RuneScape Gets Pricier

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I was planning on becoming a member for a month just so I could continue building the place in Minecraft. This is a bit annoying...
It will be long after February before I get anywhere near being up to the members bits.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Runescape will forever hold a warm place in my heart, it was my first MMO and what got me into all of Blizzard's games. Ah nostalgia.

That being said, my word that game is a piece of shit. When me and a few of my friends played it for ironic lulz a few months back, I was surprised that thing still had a subscription cost given how outdated it is.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Dagnius said:
I hope these 'Ambitions Plans' include re-writing the game into a better engine, making the game less Clicky/Mousey, and/or at least make it more interesting... I used to play this game UNHEALTHILY too much during my middle-school years and Now that I look back, I don't see how I did it. I've tried playing a while back and I made a new character: A pure mage. But of course at the time the Wild had been removed so people were telling me I was stupid and that I should min/max all my skills and equipment to level up etc etc etc.... That is, WHEN I found someone to talk to. Everyone I came across was either sprinting from harvest nodes to the bank repeatedly and silently, standing silent in the bank, or were all(what I assumed to be) 13 year-old kids asking for GF's or girls' phone numbers. I found myself bored, in motivated. I could go mine some ore, make some armor and perhaps give it to newbies- Oh no I couldn't Trade Limits crushed my charity. Okay, so I could sell it on the Grand Exchange, Bam, Armor's sold, have a few coins in my bag, NOW what to do..? /rambling - I've heard a lot has been changed/reimplemented though.

I'll definitely have to check back in to see what Jagex does with the game, and Eight Bucks isn't that bad. If you have the will and patience for it, 8 bucks is WELL worth it for all of the content in that game. Back when I played the 5 dollar fee was robbery on my part, And up til now they've only been adding more and more.
I stopped playing about 5 years ago which was just before they imposed the trade limit and later removed the wilderness. I actually went back on it not that long ago to see if anything had changed, and they've almost completely redesigned it. Wilderness is back and the trade limits have been removed. So if you were concidering playing now would be a good time before the price hike :p

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Sewer Rat said:
Wait wait wait.... People still play Runescape?
This was my exact reaction when I found a guy in my uni course who still plays. Most people just moved on, its weird that its still around.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Why do people play this game still... it was awesome in its time and when I was like 10 but now its just awful and outdated.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
This seems like a strange thing to do, if Runescape wants more members, they should occasionally throw their free to play members a bone, I dont think Jagex hasgiven F2P members anything for years now. I mean give them access to really old members stuff, that way they might go, hey maybe it is worth it to pay for this.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
I'm not surprised it's still going. I know people who still play it and have invested a LOT of subscription money into it. I stopped playing in what, 2005?

I pop on the website from time to time to have a look what kind of ridiculous power creep stuff is going on, but seldom log in. Not worth the time nor effort, as it's a ridiculously unintuitive game. So clicky and cumbersome. Would highly benefit from an action RPG control scheme, WASD etc.

Big plans for 2012? I'm calling Runescape mobile edition right now. Play the full game from a mobile. Couldn't take up much bandwidth.

Jul 13, 2011
What a terrible shame. I actually like the game these days, I only recently canceled my subscription these last couple months due to Skyrim taking up all of my time on the computer. I was considering coming back, but certainly not with this news in the air.

As much as I like this game, the fact it was very cheap to play was one of the stronger things it had going for it. With them wanting $8 a month for it, I might as well just go get a premium subscription to Turbine's DDO: It's a far better game and has a much better community for $2 more than Runescape would cost.

I personally am disappointed with Jagex.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
People still play this game?! My brother quit this when he was 13.
Of course people still play this game. As long as people keep having kids, there will still be an abundance of children to play. That's just simple logic there, bud.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
An MMO getting more expensive with its monthly fee?

This is odd, considering trends of the past few years.

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
Runescape still exists?

People still play it?

People still *pay* to play it?

I'm not sure which of those three surprises me the most.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
ShaneGunWolf said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Wasn't Runescape originally free to play, or am I confused?
It's still free-to-play, but with a subscription, it'll basically unlock much more things to do in the world.
And by "much more things" you mean "more skills to grind". Runescape was fucking boring as a Free to play, and it somehow manages to get even WORSE when you pay.

DPeteD

May 29, 2011
Jagex's new project is meant to be a new sci-fi space MMO called stellar dawn (orginally called mech scape) which is MEANT to be less grindtastic, aimed at a more mature audience, (thank god) and updated visuals and what not.

Sounds good, cant wait myself I enjoyed runescape when I was younger but some teaser footage of the cancelled mechscape wasent very encouraging.