Running up the score equals bullying?

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Makes me sad if someone actually believed that this was bullying, no i'm sorry, your team just sucks in comparison to the other team who might have been the best in the league or whatever.

I remember in grade 9 that our football team was the best in our league (not in the province, we got our asses handed to us in provincials). But in our regular non-provincial title games we were clearly the best in the league and that's how we were coached to be, THE BEST if we didn't go all out every play or in every drill then our coach would get pissed. Our team was so good when I was in grade 9 that the rookies (i.e me and lots of others) played as often as the veterans did, we would normally take over for the 2nd half of the game and even then we would still normally mop the floor with them, and that was against grade 11's and 12's.

Sure none of our games were ever 91-0 but we did score in the 30's and 40's if I remember correctly, and nobody ever bitched that we were"Bullying" them, I believe that people are actively seeking out things to ***** and get butthurt over nowadays and I'm only 23, i'm not going to say "back in my day", or "the good old days" because I don't really think I'm old enough to really say it but damn if this is what is considered "bullying" now I feel sad

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Has anyone said that this is bullying? Every comment I have seen has said no, but I haven't read them all before making a post, so...

Obviously not. This is no more bullying than winning at any other game is. Maybe if the winning team went over and started mocking the losing team, took their seats, and pushed them in the mud after stealing their lunch money, I would call it bullying. But merely beating the other team badly? No. It's called being the better team. It happens all over the world of sports.

What do they want? The other team to allow them to stay within 10 points of them so they don't look bad? Do they want that to be a rule? Wouldn't that be just as unfair to the winning team and undermine the point?

And I now have the image of a team with a nine point lead, when the opponent's fumble and the players acting like the ball is deadly and actively trying to avoid claiming it for fear of the rules.

If you don't want to see a game go so over the top in scoring, maybe you should institute a Mercy Rule. Say that if one team has a lead of more than, as a random selecting, 35 points, you call the game. It would be every bit as insulting to your team, but at least they wouldn't have to suffer such unfair treatment as losing, right?

Dirty Hipsters said:
shootthebandit said:
91-0 is that even possible? Theyd have to score a goal a minute
American football, they'd have to get 13 touchdowns at 7 points each.

I mean, that's still absolutely ridiculous, I don't think I've ever even seen a game that went over 50.
There were a couple college games that were about 70ish-o about a month or so ago. By which I mean one was 74-0 and another was 72-0 and I think there were a few others at or near that. And keep in mind, that's at the College level. So, the level of skill should be considerably higher than high school.

Also, a Touchdown is 6 points. After the Touchdown you're allowed to go for an Extra Point by kicking it into the field goal or 2 if you can run it in one attempt. Meaning a Touchdown can be worth 6-8 points depending on the success of the followup.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Saltyk said:
Also, a Touchdown is 6 points. After the Touchdown you're allowed to go for an Extra Point by kicking it into the field goal or 2 if you can run it in one attempt. Meaning a Touchdown can be worth 6-8 points depending on the success of the followup.
Eh, didn't feel like explaining that part, since it always seems to confuse people who don't know American football. Besides, no one ever goes for the run when they have pretty much a sure thing with a kick.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Absolutely not bullying.

The most you can do in that situation is stop putting the score on the board at say 30-40 points. Try and do anything more, and you've just ruined competition. If you don't think your kid could handle the trauma of losing, then take him off the field.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
I would hate to say, but if numerous shows, books, stories, and life experiences have taught me anything, its that it is MORE humiliating to fight against someone who is pulling their punches than it is to lose against someone giving their best. Sure 91-0 is dismal, but fighting against the odds is something I like to shoot for, as for the drama that circles around that sort of thing, people love underdogs.

Is it bullying? No, both teams know the rules to the game, and from all accounts (anon dad aside) they both played their best. Just because one team didn't do well in the least, doesn't mean the other team was being mean or ugly about it.

Is the winning team in the wrong for its actions? No. Unless the winning team was at the line doing serious gross amounts of emotional/verbal/physical abuse I don't see any wrong or bullying activity. People play against adverse conditions all the time, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

edit: In my experience, people are more passionate about football than most personal romances.

double edit all the way across the sky: My first example of fighting and pulling punches and whatnot is meant to be read as "Fighting on an equal plane" the plane being the game of football with clear rules/regulations.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
... can I sue someone like Bill Gates for having a significantly larger net worth than me because I feel he is bullying me?

