Russian Roulette Comes To Kinect

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Russian Roulette Comes To Kinect

[vimeo=35782736]​

Somehow, this doesn't seem like what Microsoft had in mind when it came to amateur designers playing with Kinect technology.

One of Microsoft's big selling points for the Kinect's crossover to PC is that amateur developers can use the device to create all sorts of new programs. Some of these are insanely brilliant, like that guy who turned <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.255079-Software-Designer-Turns-Kinect-into-Cheap-Motion-Capture-Rig>the Kinect into an affordable motion capture system. However, not all creations are quite so impressive (or tasteful). Witness: Kinect Russian Roulette.

Russian Roulette, in case you haven't heard of it before, is a (potentially) lethal game that's played with a revolver. You load one bullet in the gun, spin the cylinder, place the muzzle against your head, and pull the trigger. Now, onto the Kinect version.

The hack is an art project by Theo Watson, who created it for Art Hack Day. Watson created the hack over a few short hours, using openFrameworks 007 and ofxKinect. Essentially, the Kinect recognizes both your face and your hand (shaped like a handgun). Now, the kinect will also recognize your thumb mimicking the action of a gun's hammer, and a virtual round is fired. As a result, you have a 1/6 (or, in this case, 1/8) chance of blowing yourself to a digital Kingdom Come.

I'm not the only one who sees this becoming the next great party game, am I? Or at least an opportunity for mainstream news pundits to once again condemn the evils of videogames.

Source: Geek

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
That honestly looks pretty fun, a nice game to play with a few friends on a free night...still wouldn't make me buy a Kinect, but whatever. At least it helped me remember this gem:

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
You just know there will be some sort of family group that just won't be able to understand the humor in it and label it the next level of hell.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well maybe its one step closer to making sure that no one plays real Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic [http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2000-04.html] again.

DVS BSTrD said:
What kind of revolver has eight chambers?
Well if i had to be critical of the revolvers simply brilliant overall design, the first place i would start is its limited ammo capacity.

Also a more direct answer, revolver-magazine grenade launchers.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This sounds awesome, now all we need is a re-make of Persona 3: FES that exploits it.

You can point a "gun" at your head in front of your screen and say "Persona" to make your guy attack... it will be awesome. :)

Actually in a sick way I'm enough of a SMT fan where I'd probably actually do that and have fun.

Still, this seems almost like yesterday's contreversy.

The thing is that the gaming media, and the media in general, needs to grow the heck up. People do offensive things with computers to get a rise out of people, we've known this since the days of the bloody Apple 2. If you give people attention it just encourages other people to up the ante in hopes of getting their 30 seconds of fame. The guy making "Kinect Russian Roulette" is just the new face of stunts like guys making "Assault On Smurf Village" or "Castle Smurfenstein" for the Commodore 64, albiet updated for the new technology.

See, by covering things like this the geek media simply makes it more likely that the mainstream media will notice, and it will actually become an issue.

Such are my thoughts.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Antari said:
You just know there will be some sort of family group that just won't be able to understand the humor in it...
You expect a game like this to trigger some backlash.
This one. [http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=250&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=LF2]

OT: Could be a drinking game. Get shot, take a shot.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
You know, i would love this as a full game.
You can play it online, and you gain points for every trigger pull? ((x2 multiplier after 4 pulls in a row)) Online scoreboards anyone?

xXR3AP3RD4RKNESSXx Has pulled the trigger 590: Has only died 41 times.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Suicide rates going up? Probably not because educated students are finding out that they can't get a job after graduation and are in debt. Totally video games, ban them all.

/sarcasm

Still, kind of thought something like this might pop up.

AlohaJo

Nov 3, 2010
I would love to see a Wii version of russian roulette pop up. I can imagine the amount of sick glee I'd get as I blow my Mii's head off...

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I refuse to acknowledge this until I see a youtube video of Robert DeNiro and Christopher Walken playing it...

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Antari said:
You just know there will be some sort of family group that just won't be able to understand the humor in it...
You expect a game like this to trigger some backlash.
There are several 8 shot revolvers. Taurus makes a .357 with 8 shots. Smith and Wesson make one or two eight shot. I have an old .22 I inherited that is a 9 shot.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Psh, you should play some Borderlands. My revolver shoots seven bullets PER CHAMBER.

Ultramatic

Jan 12, 2010
The Deer Hunter caused Russian Roulette to spread, I wonder what effect this will have on people?

Freaking love that movie.