RWBY Review: Heroes and Monsters

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Since Izanagi stopped doing the reviews, I figure I'll do it since I liked the series since its inception, though I admit that the animation quality has plummeted since Monty Oum's tragic death.

I'm also one of the belief that story is good, but action is better, especially for a series like this. If you're an action show, you can have a barebones story, as long as the action makes up for it.

Unfortunately, the third season had a slow build, though the payoff is finally here. On with the review, with less BlazBlue references and more sarcasm.

OVERVIEW
Well, we get an action stuffed 18 minute episode. Ruby gets her duel with Torchwick and Neo, and takes an ass kicking for the most of it. Torchwick's power has gone up and down before, but he showed how dangerous he can be, beating the main character around like a drum. A few moments felt like a visceral impact had been intended, but dropped. They could have added tension to the scene, and the animation skips where they are remain jarring. Ruby does get a clever moment of dispatching Neo for the rest of the fight, but Torchwick... gets a Deep Blue Sea moment.

Beating down Ruby, giving a speech about how the world is cruel and he plans on surviving it... and gets eaten by a Grimm mid sentence. Which Ruby then one-shots.

Oy vey. Not a graceful end to what was a good fight. Poor form, RWBY team.

Battle 2 is the mini-army of students fighting off the enemies. Again, the inability to show speed in a good way makes the fight seem clumsy. I may not always agree with Izanagi, but I do on that one. The big takeaway from the fight is the fan character Velvet finally gets to show off her weapon. We learn why she couldn't use it before: every weapon she ever took a picture of is stored as a hard light construct in her camera. When she summons it, the data vanishes afterwards. So she gets everyone's weapon... once. Then she was to reload the camera with pictures. So she shows it off and frags two giant mechs. Good showing here.

Battle 3 is Adam versus Blake, which is a one-sided beatdown. Adam comes off as creepy and stalkerish, which I guess was the intention. That said, Blake takes a pounding, Yang jumps in, and Adam promises Blake he'll destroy everything she cares about... before leaving Yang a little lopsided. "6 pounds... 7 pounds... I dunno, how much does an arm weigh?" (Bonus points if you get the reference). Blake retreats with her semblence, taking Yang with her, but it was a fairly decisive Worfing of Yang by Adam.

Battle 4 is the teachers taking out Grimm. Not a lot of stuff here, only a 90 second scene.

Battle 5 is the doozy. Pyrrha, Ozpin, and Jaunne head to the maiden's chamber, get Pyrrha strapped in... and Cinder kills the maiden and steals the remaining half of the power. Ozpin tells the students to run and prepares to face Cinder one on one for the finale.

Overall, the episode did a good job of showing off some good fights, set up a season finale where the bad guys look to come out on top, and wreck the status quo. Animation was choppy in a lot of parts, and I don't think that will change since Monty is gone, but the opening fight between Ruby and Torchwick showed improvement in that area (which went away as the episode went along, but a step is a step). Speed continues to kill the look in most cases, and Jaunne's running animation is just plain ugly. Overall, good action, and I look forward to seeing Ozpin get completely smashed in the finale.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Oh poor Torchwick.
A casualty by writing... and not the good kind.
If you ask me. The villains should have been a trio team, led by Mercury. We got the confrontation between him and Ruby a few episodes back, why not have him be the main villain here. They could do so much more when it comes to Torchwick, like, I don't know, move him to neutral territory. Have him "be the dick for money" guy.

As for his death.
That's just bad writing.
Ruby should have been forced to kill him or something.
Also Neo... I'm surprised she had that much mercy for a villain. Should have jabbed Ruby in the shoulder or something... especially since Blake and Yang get injured later.

It could have been better with another villain, then you could have had Torchwick escape with Neo (maybe because the monsters/Grimm are increasing by the second, and he likes her. Well, that's what I got from him calling her name), and then have a big battle with Mercury.

