Ryan Davis RIP 1979-2013

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/ryan-davis-1979-2013/1100-4685/

...words cannot describe...wow. My thoughts and prayers go out to giantbomb, Ryan will be dearly missed.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, I'm kind of still in shock at the moment. It's a mixture of sadness that someone like him has died, and then uproarious laughter when you watch some of the stuff he was in.

RIP Ryan Davis. 34 is far too young for anyone to die.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I was gonna make a post about this.. it is very sad.
I didn't personally know him, but he seemed like a really cool guy, I was always looking forward to his quicklooks and their bombcasts. Very big loss :(

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Might have been cardiac arrest?

Or maybe irony...
I mean this in the most respectful way because I think if Ryan could, he would have had a laugh about this.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
Sad to hear about this. I remember when I saw him review games on gamespot like Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, or One of the Mario Games.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Yeah, just read about this. Honestly I thought it was a joke or something at first but it seems pretty serious. I didn't watch much Giantbomb in the long run but whenever I did Ryan was a really funny guy, and looking around he seemed to just be a nice, sincere person. This absolutely sucks and I just hope his family and the rest of the GiantBomb crew can keep a positive attitude.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
AC10 said:
Might have been cardiac arrest?
It probably was. It had to be sudden or someone would of picked up on it. It wasn't an accident or it'd be reported all over the place. Bad luck to him though.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Sad, sad news :( I think I have to buy some New Balance shoes to honor his memory (or alternatively drink some breast milk).

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
JUST found this out. A real shock. I let out a "Oh my God, no way!". Certainly wasn't expecting this! Can't even get on Giantbomb. Guess everyone sort of crashed it.

Seemed like a really friendly duder, and I always found him to be one of the funnier people who did Quick Looks at Giant Bomb. Still remember the Persona 4 endurance Run he started.

And right after he get's married too. That's gotta suck. They still haven't said the cause of death, but hopefully it wasn't anything painful! I do wonder what it was.

Really sad. Can't imagine how the Giantbomb crew and Ryan's family is dealing with it.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Rest in peace Ryan; you will be missed. I hope the best for his family and the GB crew.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
What a fucking tragedy. This is awful news. I was really hoping this would be a sick joke. My feels hurt.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Longtime fan of the Giant Bomb and it's founders Ryan Davis and Jeff Gerstmann. It's amazing how many things I can remember laughing about when recalling Ryan Davis. I doubt I'll ever fill the void of his passing but I'll damn sure try to live up to his ideal.

Sing, dance and be merry and don't care who knows it.

I wAs NeVeR hErE

Jan 23, 2013
Today is probably the worst day I have ever experience. Today my brother moved out and it was a whole sad event with my family and then I try to cheer up with a GiantBomb crew video, While looking at the front page of the site I see Ryan Davis, 1979 - 2013. I go that can't mean what i know it means, then when i read it i say, "this has to be a prank." After looking at IGN, GamesSpot, and other sites for half an hour to see if they say anything different; they all concluded with his passing, what sadness it was, and all the laugh and jeers he help cause. I still feel in denial,but either way it is very sad and hope his spouse and the GiantBomb crew are doing alright. Rest in Peace Ryan Davis, Heaven has gotten better with you there.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I had a Giantbomb quicklook, that Mr.Davis was in, paused when I saw the news of his death and it was shocking to say the least. I remember him doing video reviews back with Gamespot and he was one of my favourites on the Giantbomb crew...it's sad to see him go so early.

Chie

Jun 29, 2013
Long time Giantbomb fan... very sad about this news. I didn't want to believe it when I saw the thread on Neogaf. He was the same age I am... so unbelievable to lose someone so young, and after such a happy event! I always liked Ryan because he reminded me of my husband... so it made me extra sad to see the news. Good thoughts to his new wife Anna... I can't imagine the pain she must be going through.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
When I read the news (1979 - 2013) I thought it was some guffaw of some sort.
Like he managed to come across something so awful that he "died" and was making a comedic story about it.
Perhaps he even made a retrospective of his life up to the point of being married and planned to move on from the site.
Something along those lines. Then I read the story and kind of stared. He was actually gone. No, "terminal illness with heartfelt goodbyes", just here fine and dandy one day and gone the next. His last actions likely being finishing and briefly criticizing Once upon a time in the West and retiring to a nap from which he would not wake from. Sleep apnea, heat stroke, heart complications or a sinister combination of the three would appear to be the likely culprit.

My respects and condolences issued to where they are needed.
But I can't say I'm sad at the present about what happened. It just seems unreal, like he's out there still.
Though likely in a toga, wings and having a halo of light above his head as his rants continue on in a different plane.
I'm half expecting him to just walk in on the next mail-bag dressed as such and asking Jeff "what's in the box?".
July/3/2013 was the day games journalism lost a great guy.

Oh yeah, and him finally getting married.
And not even a few days later...damn, it's like a sick joke.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Didn't really read Giant Bomb but I knew the impact and the respect Ryan Davis had in the industry, and I can tell it's definitely worse off without him.

Even so, any death is a tragedy, especaially at such a young age. My condolences to his friends and family.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Finally got on the internet around 11:30 this night (Was working) checked Giant Bomb...and then saw that.

What a fucking gut-punch. RIP Ryan Davis, it's always Tuesday in heaven...