Rusty Ethics

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Ironically, Rust is the one Early Access survival game I purposely skipped because I though it looked boring. I figured I didn't need another one seeing as I bought DayZ, Nether, and 7 Days to Die, however Rust seems to be the one everyone praises the most. Figures.

Not that I regret my purchases. I enjoy each of them in different ways. The only problem is that inevitably, every vocal part of the forum communities are absolutely drooling idiots and people crying when the game is too hard for them.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
That's the second Critical Miss in a row that gave me a smile and a chuckle. Good stuff!

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Kalezian said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Ironically, Rust is the one Early Access survival game I purposely skipped because I though it looked boring. I figured I didn't need another one seeing as I bought DayZ, Nether, and 7 Days to Die, however Rust seems to be the one everyone praises the most. Figures.

Not that I regret my purchases. I enjoy each of them in different ways. The only problem is that inevitably, every vocal part of the forum communities are absolutely drooling idiots and people crying when the game is too hard for them.

Rust is only hard in the sense that you literally only start with a rock, a medpack, and a torch. that's it.

Weapons, clothing, shelters, all of that is made from the resources you gather with your rock.

Now, if that didn't seem daunting, you also got wolves, bears, and the seldom zombie placeholder that will attack you.

Even then, if you do manage to build a half decent shelter, get a hatchet and maybe a pistol, and of course the ever elusive pants that people first make so they are not completely nude, then you have to worry about other players going the easy route and just taking what you worked to make.

Whereas DayZ you just have to be lucky and find a place that has either respawned items or hasn't been looted yet.

Both are good games, both show just how dickish people would be in a post apocalyptic scenario, but they are different enough that a fan of ether game would enjoy the other.
I was planning on buying Rust once it gets towards completion. I just have too many Early Access alpha games to keep up with right now, and unfortunately Rust didn't make it for me. I've been watching Markiplier play it, and it certainly does look like something I've be interested in, but things have happened and I don't have the cash for it right now.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I have to be honest, I don't really 'get' this new genre of games sweeping the market. Everything I've seen of them just seems downright boring as hell. I'd rather play a structured, finished game with clear goals like State of Decay. You're a survivor, here's some zombies, here's some other survivors, here's a base, here's some missions. Have fun. As opposed to, you're a naked guy in a huge empty map and when you finally find another player, there's a good chance they will bash your head in to take your rock.

HOW IS THAT FUN?

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
AldUK said:
I have to be honest, I don't really 'get' this new genre of games sweeping the market. Everything I've seen of them just seems downright boring as hell. I'd rather play a structured, finished game with clear goals like State of Decay. You're a survivor, here's some zombies, here's some other survivors, here's a base, here's some missions. Have fun. As opposed to, you're a naked guy in a huge empty map and when you finally find another player, there's a good chance they will bash your head in to take your rock.

HOW IS THAT FUN?
It's all the thrill of hardcore surviving without actually risking your life. I'm not sure how to explain it to someone who doesn't get it, because every time I have has been a lost cause, but really, it's just nice to play a game that's hard because of the other people. It's all the thrill of intense, online combat combined with survival elements. It's not really meant for those that can't stand losing to someone else.

There's nothing wrong with not getting it, I can see why someone wouldn't want to. Either because they don't have the time to constantly start over, or just don't like the difficulty. It's all perfectly fine. But like anything, there's going to be a group of people who find these games really fun.

For example, I don't see why people enjoy League of Legends, or Kerbal Space Program, or pretty much any MMO, but I know that there's tons of people who do enjoy those games.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I kind of want to try this one out, but I'm hesitant. I remember trying DayZ and being disappointed, though looking back, that was probably more because of the broken interface and overall glitchiness. I dunno - maybe if it goes on sale.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
AldUK said:

HOW IS THAT FUN?
'cause if you catch them unawares you can bash their heads in. Then nick their stuff and use it to build a house.

Does anyone know if fire has been implemented yet? I think that might be a problem if you can only build wooden houses.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Erm...erm, erm, errrm, they are wearing those potato sacks.

Wait, what do you mean the game has no women in it! Man, the futures a right sausage fest...

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Well, having looked at the Steam page, Rust looks like it WOULD be a great game to play. If it had a single-player mode.