The next battle. It wasn't bad, it was pretty okay. Velvet's (I keep forgetting everyone's name, so thanks for reminding me) weapon reveal was cool, the whole jack of all trades is pretty neat... until she steal Weiss' new/family ability. Now that's just a dick move. :p

We'll probably see her use it later though, so whatever.
Still, not much to complain about there... apart from that there are still so many characters. I barely even remember Neptune's name.

The Adam and Blake scene was rather neat. More emotional than a battle... I don't really call that a battle. Still, it was cool, and neat to see some bloodshed (also that reminds me. Is it me, or do they shy away from actually showing the blade sinking into flesh/fur? Either way, that might have made this a bit more of a deeper impact). A shame that Adam's "inspiration" is simply "I'm killing everything you love. :3"

Teacher battle, nice to see Krow's second form... and ... uh... that other guy's metal body.
I don't remember his name.
This is what happens when you introduce characters too quickly!
Bah.

The Pyrrha scene ain't even a battle.
Someone just gets full on killed via arrow.
I mean, it's a little disappointing. Cinder just jumps in and kills them while Jaunne looks away. It would have been neat to see Jaunne actually take up her as a challenge. We could have even have seen his power (unless he already has one and I forgot it), which could have been an impenetrable field. That would have been able to test his resolve to protect his team (/love interest).

But nope... just and arrow right to the heart, she steals the power, and Jaunne and Pyrrha leave.

Overall, it was better than usual.
The writing is still as usual.
And the finale is looking as you said. Villains will win, and the teams will be scattered to the wind. Well, that's what I got from the opening.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm not so convince that is the last time we will see of Touchwich (remember that guy getting eaten by the baby Kaiju from Pacific Rim) but on the other hand I won't be suprised if he does stayed dead. At this point of the series, he is no longer the main antogonist that is if he was the main villain in the first place.

I find the students stuggling to fight the mech somewhat inconsistant. I mean Team RWBY took one out piloted by Touchwich and several of them couldn't defeat two of them? Ok yes several of them bunch together is not as coordinated as a team that knows each other. Still I just find it weird that they are struggling to something that isn't threatening or powerful.

Also I felt Velvet ability is somewhat a cop out, I do't know why. I assuming she must have photo memory (get it?) to pull off the characters weapons at ease.

Anyone notice that bully guy was with the teacher but when the dialogues came, he just vanish? What's the point of showing him if they had no used for him than just being a background character?

Either way I did liked the episode.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Scarim Coral said:
I'm not so convince that is the last time we will see of Touchwich (remember that guy getting eaten by the baby Kaiju from Pacific Rim) but on the other hand I won't be suprised if he does stayed dead. At this point of the series, he is no longer the main antogonist that is if he was the main villain in the first place.

I find the students stuggling to fight the mech somewhat inconsistant. I mean Team RWBY took one out piloted by Touchwich and several of them couldn't defeat two of them? Ok yes several of them bunch together is not as coordinated as a team that knows each other. Still I just find it weird that they are struggling to something that isn't threatening or powerful.

Also I felt Velvet ability is somewhat a cop out, I do't know why. I assuming she must have photo memory (get it?) to pull off the characters weapons at ease.

Anyone notice that bully guy was with the teacher but when the dialogues came, he just vanish? What's the point of showing him if they had no used for him than just being a background character?

Either way I did liked the episode.
Yeah, I doubt Torchwick is dead, but it was still a crappy end to that fight.

The Mech Torchwick was piloting lost because Yang has story-breaker powers. Which the mechs conveniently didn't activate.

"Rule #190 of anime: If there is a super-powered character nearby with glowing blonde hair, congrats you're useless now."