Because if so then I approve of this new system, I could do with some more money in an undeserved fashion.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Akytalusia said:
reality check's are not bullying. they're enlightening. now the losing team has a better understanding of their position. this information should be used to develop appropriate countermeasures to compensate for their weaknesses. if they don't learn from this event, then they'll have wasted it.
I partly disagree here, actually. If you got mowed down so hard you don't even know what hit you, you'll be hard pressed to prepare for it next time, since you don't know what it was.

But I fully agree that unless they get at least some lessons out of it, if only "Don't think pipe dreams happen in reality", then it's a complete waste.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Wait, they put there second and even third teams in, and it was still a slaughter? At some point you have to put the onus on yourself and stop the other team. No that isn't "bullying." I don't think it could really be called bullying even if they left the starters in all game really. poor sports absolutely, but bullies? No to call it "bullying" is just plain ridiculous. I blame this "everyone is a winner, hand out medals and trophies just for showing up" culture.

Brian Tams said:

Christ, I hope this doesn't become the same bullshit where that Girls Basketball team got shutout in a basketball game, and the school felt so bad that they gave them medals. For getting shutout in basketball.

Hell, I think the coach of the other team got fired for that.
I think the coach of the team that pitched the shutout was fired. was that who you were talking about? If so, that is messed up. It is hard to get a shutout in just about any sport. But basketball? that coach's team accomplished the nigh impossible, and s/he gets canned for it!
SecondPrize said:
It's poor sportsmanship. The reason this score stands out is because most teams wouldn't be dicks enough to do this. Still not bullying, just a hefty dose of douche.
Poor sportsmanship? if they had left the starters in, absolutely. But they put in the second and even third team, and were still running rampant. At some point the opposing team has to show some pride in itself and stop the other team.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
It's poor sportsmanship. The reason this score stands out is because most teams wouldn't be dicks enough to do this. Still not bullying, just a hefty dose of douche.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Well, obviously the winning team is guilty of bullying. Don't you realize that by winning or, beating another team you aren't creating or maintaining an environment of fairness wherein everybody is a winner?

Sarcasm: The parent in question needs to get over it. The team likely already has, their coach has likely already told them to get over it. They were playing a top-rated team after all and most importantly, it's just a game. A high school game. I'm probably missing a point somewhere though...I only just realized that some people take college sports seriously so maybe there are people who take high school sports seriously too...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
SecondPrize said:
I'm curious; what could they have done to be less unsporting?

They pulled their starters in the first quarter (their best player, the running back, had five touches total in the entire game)
They pulled their second stringers

Short of telling your team to just punt each time they go on offense, I don't see how you could possibly go any easier on the team than they did.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Never play a game if you aren't ready to loose. I don't go into a Starcraft II match and then report people for being too good.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
This is ridiculous.

I played football for 3 years in high-school, and for my senior year, we were one of the best teams in the state. I wound up on the winning end of 40-0, 50-0, and even a 60-0 game. But my sophomore year....We weren't so hot. We got pounded by similar scores in a couple games.

No matter which side you're on, those games just aren't fun. I can confirm this. If you're losing... well, you're getting pounded and there's seemingly nothing you can do about it. If you're winning, it looks bad, and feels worse, since it's not competitive, and you do feel bad about putting up numbers like that. That coach did everything he could to take his foot off the gas, and still it happened. That isn't his fault, it's the other teams' for not being able to do anything. Sucks that it had to happen, but there is NO WAY that this is bullying.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I actually considered posting this very article the other day...then said "Ehhhh fuck it" :p

The short answer is, no, running up the score doesn't constitute bullying. If anything, the kid of the mother who filed those charges will likely get bullied now because his mother did that.

According to the coach of the winning team, he did pretty much everything in his power to NOT run up the score. Pretty much the only thing left he could have done was said "Alright boys, just....just stop playing all together."

Even the coach of the other team says that the charges are unfounded, saying "They're #1 for a reason".

