Runic: Torchlight II Levels Three Times Bigger Than Original

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
GoGo_Boy said:
That was an interesting rad SonofSeth,
and truely those "neo nerd hipster douchebags" go on my nerve. People can support Indi Devs as much as they want but praising a game that's somewhat terrible in a lot aspects just because it is done by the innocent and suppressed developer Runic instead of say the Monsters that call themselves EA, Activision, Blizzard etc. takes the cake.

Those guys didn't improve anything upon Diablo II for Torchlight. They just copied most concepts and made them worse. Even the once that were already hugely flawed in Diablo II. There's even more potion spamming in Torchlight (which absolutely kills balance and possible combat variety). The item drop rate is beyond ridiculous and at the same time almost no item is worth shit of course. Instead of already badly done Mercs they put in pets which... well they're actually useful to get rid of the previously mentioned useless items, I guess.
Runic took the "randomized items!" idea way to far. I couldn't even care for any of my items because they didn't hold any value. It didn't even matter if I found a new I think purple item that was supposed to be high tier. Because duo to it's completely randomized attributes it wasn't any better then the rest of the stuff I got.
And on top of that you were able to easily enchant your crappy items to lol-what god tier level.

Whatever, I could go on and on. That game is so ridiculously flawed and being created by a small Studio and released for a small price doesn't change that. But them neo nerd hipster douchbags... (love that term).
They even don't care about the fact that Runic actually already messed up a title called Hellgate London when they basically just had a different name.
So because someone enjoys a game by an indie developer, that automatically makes them a 'neo nerd hipster douchebag' if they give them any kind of praise for it? Obviously you aren't a believer in the value of the subjective experience, and therefore there can be no conclusion other than that Torchlight sucked and anyone claiming to have enjoyed it is just being pretentious to align themselves with the 'indie' crowd.

That's the same kind of close-minded thinking you're accusing these people of. How ironic. I enjoyed my first playthrough of Torchlight, but found it didn't have much replay value because the character classes and items were too homogenous. That said, I thought it made an important contribution to the action RPG genre by properly balancing the game so that at higher levels your basic 'trash' mobs didn't take hours to kill like in Diablo and Titan Quest. Some people take the view that this makes it too easy, but I like the principle of the idea: don't make basic mobs a chore, make them a test of your efficiency to carve through, and save the difficulty for the elite creatures and boss monsters. That way you strike a good balance between challenging the player and letting them feel like a crazy badass. For that reason I think Torchlight deserves some praise. And hey, any company that actually releases a demo for Mac in this day and age deserves at least a little support.