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
monkeymangler said:
Since Izanagi stopped doing the reviews, I figure I'll do it since I liked the series since its inception, though I admit that the animation quality has plummeted since Monty Oum's tragic death.
I think it's improved.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
09philj said:
monkeymangler said:
I think it's improved.
You're gonna need to argue that point. Speed in particular has been terrible since Monty's death, and perspective has a similar problem. The animations are much less fluid, including some jarringly choppy moments.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
monkeymangler said:
09philj said:
monkeymangler said:
I think it's improved.
You're gonna need to argue that point. Speed in particular has been terrible since Monty's death, and perspective has a similar problem. The animations are much less fluid, including some jarringly choppy moments.
The combat animations aren't as good as they used to be, but the out of combat animation has definitely shown an improvement. Also, Monty didn't animate ALL the fight scenes in volumes 1 and 2, just the best ones, but if you compare the non-Monty fight scenes of the past to the current fight scenes, again, there's definitely improvement. So while you could say that there's been a quality decrease in some of the animation this season due to his loss, if you look at it from an overall standpoint it has improved.

Also, on the subject of Torchwick's death, it's bad writing because it leaves the audience extremely unsatisfied, but there's also some logical reasoning behind it. I recently listened to the commentary on the season 2 DVD and they pointed out that one of Ruby's weaknesses as a fighter is that she absolutely can not do shit all when she's disarmed. The Torchwick scene clearly seems to be showing that that weakness is still intact, and no amount of grit and determination to win is gonna change it. At the same time, Torchwick still needs to be removed from play even if Ruby herself can't do it. Viewed from that perspective, their decision to kill him off that way at least makes sense, even if it was still ultimately a pretty poor decision to make.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Gizen said:
monkeymangler said:
09philj said:
monkeymangler said:
I think it's improved.
The combat animations aren't as good as they used to be, but the out of combat animation has definitely shown an improvement. Also, Monty didn't animate ALL the fight scenes in volumes 1 and 2, just the best ones, but if you compare the non-Monty fight scenes of the past to the current fight scenes, again, there's definitely improvement. So while you could say that there's been a quality decrease in some of the animation this season due to his loss, if you look at it from an overall standpoint it has improved.

Also, on the subject of Torchwick's death, it's bad writing because it leaves the audience extremely unsatisfied, but there's also some logical reasoning behind it. I recently listened to the commentary on the season 2 DVD and they pointed out that one of Ruby's weaknesses as a fighter is that she absolutely can not do shit all when she's disarmed. The Torchwick scene clearly seems to be showing that that weakness is still intact, and no amount of grit and determination to win is gonna change it. At the same time, Torchwick still needs to be removed from play even if Ruby herself can't do it. Viewed from that perspective, their decision to kill him off that way at least makes sense, even if it was still ultimately a pretty poor decision to make.
I remember reading something, somewhere that said that Torchwick wasn't even supposed to have made it this far into the show in the first place but his popularity after his first few appearances changed RT's plans. Kinda like what happened with Pacifica Northwest from Gravity Falls.The point being, Torchwick had long since served his purpose in the story and Miles and Kerry needed to write him out somehow. In that context having him get eaten makes a bit more sense I suppose.

LawAndChaos

Nice things are gone
Aug 29, 2014
Yeah for those really wondering, if I recall correctly in a dev livestream Torchwick is deader than dead, and ain't coming back.

I don't like this darker edgier thing they're doing. I mean, the story was pretty sloppy before, but I could see a few glimmers of light in there that it could've been way more than it is. To me this darker edgier stuff is a violent (no pun intended) shift in tone that removes the little charm the show originally had.

I believe Miles and Kerry listened to critics who complained there were no stakes in the story by removing the risk of death, and are taking it to a conclusion that will kill the show's initial humor and charm.

Good on them for digging the hole too deep in the first place by trying to do a 'big epic story arc' before they had anything thoroughly developed, or even an idea of what they really wanted to do (which is reflected in their "throw it in" attitude that permeated the first 2 volumes).

I'll give them credit though, I am still following this show, albeit not watching it as much. The thing about a derailed train like this one is that you wonder how far across the burning earth it will skid before it finally stops. Maybe that's what Miles and Kerry intend from this point forward.