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
You know whats funny? The coach actually actively tried to make the game easier on the losing team once he saw how his 1st string offense/defense performed. So he put in the 2nd string and when they whupped up on the other team he benched the 2nd string and PUT IN THE 3RD STRING.
If your team can't even handle the 3rd string, the C-list of players, well... your team just sucks.
I learned a lot about life through failure and adversity, and was never protected from it by parents or other family members. My grandfather taught me how to lose with grace and learn from each loss by teaching me chess and wiping the floor with me every game we ever played, and that was 100's of games. I learned every time, but never won. And I don't feel bullied at all. My high school football team that I played on was shit, we had mostly short white guys (small private Christian school in the Florida Keys) and one black guy from the Virgin Islands so he didn't count. Our opponents were south Miami teams of kids who outweighed us by about 100+ lbs on the average. Suffice to say we got our collective asses handed to us every game, but I never felt bullied.
Stupid "everybody gets a trophy" liberal bullshit. There's a huge difference between real bullying (which I experienced in school and had nothing to do with winning or losing) and competition. This stupid stupid ideal only teaches kids that they don't have to work hard at anything because they will get the same reward for "just showing up".

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
elvor0 said:
krazykidd said:
I don't understand . I read the spoilers and still don't i'm honestly asking this question . What exactly is being considered as bullying. I will reply with an answer when i fully understand.
Better than me. I don't even understand what was going on...something about handegg? And there were stringers...and a clock with legs? I've never heard the word stringer in my mind, but the first thing that comes to mind is a very very thin stripper. Seriously, if I hadn't been told it was about american football that paragraph would've been tantamount to lunacy to my ears.
Yopaz said:
The team at my elementary school which played real football (or soccer) managed to lose with the score 0-31 and that's really a whole lot for a sport where 3 goals in a game is considered a lot. The opposing team even made sure everyone would score, even the goalie which is something that shouldn't happen.
You wot? I've never played football in my life, but even my horrendously bad matches on FIFA vs Ultra Hard Bots never ended that badly. Were the opposing team all quadriplegics?
That would make sense, but there's no such excuse. The team was simply made out of all the people you would want to be on the bench rather than the field. It really is a conundrum why they're actually playing though.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
shootthebandit said:
91-0 is that even possible? Theyd have to score a goal a minute
American football, they'd have to get 13 touchdowns at 7 points each.

I mean, that's still absolutely ridiculous, I don't think I've ever even seen a game that went over 50.
Sounds unlikely, but not totally ridiculous to me. If we divide that up, that's about 3 touchdowns every quarter. So either they were able to shut down the other teams offense fast, or they were making a lot of interceptions. Either way, the other team wasn't handling the ball well.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Saucycarpdog said:
Sounds unlikely, but not totally ridiculous to me. If we divide that up, that's about 3 touchdowns every quarter. So either they were able to shut down the other teams offense fast, or they were making a lot of interceptions. Either way, the other team wasn't handling the ball well.
If the losing team often grounded the ball with inaccurate passes, or sent it out of bounds, the clock didn't really move much between their downs. 3 TDs per quarter are actually not that unlikely if you're hogging all the actual clock time because the other team's drive is over in under two minutes despite them having gone through all four downs.

Sep 9, 2007
That is a huge margin, but not bullying... well not by itself anyway. I've had something similar happen to me (The scoreline, not accusations of bullying), when I was playing Under 15's AFL in my local league. I don't remember the scoreline exactly, but we only scored 9 points for the game (1 goal, 3 behinds) and they scored in the vicinity of 12 - 15 goals (72 - 90 points, not including behinds). It was pretty embarrassing at the time, but we got over it pretty quickly and no one was accused of bullying, even though the opposition wasn't letting up on us at all.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Phrozenflame500 said:
Also, Off-Topic: how come every source I find for everything on the internet is a hardcore conservative new site? I mean, this story has nothing to do with politics and the article is fine, but it's somewhat aggravating to scroll down and finding people blaming Women/Liberals/The Economy/Handouts/"Barrack Osama"/Medicare/Communists (really) for this.
Try the following:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk

http://www.independent.co.uk/

For something a bit more American try:

http://www.nytimes.com/

Interestingly enough the Capcha for this is "Left Right"... I do enjoy it when that kind of thing happens.