal hardware.

The site says that the Wii 2, for lack of a better term, is called "Project Cafe" inside of Nintendo. The system is said to be considered slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360. It reportedly includes a three-core custom IBM PowerPC CPU, an ATI R700 GPU, and 512 MB of RAM. *Update* 01net only speculates about the amount of RAM and the type of ATI GPU.

Rumored backwards compatibility with the Wii had fans wondering how it would be handled, as Wii Remotes require a sensor bar to be read. Project Cafe's controller will allegedly take care of that problem. The controller is not only said to have a 6-inch HD touchscreen embedded, but a camera, D-pad, 2 bumpers, 2 triggers, and "possibly more," while also doubling as a sensor bar. It sounds like a bit much, but is entirely possible.

Keep in mind that this is speculation about a speculated product. However, if true, it hints toward a console that adds features from handheld gaming to the home console experience. Nintendo could revolutionize the industry once again with Project Cafe, and possibly bring more hardcore gamers along for the ride this time.

Source: CVG [http://www.01net.com/editorial/531660/project-cafe-la-wii-2-de-nintendo-aura-une-tablette-pour-manette/]

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
So ? in a year Microsoft will probably release a new Xbox by 2013 so it really doesn't matter.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So where does this leave the PS3 in terms of power?

Also its not good to trust speculation.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
It reportedly includes a three-core custom IBM PowerPC CPU, an ATI R700 GPU, and 512 MB of RAM.
Please let this just be a rumour, that is some woefully atrocious hardware. Only 512 mb and an old graphics processor. (Seriously, the R700 was two generations ago.) Personally i'm hoping it contains some of that sexy new AMD Fusion hardware but it's probably to early for those.

Controller with touch screen sounds interesting though.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
I should hope it would be more powerful than a 7 year old system.

-m

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Definitely needs more RAM. Kick it up to at least 2GB, Nintendo. You don't even have one of these specifications are correct!

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I like how it went from being more powerful than PS3 and Xbox 360 to being barely more powerful than an Xbox 360 in a single day.

Euhan01

Mar 16, 2011
Sounds interesting. Nice to see them try to catch up with hardcore gamers again with improved power, but still try and be creative with this controller. Dunno if it will be work, but never now.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
I should hope it would be more powerful than a 7 year old system.

-m
That was my first thought upon seeing the headline. If it's not more powerful than the 360, they are doing something very wrong.

Tom Goldman said:
Rumored backwards compatibility with the Wii had fans wondering how it would be handled, as Wii Remotes require a sensor bar to be read. Project Cafe's controller will allegedly take care of that problem. The controller is not only said to have a 6-inch HD touchscreen embedded, but a camera, D-pad, 2 bumpers, 2 triggers, and "possibly more," while also doubling as a sensor bar. It sounds like a bit much, but is entirely possible.
Oh boy, I sure hope that doesn't turn out to be true. I don't want to be paying $100 or more for an extra controller because it has everything but the kitchen sink on it.

On the plus side, if the controller has a touch screen, maybe we could see a DS Player to follow up the GameCube's GameBoy Player?

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Put any hardware you have in a top-range PC into the new Wii and there you have it, better than the 360.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Well I would hope so since this is the first machine for a new console generation. Then microsoft and sony will release their consoles that will technically kick the wee2's ass. That's the trend anyways.

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
512mb ram if you read the article is the minimum based on what the processor needs and supports but as long as it's a good Processor I'll be happy i never expect bleeding edge performance from Nintendo but I do expect something more powerful than the current generation

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
A touchscreen embedded in the controller? No thank you. I don't see what they could use that for, something similar to the Dreamcast's controller maybe?

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
That hardware is horrible by today's standards. I was hoping for something about twice as powerful as the 360, and this is just a sidegrade really.

Apparently Nintendo learned nothing when their entire hardcore fanbase left them after the Wii.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Wieke said:
It reportedly includes a three-core custom IBM PowerPC CPU, an ATI R700 GPU, and 512 MB of RAM.
Please let this just be a rumour, that is some woefully atrocious hardware. Only 512 mb and an old graphics processor. (Seriously, the R700 was two generations ago.) Personally i'm hoping it contains some of that sexy new AMD Fusion hardware but it's probably to early for those.

Controller with touch screen sounds interesting though.
These are consoles we're talking about, the hardware isn't usually that up to date to begin with.

But yes, controller with a touch screen? Spiffy.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Since this console would be counted as nintendos "next Gen" offering why would they set the bar so low. I mean Hell my computer has nearly 3 gigs of video procession, 12 gigs of ram and a pretty nice cpu. By the time they have the real next gen consoles out itll probably put my pc to shame.

Enter the race looking like what you should have been last gen might just sign the death warrant on nintendo. I miss my console Brand I miss my nintendo, but they sold their souls for a cheap machine marketed to the infantile and the senile. If I wanted to deal with shovelware Id pick up some shifts as a landscaper